Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Broke down on I5 near Los Banos CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Hey guys last minute trip to CA. Borrowed a 6x10 utility trailer to move my daughter. Probably a bit on the heavy side for the load on the trailer. Axle broke off the springs on the passenger side. Axle bent & passenger side tire now behind the trailer. My options are to
A. Get the trailer towed to town. Then find a replacement Axle with springs & get it installed
b; Rent a uhaul to get all her stuff home to Oregon. Then figure something out to fix the trailer & come back for it.
c. Buy a trailer that can both haul all her stuff & the trailer back to Oregon
d. Hell I am open to ideas. Problem is it's my bosses trailer. So I need to fix it anyway to bring it home

I am just past exit 379 northbound on I5. I am literally just past the exit. I dropped my daughter & brother in Los banos at a hotel. I am sitting in my truck back at the exit just watching to make sure none of her stuff get's stolen on the side of the road.

Figured I'd post to see if anyone happens to be close by. I'll work it out somehow tomorrow morning. Not entirely sure I have towing. I do personally but driving my company truck. So not sure if it would count for a trailer. Tow company 20 minutes away wanted $450 to get it back to their shop. Not a chance in hell I do that. Thinking of buying a dual axle car trailer that could haul it all. Still no easy way to get it all loaded up Didn't come with much tool wise.
ndfrigi
@jrust Hi Jaime! hope you’re okay and your daughter and brother!
Not sure what city are you. Can’t google it using exit 379 I-5 CA.
Maybe you can share a picture of the trailer so member have an idea (although you mentioned it is 6x10 already) how big is it and maybe pic of the damaged also.

Do you have AAA card or similar that you can use for flat bed towing service for free to bring the trailer to a shop?

Hope you are safe in that area and hoping a sheriff saw you and checked on you already.

Take care!
914-300Hemi
Hope everything works out.
sixnotfour
roll back tow to safe place , buy parts, send daughter off in a uhaul,,trip just got $$$$$...sucks ..btdt...trailers all neeed maintenance..my buddies trailer he towed his $100k porsche in , just got all new suspension, wheel bearings and 4 tires and wheels for the trip back to wash...my own flat bed got new springs and shackle parts,,,

might be cheeper to just buy a 6x10 trailer , and leave the other.. call your boss..he may nit give a 2 cents either way..its a cheep trailer , at this point..

fudge just googled where you are ,,wow..i left my trailer with a bunch of machines on it at a farmers place once ,,got parts and it was still there 2 days later..yay..

gook luck Jamie tough spot..
lierofox
Exit 379 is W Shields Ave

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B04...;4d-120.7228552

Coordinates should be roughly:
36°46'36.5"N 120°43'22.3"W
36.776803, -120.722855

I know that drive quite well, I've pulled off at that offramp many times to rest on trips up to Sacramento. That said, I don't live anywhere near there. Wish I could be of more help.
ValcoOscar
CALL ME....

I'm heading up near there tomorrow early. I can take my 6 x 10 flat deck, 5 x 8 utility or my P hauler.

Let's talk...

You bringing stuff to SoCal by me? I see you are going up to Oregon. You can borrow my trailer.

Oscar
9144me2enjoy
Jamie sorry I’m not in your area, if you can find someone in your area that has AAA, they can use there AAA to get you towed back. Good luck...Roy
ConeDodger
According to her Facebook feed Jenny was just there yesterday at Harris Ranch. Not that she’d have been a trailer expert. She’s more of a google expert. But she’d have been good company!
Carl La Fong
I can be there in about 2 1/2 hours if you need me. Can I bring something? Tools? Parts? A hug?

Elliot
ValcoOscar
I spoke with Jaime a few minutes ago and he is leaning toward option C, buying a trailer that can both haul all her stuff & the trailer back to Oregon.
Anyone is SoCal have one for sale that maybe I can take up to him?

