Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: perfect fit tail lights and tail light bodies are here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
these fit and look great, finally a solution to the old tail light bodies and now perfect fit lenses as well Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=706
970]
Ferg
Let's see them mounted on a car
thelogo
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 1 2019, 01:15 PM) *

these fit and look great, finally a solution to the old tail light bodies and now perfect fit lenses as well

Thats a bold statement
914Sixer
Looking Good popcorn[1].gif
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 1 2019, 01:21 PM) *

Let's see them mounted on a car

That's where the rubber meets the road or...er....where the tail light meets the body...
jagalyn
George, Thanks for producing these. If they truly seal up the water issues that have plagued the 914 for the last 50 years that will be a great contribution to many who love these cars.
raynekat
George, are the tail light bodies on your site? How much for a pair?
bbrock
Have you considered selling just the reflector assemblies. I'll bet a lot of us have good housings with flaking and tarnished reflectors.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
usually by now the housings are brittle and or warped. The reflectors are a bit difficult to install because of the wiring, hence we just have the complete bolt in body.

Yes they are on our site along with the lenses

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2019, 08:43 AM) *

Have you considered selling just the reflector assemblies. I'll bet a lot of us have good housings with flaking and tarnished reflectors.

raynekat
I agree George....most used housings I've seen are toast. Many times people put in the wrong bulb that's too hot and end up melting the housing. Or the corners have been broken off. Or the rubber seal between the housing and the body goes bad, they leak water, instead of replacing the seal, people tighten the bejeezus out of the housing and end up cracking or tweeking the housing so that's it's ruined. I'd say those that just need the reflector are definitely in the minority.

Happy you are offering the entire assembly. I'll be buying a set soon to see how they look and fit.
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 3 2019, 05:29 PM) *

I agree George....most used housings I've seen are toast. Many times people put in the wrong bulb that's too hot and end up melting the housing. Or the corners have been broken off. Or the rubber seal between the housing and the body goes bad, they leak water, instead of replacing the seal, people tighten the bejeezus out of the housing and end up cracking or tweeking the housing so that's it's ruined. I'd say those that just need the reflector are definitely in the minority.

Happy you are offering the entire assembly. I'll be buying a set soon to see how they look and fit.

I'll take your word. I haven't seen enough to know, but do the repros have this?

Click to view attachment

It would be nice to be able to refurbish OE housings that are worth saving. I also think its great that compete units are being offered, but the notion that replacing reflector assemblies is too difficult is pretty silly considering what so many of us are doing with these cars. I get it if the market doesn't pencil out though. beerchug.gif
Jett
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2019, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 3 2019, 05:29 PM) *

I'll take your word. I haven't seen enough to know, but do the repros have this?

Click to view attachment

It would be nice to be able to refurbish OE housings that are worth saving. I also think its great that compete units are being offered, but the notion that replacing reflector assemblies is too difficult is pretty silly considering what so many of us are doing with these cars. I get it if the market doesn't pencil out though. beerchug.gif

G-Car (http://gcartrim.com/) will re-chrome the plastic... they re-chrome the early fog lights as well.

Btw. George, great looking part! Do you have the housing to body seals that more closely resemble stock?
Larmo63
Shouldn't this be in the vendor or parts for sale section along with the dumb plastic 80's rocker covers?

Maybe Autos Atlanta should have a website?

Oh, never mind.
Jett
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 3 2019, 08:56 AM) *

usually by now the housings are brittle and or warped. The reflectors are a bit difficult to install because of the wiring, hence we just have the complete bolt in body.

Yes they are on our site along with the lenses

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2019, 08:43 AM) *

George, just looked and did not see the housings for sale.
scallyk9
I also could not find the listings on the AA website.
raynekat
Search "914 tail light body" on the AutoAtlanta site and you'll find it.

They use the same pic for left and right, but they're there.
bandjoey
thanks for the heads up. planning on a little paint work in the fall and my 'good' tail lights have been resprayed with chrome paint and the plastic is crusty.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 4 2019, 01:02 PM) *

Shouldn't this be in the vendor or parts for sale section along with the dumb plastic 80's rocker covers?

