Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help please! alignment specs ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatrickB
At a shop to check alignment after some work. They don't have a spec for 914's . They do have 911 specs.... anyone know if they are the same ? I wouldn't think so but....
Can anyone point
PatrickB
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Aug 2 2019, 08:52 AM) *

At a shop to check alignment after some work. They don't have a spec for 914's . They do have 911 specs.... anyone know if they are the same ? I wouldn't think so but....
Can anyone point

Phone issues.... how about a set of 4 wheel specs please!
Gatornapper
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Aug 2 2019, 06:52 AM) *

Can anyone point

From 1976 Owner's Manual:

Camber - Front: 0 deg. +/- 20' Rear: 30 deg. +/- 20'

Toe-in: Front: +20' +/- 10' Rear: 0 deg. +15' (w/33 lbs. curb weight added)

Caster angle (at curb weight): 6 deg. +/- 30'

GN
PatrickB
Thanks! Pretty much the same as the 911 specs they found.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is 30 MINUTES neg camber in the rear and 0 in the front.

Make sure that you have correct height in the rear so you will not have to stack too many shims to achieve camber. (basically show three inches of tire between the wheel rim and the fender lip

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 2 2019, 06:04 AM) *

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Aug 2 2019, 06:52 AM) *

Can anyone point

From 1976 Owner's Manual:

Toe-in: Front: +20' +/- 10' Rear: 0 deg. +15' (w/33 lbs. curb weight added)

Caster angle (at curb weight): 6 deg. +/- 30'

GN

SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 2 2019, 08:12 AM) *

It is 30 MINUTES neg camber in the rear and 0 in the front.
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 2 2019, 06:04 AM) *

30 degrees would be a wee bit much ...
biggrin.gif

anderssj
I remember reading somewhere to always have at least half a tank of fuel when you get it aligned. Apparently the toe changes with weight in the front end...
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 2 2019, 09:59 AM) *
biggrin.gif

I just googled "excessive camber" and was not disappointed. Apparently, this really is a thing!
unsure.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=excessive+c...661&bih=875

JOEPROPER
30 minutes = 0.5deg
jcd914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 2 2019, 02:39 PM) *

biggrin.gif

I just googled "excessive camber" and was not disappointed. Apparently, this really is a thing!
unsure.gif

A few weeks ago I help my daughter move up from Long Beach to the Bay area.
On the drive up I5 (me in my truck and my daughter and daughter in law in our Jetta) we were passed by a black Toyota sedan with the wheels cambered like that.

When we stopped for lunch my daughter asked if I saw the "Stupid car", no further description was necessary to know what car she was talking about.

Latter in the day we passed the same Toyota broken down along the highway.

Jim
Retroracer
I referenced this article when setting up my car:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=363723

FYI.

- Tony
Mark Henry
Best I could do in my 914 on the front was -.5 camber, for caster I run as much as I can which IIRC was 7 degrees. I couldn't get any more caster or less camber without break out the grinder. You don't run more than -.75 camber on a street car or you will get abnormal tire wear.
More caster makes it run straighter, but the trade off is it gets harder to turn at parking speeds.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 2 2019, 05:39 PM) *

biggrin.gif

unsure.gif

confused24.gif av-943.gif

If something can be done in bad taste, there is always someone willing to up the ante and take it to the extreme no matter how undrivable it might be!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 3 2019, 05:00 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 2 2019, 05:39 PM) *

biggrin.gif

unsure.gif

confused24.gif av-943.gif

If something can be done in bad taste, there is always someone willing to up the ante and take it to the extreme no matter how undrivable it might be!

It is called "Stance" and apparently it is a fad these days. screwy.gif Negative camber is good if you are racing, but most cars don't spend all their time in hard corners. So all it does is over stresses the sidewalls of the tires and eats up the wheel bearings. Plus, even for racing you don't need that much camber.

Wikipedia link on Stanced cars

"Form is greater than function in stance culture."

" In the stance community, some owners run up to 45° of negative camber to achieve the stance they are looking for."

Just a fad, like the tiny tires stuck way outside the fenders, Donks, and alike.

JamesM
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 4 2019, 05:51 AM) *

It is called "Stance" and apparently it is a fad these days.

"Form is greater than function in stance culture."

Its been big around here for a while (actually think its starting to go away, thank god) I never thought someone would come up with a more ridiculous car trend than the "fast and furious" coffee can exhaust cars in 90s, but they somehow managed.

Not sure what is worse, what they do with the camber or what they do to their poor tires.

Both form and function is just terrible.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.