Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push rod tube O rings....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi all...are the O rings in the Victor Reinz gasket set acceptable?
Are they Viton? They are green if that matters...
Thanks
injunmort
they work for me
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the viton ones are black, but the green work just fine with the limited number of miles we are now putting on our cars: HOWEVER, as labor is expensive to change them and the viton seals are not very much money, I would CERTAINLY install them rather than the green or rust colored originals
MikeM
Thanks, as always....
IronHillRestorations
I've seen viton seals I wouldn't use, poor quality with flashing. If your green ones are from a Victor Reinz kit, I'd use them, just don't goop them up with RTV.

I use a very thin smear of Loctite 565 on the seals just before putting them on the tubes, and then install right away.
get off my lawn
Viton is Ok with motor oil, but not great. it can't take heat pretty good too.
Buna N is preferable for this application and probably what you have in them green things.

Neoprene would last about 2 minutes, that stuff is pretty much only good for water.
Teflon is great for chemical rresistance but doesn't have much memory (spring back) and can cold-flow so would only be good for a little while.
The best would be a perfluroelastomer like Kalzez or Chemrez ™ but they would cost $100 each or more.

Wait where was I?
Oh yeah, Buna N. good.

einic
Viton with no[b] sealant
Highland
Are the pushrod o-rings standard size 212 and 214 or are they a custom size?
porschetub
Yep gluing them in will cause leaks as the engine grows as it expands and cools,clean fit and some oil on them is the trick.
Used to glue in the T1 seals but that's a very different setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.