Oscar

UROpartsman
If you could have someone watch the broken trailer for awhile, you could rent a one-way, dual-axle U-Haul car trailer in Fresno. Also buy a decent-sized come-along (or 12V ATV winch) from Harbor Freight or a farm supply store, and at least four beefy ratchet straps. Big ones.

Use the come-along and straps to pull the bent axle back into position, and strap it in place fore and aft. Doesn't have to be road-worthy; you just need to be able to move the trailer. (If a tire is rubbing on the trailer, use the jack from the tow vehicle to space the axle away from the trailer bed.) Drag the broken trailer onto the U-Haul trailer with the come-along (or friendly locals, who would probably be happy to help), and strap it down. Unload the broken trailer to make it easier to pull it onto the car trailer if you have to.

Good to go. You can drop off the broken trailer at your home or a repair shop in OR and won't have to deal with coming back for it. No need for any towing, storage in CA, or driving back to get it.
UROpartsman
One of the other guys here says you might need to rent a flatbed trailer, he thinks the broken trailer could be too wide to fit onto the U-Haul car trailer. Better do some measuring.

U-Haul could give you the width between the fenders. https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-Transport-Rental/AT/
VegasRacer
Well confused24.gif did you get back on the road or do we need to send a rescue party?
JRust
Thanks for all the tips & Elliot for the gracious offer. I didn't see it until a few minutes ago. Still a nice gesture mr LaFong. LOL! Here is what happened

Looked all morning on Craigslist & trailer stores. Nothing local unfortunately. I did find a local farm store which rents their 6x12 aluminum trailer for $25 a day. I took that out to get my daughter stuff while I tried to figure out what to do. Wen't out to move all he belonging to the rented trailer. Then stopped at an RV store in town with no luck there on an axle. The guy did mention the farm store & that they stock trailer axles. So I go back to the store. I didn't measure everything on my trailer so guestimated & was pretty close. I bought 2 different set's of springs as I did not measure those. Figured to take back the set I didn't need. One of the 2 worked but was about an inch shorter than the old set. Which put the straight down rear pivot angled forward. Not perfect but will get me home as is. I may see if a local shop can move it for me in the morning. Definitely don't have the tools for that. I still need to get a tire int he morning as well. All in all today still pretty much sucked but I didn't break anything else confused24.gif .

I should be on the road by noon. I will not be setting the alarm. Dozing in my truck last night did not involve much sleep
Andyrew
Not sure how I completely missed this thread...

Your welcome to all my tools and resources. Including my welder if needed (can't 100% tell if that's what your looking to do with the springs).
JRust
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 2 2019, 10:53 PM) *

Not sure how I completely missed this thread...

Your welcome to all my tools and resources. Including my welder if needed (can't 100% tell if that's what your looking to do with the springs).

Your good man. Sorry I didn't make it to the BBQ today. You were only a little over an hour away. We were just ready to hit the road home. Still didn't happen until about 11 this morning. Had to unload the rental trailer then reload my borrowed trailer. Still had one more snag with my spare wheel. Think it had a bend in it. Heard a bit of noise about Willow CA as I was passing a semi. Pulled off for gas & to check things out. My wheel was barely still on. All the holes had completely ovaled out. I literally was able to pull the wheel off without removing the lugnuts. All the studs were loose as well. Hard to believe I barely noticed that. I removed & replaced the hub as new studs wouldn't have seated in the loose holes. Only took about an hour so was much better than the last issue. Anyway that was one nightmare of a trailer experience for me. What I get for borrowing a trailer. I could have bought one for all my time & effort this trip. Lesson learned with last minute planning. Never take a borrowed trailer without personally checking everything out. Assuming all is well with a cursory check doesn't cut it
sixnotfour
4th of July a few years ago,,,I missed the fire works , but uhaul came out and fixed it in about an hour....
whitetwinturbo
.........and note the "usual suspect / super hero" guys offering to help (again)...yup I'm looking at you Oscar and Andrew beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.