Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surface rust on underside--How bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
I changed the oil and filter last weekend, and finally had some time to look at the car a little more closely while it was up in the air. Things seem to look pretty solid for a car this age, but there appears to be a lot of surface rust. I know rust doesn't get better on it's own (it never sleeps), so I'm wondering what to do in the near term to slow things down.

Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

anderssj
and a couple more:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Back in 1960's MN, the guy down the street "painted" the underside of his car with used motor oil. blink.gif It seemed like his car lasted longer than ours...

I guess I'm looking for kind of an interim fix--something to hold what I've got until the engine comes out for a rebuild and/or suspension goes to 5 lug.

TIA!

IronHillRestorations
For starters, clean and degrease it really good. If it's not going to be a concours restoration, I'd probably paint it with Ospho, or POR15
Rand
Ospho. It's just hydrochoric acid but it kills rust. Then paint to seal it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would say that that is a very clean looking car! Maybe rub it down with some rust preventative As clean as it is, I would not coat it with anything heavy like paint or stone guard nor SKS. "rust off" by wurth is a good spray to use

QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 1 2019, 05:28 AM) *

I changed the oil and filter last weekend, and finally had some time to look at the car a little more closely while it was up in the air. Things seem to look pretty solid for a car this age, but there appears to be a lot of surface rust. I know rust doesn't get better on it's own (it never sleeps), so I'm wondering what to do in the near term to slow things down.
twistedstang
That's a rust free car here in Michigan. You would be happy to see the underside of a 2 year old car look that nice!
amfab
That sure looks pretty solid from the pictures.
Pull the rocker covers and poke at the longs. That will tell you more.

-Andrew
Tdskip
Looks quite good, do what the guys have suggested.

Congratulations.
anderssj
Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Not concours--maybe preservation class?

Anyways, it will get a good cleaning, then maybe start with Wurth's "Rust Off" as the good Dr. suggested.
Rand
I don't think you need to worry about it. What's under there is mostly schmutz. There are other places you need to worry about rust.
anderssj
Thanks, yeah, I seem to be getting more OCD as I get older (should be CDO--alphabetical order).

We re-did the longs back in 1992, then added the Engman inside long kit a few years ago. Battery tray and hell-hole are good. Cowl area seems pretty good too. Even the ears for the rear suspension look pretty solid.

I had 2 tours (6-7 years) in the Seattle-Tacoma area and the car saw a lot of rain. Fortunately not much salt. The car has lived in the garage since '92--that's helped a lot.

Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.