Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The road to the Quail passes through Oscar's garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Heading home from LA after a marathon weekend at @valcooscar 's getting the car ready for the Quail. including...

– Repainting the hood (had a large ding / cracked paint that couldn't pass for patina.)

– Prep and painting the front & rear bumpers, rocker covers and valences the correct finish (were gloss black before). This required new rockers from AA and a correct rear bumper (was previously early-style...ad in classifieds btw).

– Refinishing and re-lettering the engine grille

– Changing out the front ti...er...bumperettes with new from AA.

– Replacing calipers at all four corners

– Swapping out the Monza muffler to (finally) get rid of the shin cutters and bring the look back to stock. Special thanks to nearby member @Brian_Fuerbach for answering my SOS and same-day selling me his lightly used Dansk.

Now the all-important shout outs...

None of this would have been possible without @valcooscar 's incredible generosity and hospitality. Seriously. From offering up garage space, to prepping my parts, accepting a dozen pacakges and coordinating with the painter, Oscar went so far above and beyond that it's embarassing. I don't have a big enough megaphone for a proper shout out. I hope he heads east at some point so I can begin to return the favor(s).

Thanks @914_7T3 for his help all-around and especially his OCD about NOS. Thanks to Jeffrey, I was able to replace some worn and tired parts with pieces that look like they just left the factory. It was also fun to lend a hand with his beautiful car...which is well on its way to being back on the road. He led the PPC (Porsche Prayer Circle) which I'm sure made the wrench Gods happy.

Bruce @bdstone914 is a rockstar on all things 914. When he learned I was doing the brakes, he volunteered to load up a bunch of tools and parts in his car and drive all the way to Oscar's, Like a doctor making a housecall. If it weren't for Bruce, I think I still might be trying to get the rear caliper bolts in. He even followed up with PMB on his own the next day to make sure we did everything by the book.

@ed_turbo was our swiss army knife...super helpful in keeping all of our projects rolling. Really cool to see the red car that's been in his family since new. Glad he's able to give some of the parts from my car a new life.

@Eric_Shea hooked me up with some seriously beautiful works of art...I mean calipers. In a way, it's too bad these things will be exposed to the elements and lose some of their sparkle.

Thanks @matty900 and the gang at 914Rubber for making those little (and big) bits and pieces that keep our cars looking great and on the road. The engine welting and grille lettering look awesome.

@dr914@autoatlanta.com thanks for carrying new rocker covers...they look great on the car and are a great value. One friendly suggestion...you may want to give buyers a heads up that they require a decent amount of fitment tweaking. Probably 3 hours per side.

Anyway...Just one more brake bleed and I think she's ready to make the trip up to Monterey.

I continue to be astounded by our incredible community. As this car rolls onto the lawn at the Quail, I'll smile knowing that it's really representing everyone here on 914World. They say it takes a village...or a world!

Ian

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dion
Awesome stuff Ian. Have a blast for us living vicariously through you! aktion035.gif
Hats off to all. Well done gents.
Cheers
bdstone914
@cuddy_kb

Bruce @bdstone914 is a rockstar on all things 914. When he learned I was doing the brakes, he volunteered to load up a bunch of tools and parts in his car and drive all the way to Oscar's, Like a doctor making a housecall. If it weren't for Bruce, I think I still might be trying to get the rear caliper bolts in. He even followed up with PMB on his own the next day to make sure we did everything by the book.

I have been called a lot of things but never called a Rockstar.
aktion035.gif

Maybe like Keith Richards. lol-2.gif

sb914
Well said! I have to agree. Oscar is a special person. His generosity goes way beyond 914 world. Honestly I’ve never really met a more easygoing person. And I’m proud to be a friend. Good person through and through.
Larmo63
Oscar has taken me to numerous Laker games, hosted build parties, offered up friendship, and even gave me an LED light that is a really useful tool.

Every time I use that light, I am reminded of what a generous and nice friend Oscar has been to me.

He might be able to walk on water, I wouldn't doubt it.

WWOD.
effutuo101
Very cool! Nice to see this.
ndfrigi
oh yes Oscar is the best and too generous that he blessed me a complete engine. He told me if I buy the 74 roller project (no engine) from a friend and a member here, Oscar will give me the engine so I can go back to 914 again!

Here is the engine and the roller I bought last year.

Thanks again Oscar! God will surely blessed you abundantly including your family!

@ValcoOscar

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Thanks for the kind words. I sincerely enjoy helping when I can. I couldn't do it without the support of other SoCall members who are always willing to come over and share their knowledge and time. It's truly a win win for all. beerchug.gif

Oscar
mb911
Oscar,

Your a good man.. Some day I want to meet ..

mmichalik
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 31 2019, 07:42 PM) *

Oscar has taken me to numerous Laker games, hosted build parties, offered up friendship, and even gave me an LED light that is a really useful tool.

Every time I use that light, I am reminded of what a generous and nice friend Oscar has been to me.

He might be able to walk on water, I wouldn't doubt it.

WWOD.

I like that WWOD. biggrin.gif
I've only met Oscar once, at the BBQ he hosted last summer but, he was a very gracious person and all of these comments do not surprise me at all. Everything I've seen and experienced falls in line with everyone's thoughts.
Rand
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 1 2019, 03:17 AM) *

Oscar,

Your a good man.. Some day I want to meet ..

You are. You're a good man Oscar. I appreciate learning about you. It makes me want to learn more. Thank you.
Ed_Turbo
Nice to meet you Ian ( @cuddy_K ). Good to meet other car guys and I am glad I can help you out.

Complete brake job on all four wheels is no biggie shades.gif

-Ed
wes
I certainly owe Oscar at lest a pat on the back for all the extra time and work he put into my bumpers, a big thanks to you Oscar. pray.gif
whitetwinturbo
..........I've said it before: "Oscar rules" and the rest of the gang makes West Coast dudes great........ beerchug.gif
burton73
QUOTE(wes @ Aug 1 2019, 10:43 PM) *

I certainly owe Oscar at lest a pat on the back for all the extra time and work he put into my bumpers, a big thanks to you Oscar. pray.gif

Yes Oscar is number 1 in my book.

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.