Oh, never mind.

agree.gif

av-943.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif .
Valy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 1 2019, 01:15 PM) *

these fit and look great, finally a solution to the old tail light bodies and now perfect fit lenses as well Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=706
970]

Beautiful!
orthobiz
Other vendors introduce products in the garage area...I think they look great, George!

Paul
dr914@autoatlanta.com
thank you, between 914 rubber and autoatlanta we hope to make it easier for 914 owners to get the parts they need and want. I am constantly on the lookout

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 5 2019, 02:31 PM) *

Other vendors introduce products in the garage area...I think they look great, George!

Paul

rhodyguy
Most if not all vendors showcase new offerings in the garage. I don't know WTF.gif the issue is. Questions will be asked, hopefully answered and the thread will fade away. Got a beef? Ignore and Move along. Pricing on the parts IN the thread would be helpful and spare potential buyers from performing a potentially frustrating and time eating search that may or may not provide results. REQUIRING that the garage showcased part price be posted in garage announcements might be a good thing.
Mikey914
Yes pricing is a good thing.
We will also be stocking $375 a side with lens.
rhodyguy
Thank you Mark.
horizontally-opposed
A year and a half~ later, it appears these are sold out at both 914rubber and AA.

What's the latest on these? Were they pulled for problems? Were they great? Would love to hear from anyone who bought them, and vendors re: availability.
Montreal914
popcorn[1].gif

One noticeable difference between the reproduction lenses and the original Hella is on the side. AA are clear, Hella are scalloped. dry.gif But at this price, one has to be ready to compromise.

Original Hella:
Click to view attachment

AA replicas:
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 14 2021, 04:43 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

One noticeable difference between the reproduction lenses and the original Hella is on the side. AA are clear, Hella are scalloped. dry.gif But at this price, one has to be ready to compromise.

Original Hella:
Click to view attachment

AA replicas:
Click to view attachment

^ Very interesting. I wonder why such a detail was missed?

Searching by "914 tail light body" does bring the housings up, but no more lenses. Which begs the obvious question of how the new housings work with old lenses…
Montreal914
[/quote]
^ Very interesting. I wonder why such a detail was missed?
[/quote]

Not missed, simplified to use a simple mold.
Mikey914
We have more coming in from Germany now. I’ll post up a new thread. We have also made the front turn signals,
IN Aluminum
mate914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 5 2019, 01:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 4 2019, 01:02 PM) *

Oh, never mind.

agree.gif

av-943.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif .

Why? What did you do to make new parts?
Dont be a Richard!
pfreiburger
Hello all – I purchased a set of the European tail lamp lenses from Auto Atlanta and I am very pleased with them. They look good, not as precisely made as a Hella of course, but they are also 1/3 the price – I paid $199.50 for the set. The fit with the original lens housings is good, as long as the lenses are attached to the housings first and then installed. Also, unlike the picture above, the sides are fluted like the OEM lenses. Installed pictures below, cheers!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
Are these gaps normal.??
They seem to be the same on both sides
But do the originals fit like that...???

Click to view attachment

My old beat up originals look like this..

Click to view attachment

Montreal914
Glad to see the optical details are in the lens but as mentioned, the fit seems off with that gap.

Maybe the whole assembly needs to be shimmed to fix that angle? confused24.gif

Thank you for sharing. smile.gif
pfreiburger
Good Question - I will see if i can get a before picture to compare. Stay tuned.
pfreiburger
I spent some time re-fitting of the AA European lenses this week. Everything appears to be properly seated and the lens gasket is contacting the bulb holder (original Hella) in the right places. That would mean that end of the lens is molded at slightly the wrong angle, resulting in a larger gap at the corner. This is probably the way they were are all made, so if you are interested in a set of these, keep that in mind (I can also supply more pictures). More investigating to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.