Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holes in the rear panel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kroelofsen
Hi Guys,
Since 6 weeks I own a 914 1.8 from 1974. Imported to The Netherlands from California. The condiction is basically very nice, very minor hell hole and some rust in the rear of the trunk.
Click to view attachment

The rear end appears to have had some damage which was repaired in a sloppy way. They did some brazing with copper en the seams are untidy (see pics). Also there are 2 round holes which were covered with a plate which was also brazzed on. I removed the 2 plates and the holes in the rear panel are pervfectly round and appear to be standard. Some questions:
1. What are these holes for?
2. What is the standard finish of these holes?
3. I checked already many 914 rear end pics but was never able to see these holes or covers...

Pictures:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thxs for any help...

bretth
The 75 and 76 models used the rubber impact bumpers that need two large holes in the front and rear of the car to mount the bumper shocks. I wonder if someone either replaced the rear panel from a 75-76 donor or the car is a 75-76 with back dated bumpers.

welcome.png
914Sixer
Moron with hole saw. Not a 75-76 rear panel.
Chi-town
75-76 holes would be under the trunk floor level
dlee6204
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jul 31 2019, 10:43 AM) *

75-76 holes would be under the trunk floor level

Trunk floors are different for 75/76 cars. The trunk floor sits higher to allow access for the shocks. It looks to me that a 75/76 taillight panel was welded to the back of the ‘74 car.
Krieger
Drainage? confused24.gif
Tdskip
Any unusual seams in the rear trunk or near firewalls?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly butchery, but maybe someone was pulling out the rear end at one time, and put big pulling plates inside the trunk with loops on them, and needed the holes to clear the chains that were attached to them and then to the frame machine. The large size enabled the chain to move side to side depending on the pulling angle needed???
sixnotfour
75-76 with backdated bumper holes
SirAndy
QUOTE(bretth @ Jul 31 2019, 05:29 AM) *
The 75 and 76 models used the rubber impact bumpers that need two large holes in the front and rear of the car to mount the bumper shocks. I wonder if someone either replaced the rear panel from a 75-76 donor or the car is a 75-76 with back dated bumpers.

agree.gif

Those are the holes for the late model bumper shocks.

Since your rear trunk floor looks like an early one, i think it is safe to say that someone put a late model rear panel on that car.
dry.gif

PS: welcome.png
kroelofsen
Everyone massive thanks for the information... Now I understand what they did. Going to correct it the best way possible. And get rid of rust forming in the brazing.

beer.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.