Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help car not cranking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joshlm
So 2 days ago I was driving my 914, was doing fine all day and then I came home and about 20min later I went to start it and nothing. It’s not cranking at all. I charged and checked the battery, it’s fine (12.7v , Under load it’s 12.2v). I tried tapping the starter solenoid and nothing. I used screwdrivers to check and when I made a contact between 2 points on the solenoid I got a buzzing sounds does this mean my starter is fine? The car did not crank, but I heard the starter operating. When I made a connection between the actual starter and the solenoid I just got sparks.

With the key on accessory mode the radio and electronic work. Recently the generator light went out but I haven’t had a chance to look at it. I checked the voltage at the solenoid and it was fine (12.7). I can’t check my earths right now because my multimeter doesn’t have the continuity option (it’s the $7 harbor freight one).

Does 72 have the under passenger seat relays? I didn’t see anything under the seat in my car. What do I need to test / check on my relays in the engine compartment? And does that yellow wire need to be connected to the solenoid? I didn’t see anywhere it would have mounted.

Thanks in advance

72’ 1.8

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Joshlm
Click to view attachment
mkinne
Looks like the yellow wire is hanging loose in your first pic.
Shouldn't it go to the spade terminal (hidden in your pic) at the top of the solenoid?

-M
rhodyguy
You need to clean your relay board and all that goes with that. The leaf is a nice touch.
ndfrigi
also check your ignition key/switch
sixnotfour
beer3.gif Rands photo
Joshlm
I got it figured out, it was that yellow wire. Next I will do a good electrical cleaning. Thanks!
mzalanka
QUOTE(Joshlm @ Jul 30 2019, 02:01 PM) *

I got it figured out, it was that yellow wire. Next I will do a good electrical cleaning. Thanks!

Also - just to mention - often these cars have hot start issues caused by increased resistance in the 50ish year old harness when warm. The symptom is failure to crank when warm, with normal cranking after the engine cools.

There are other options out there but - the Bosch hot start relay - WR1 - will fix this and is an easy 15 minute install.
porschetub
QUOTE(mzalanka @ Jul 31 2019, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Joshlm @ Jul 30 2019, 02:01 PM) *

Also - just to mention - often these cars have hot start issues caused by increased resistance in the 50ish year old harness when warm. The symptom is failure to crank when warm, with normal cranking after the engine cools.

There are other options out there but - the Bosch hot start relay - WR1 - will fix this and is an easy 15 minute install.

No appears not,its a lightweight cure,member Mark Henry got me on to his cheap Ford relay install,works great ... check it out .
Appears you have a rebuilt starter..some have had issues with these.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Joshlm @ Jul 30 2019, 05:01 PM) *

I got it figured out, it was that yellow wire.

Worst thing about 914's: Archaic Spade Connectors. The lack of water proofing and positive locking is simply hilarious as compared to modern vehicles.

Best thing about 914's: Archaic Spade Connectors. Available everywhere and easy to fix.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 30 2019, 10:33 PM) *

Also worth mentioning that before you resort to hot start relay and other modifications, a 0 ohm connection between engine/trans to the body (i.e. chassis ground) is a must. You can have the best wiring up top but a high resistance ground at the ground strap will defeat you.

I've seen cars without a ground strap between the body and the engine and then all sorts of crazy wiring mods and secondary relays added as band aid's. Simply fixing the ground strap and reverting to OEM wiring was the solution.

Keep in mind, without a ground strap, electricity will find alternate ground path's, like your clutch cable. Using clutch cable a a ground quickly leads to clutch cable failure.
Rand
I feel your love Jeff. poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 1 2019, 10:57 AM) *

I feel your love Jeff. poke.gif

grouphug.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 31 2019, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Joshlm @ Jul 30 2019, 05:01 PM) *

I got it figured out, it was that yellow wire.

Worst thing about 914's: Archaic Spade Connectors. The lack of water proofing and positive locking is simply hilarious as compared to modern vehicles.

Best thing about 914's: Archaic Spade Connectors. Available everywhere and easy to fix.

You are so correct, I've learned.
Now I stock these at home along with shrink tubing.

Oscar
Click to view attachment
Rand
Andy you crack me up. Jeff knows I love him. We have WA blood.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.