Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio ID Help Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Does anyone have any information about Motorola 5VW2808 radios? I snared a possible NOS one recently (awaiting delivery) and am curious to what model year VWs they were originally installed in. It looks a lot like a Sapphire XIV or XXV, but without the extra stereo/mono switch, and is supposedly from around 1975. I know it's probably not correct, but it certainly looks appropriate for my '74 2.0. I could not find this radio on the Sapphire lists that are usually referenced here. Hope there is a radio guru out there who knows something about this red herring. Thanks.

Ansbacher
Tampa Bay, Florida

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
It looks like an early VW Rabbit radio. Motorola's were used in VW, Audi and Porsche. Same radio, just different faceplate kits for each model. Need pictures of the rear panel and any numbers or decals to better ID radio. A little cross checking 5VW indicates it was built in 1975.
Ansbacher
914Sixer: Here are some more pics to help. Yes, it might be from a Rabbit, but I really like it. Thanks for analyzing this!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Sixer
Yes it is a VW Rabbit radio. You are going to need a special plug for speaker out put. It is a mono radio.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 31 2019, 03:21 PM) *

Yes it is a VW Rabbit radio. You are going to need a special plug for speaker out put. It is a mono radio.

Thanks for the confirmation and info 914Sixer.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.