Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: She's back on the road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
What started out as a quick tune up turned into 3 months of pain, pleasure, headaches, backaches, money being spent, more money being spent and a lot of lessons learned. I'm a 60's and 70's Ford guy that has come over to the German side so this is all new to me.

Many thanks to the 914World community. I would be well and truly up shit creek without you guys responding to my stupid questions. Hopefully i'll be like you guys soon passing this info down the line.

Thanks to Pelican, Sierra Madre, Auto Atlanta, 914Rubber, 914WERKE for carrying the parts to keep these things on the road.

And an extra shout out to @MEPSTEIN for sending me free of charge the correct ECU for my 1970. Turns out I have the wrong ECU (thanks prior owner for that hidden little gem!...not) and this solved some major problems I've been fighting for the better part of the year. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Jobs done:
-Engine Re-Seal, Thorough cleaning and parts painted
-Valve Adjust
-New FI Harness (Mr. Bowlsby)
-New Engine Shelf, Battery Tray, Support etc.
-Stainless Fuel Lines
-Fuel Pump re-located to under tank with all new lines throughout
-Correct ECU Installed
-Injectors serviced
-All new vacuum lines
-Converted to paper air cleaner (Rich at 914WERKE)

And holy crap did I learn a lot about my car.
I shall continue to "Un-Pimp My Ride" and put it back to stock...funny how it's getting better and better the closer I get it to the way it was! (With the exception of points because those things suck!, lol)

-Rob
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Love this: "...funny how it's getting better and better the closer I get it to the way it was!"

(With the exception of points because those things suck!, lol) But I have always run traditional points, never an issue, ever.

Beautiful 914 BTW.
Mikedrevguy
I feel your love, pain frustration trepidation and appreciation.
Nice job.

don-6
Very nice looking 914.
keep up the good work.
914-300Hemi
Great that she is back on the road. Great looking car.
flyer86d
Very nice!

Charlie
Tbrown4x4
Agreed! Great looking car. Hope to see it in person sometime.

It seems like you just joined us, but you've really made amazing progress. You should be proud
rgalla9146

Great Job !
Beautiful car.
Gatornapper
Congrats, Rob....

Just want to DITTO your words here:

"Many thanks to the 914World community. I would be well and truly up shit creek without you guys responding to my stupid questions. Hopefully i'll be like you guys soon passing this info down the line.

Thanks to Pelican, Sierra Madre, Auto Atlanta, 914Rubber, 914WERKE for carrying the parts to keep these things on the road. "

I still have a way to go before my '76 2.0 is running well - but I'm on the path.......

GN

QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Aug 1 2019, 08:44 PM) *

What started out as a quick tune up turned into 3 months of pain, pleasure, headaches, backaches, money being spent, more money being spent and a lot of lessons learned. I'm a 60's and 70's Ford guy that has come over to the German side so this is all new to me.

Many thanks to the 914World community. I would be well and truly up shit creek without you guys responding to my stupid questions. Hopefully i'll be like you guys soon passing this info down the line.

Thanks to Pelican, Sierra Madre, Auto Atlanta, 914Rubber, 914WERKE for carrying the parts to keep these things on the road.

And an extra shout out to @MEPSTEIN for sending me free of charge the correct ECU for my 1970. Turns out I have the wrong ECU (thanks prior owner for that hidden little gem!...not) and this solved some major problems I've been fighting for the better part of the year. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Jobs done:
-Valve Adjust
-Stainless Fuel Lines
-Correct ECU Installed
-Injectors serviced
-All new vacuum lines

I shall continue to "Un-Pimp My Ride" and put it back to stock...funny how it's getting better and better the closer I get it to the way it was! (With the exception of points because those things suck!, lol)

-Rob
Click to view attachment

twistedstang
As a fellow Ford guy, I understand your pain moving into the world of German cars. After years of knowing your car from one end to the other... everything changes and you're starting over from scratch.
I still have my 62 Galaxie just to keep my sanity. Great looking 914 by the way!
tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(twistedstang @ Aug 2 2019, 07:21 AM) *

As a fellow Ford guy, I understand your pain moving into the world of German cars. After years of knowing your car from one end to the other... everything changes and you're starting over from scratch.
I still have my 62 Galaxie just to keep my sanity. Great looking 914 by the way!

Thanks man! Love Galaxies for sure. I had a 66 Ranchero which we restored from head to toe that I sold to get the 914. My mom has a 1970 Maverick that we converted to a 302 and disc brakes. Dad has a 65 Ranchero and we've got a 70 F250 for dump runs etc. Love all the old Fords but I've always dreamed of Porsche's! Hoping to get a 356 someday.
PeeGreen 914
beerchug.gif Awesome. If ever up in the North Seattle area let me know. I'm at a shop in the Greenwood area and live in Mukilteo. Always fun seeing 914s up and running. piratenanner.gif
9144me2enjoy
Great Job! Great looking 914....
PanelBilly
Great car. Hope to see it soon
scallyk9
Very nice 914! It takes diligence sometimes but great result.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Aug 1 2019, 06:44 PM) *

Jobs done:
-Valve Adjust
-Stainless Fuel Lines
-Correct ECU Installed
-Injectors serviced
-All new vacuum lines

-Rob
Click to view attachment

Great job! I’m in the stages of frustration and excitement....nice to see you come out the other side, love the spoiler....enjoy! And thanks for sharing it...
Jett
Various wheels we spoke offline about.

The first pic are freshly powder coated stock rims with hub caps
The second pic shows a set of four wheels with a painted finish — purchased from a member three years ago
The third pic shows a set recently restored by Al Reed

For your car I would go with the hub caps, which I believe are period correct.
RickS
Looks great with the caps. In fact it is just a great looking car. Congrats on getting her back on the road where she belongs.
mepstein
I'm glad that I could have a 0.001% part of getting your car back on the road. I'm always happy to send a part that will get used vs sitting in a box at my house. driving.gif
malcolm2
It has been several years, but I found great help here too. I remember one night going back and forth to the PC (no lap top or smart phone at the time). @Timothy28_ND had me testing and retesting and changing parts... before I knew it was 2 am. He may have done that with me for several nights. 52000 miles later and my car is a dream to drive not perfect but just right.

Good Luck
Rob-O
Great looking car. Glad to see it back on the road.

There IS a ton of information on this site. But the longer I'm here, the more I hear and see (and am sometimes a recipient of) other members offering up parts for free to help another member get his or her car back on the road. I'm amazed at the generosity of the folks who frequent the board.

914werke
aktion035.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 19 2019, 08:27 AM) *

I'm amazed at the generosity of the folks who frequent the board.

It seems that the more folks get to know you (via your posts) the more they want to help. "pay it forward" that is the name of the game.
porschetub
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 20 2019, 03:27 AM) *

Great looking car. Glad to see it back on the road.

There IS a ton of information on this site. But the longer I'm here, the more I hear and see (and am sometimes a recipient of) other members offering up parts for free to help another member get his or her car back on the road. I'm amazed at the generosity of the folks who frequent the board.

agree.gif I have received free parts from many members on here and in most cases added a bit to the shipping or offered a small payment for the part.
Can't say enough really and never had an issue with parts received.
Would be nice if the OP could comment on the results of his work,could help others doing the same work,I've done some of it and noticed improvements.
beer.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.