Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question, front rims with flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mlindner
For those of you with flared fenders and running 7 x 15 front rims with 23.3mm offsets.
Are spacers needed for the correct look, or does the 7 inch rim with the 23.3mm offset do the job. Any one running 8 x 15 square. Best, Mark...Ops wrong forum. can this be moved to Garage
Racer
"correct look" is subject to interpretation.

1) yes, 7x15s give a certain look
2) some will run spacers behind to fill the fenders even better
3) some also run 8x15s square.
4) some run 8s front and 9s rear.
5) some run 7s front and 8s rear

Depending on how you use your "tribute", what tends to happen in low speed environments (parking, staging etc) is that more than a 225 front tire (which would fit on either a 7 or 8) becomes hard to move .
mepstein
If you already have the hubs with standard length studs and a 7" wheel with 205's, run it and see what you like. If you want to move the wheels out an inch, grab 944 spacers and longer studs, it's easy to press out the old studs and add new. If you go too wide, you may loose that nimble, easy to turn 914 steering feel but a good alignment guy can negate most issues.

The classic flared setup is 7 with 205's on the front and 8 with 225 on the rear but it's your car to play with. driving.gif
mlindner
Thanks Dave, yes subject to interpretation. But thanks for the input. Wish I would have put longer studs on the front. This was going to be mostly a track car....but I'm getting a little old. Will do some DE's, auto-x and hill climbs. Best, Mark
mlindner
Hi mepstein, yup hubs with standard studs. and your tires sizes 205/225 7 and 8's are what I am thinking. On the rear I have longer studs, I think 60mm so have some leeway. Again, thanks for the input. Mark
defianty
Although I have 7x16's on the front of mine the offset is the same. I have 23mm spacers on the front and the wheels fill the arches well in my opinion.

IPB Image
sixnotfour
8s and 9s
1st pic 205 qnd 225 pilot sport cup
2nd 225 and 245...bridgestones..oldy but goodies
sixnotfour
SirAndy
ClayPerrine

beerchug.gif first.gif

It wouldnt be spacer post with out a JP Stein quote..
The fact is the 914 front suspension ( & early 911) is limited.
I've tried 10 inch wide front wheels ( & fat slicks) for AX and they are a disaster.
8 inchers are about the upper limit if ya want to go around a tight corner. If you like a heap of understeer, they'll work. A bunch of steering effort goes along with em'.

It's a scrub radius issue. It was not for nothing that I got that fixed. You can take my word for it or go down that dead end.....it doan make no difference to me.
mlindner
defiantly and sixnotfour, thanks for the great shots, beautiful cars.
Cairo94507
Defiantly & Sixnotfour, both of your cars are beautiful. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
16x8 225/50's 23mm and 16x9 255/50's assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
15 or 16x7 looks great on a narrow body car, they look out of place on a flared car without spacers.

I think I read a post from a long time ago stating that the placement of the flares on the front may allow or limit the front wheel width due to the tire hitting the flare at full lock.

If I remember right they were positioned about a 1/2 towards the rear of the car, rather than centered on the original wheel opening. Not sure if that is a bunch of hooey, would love to know if that is true or not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.