Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new shipment of ABS raised letter rocker panel covers are in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I can actually say that these are genuine ABS raised letter rocker panel covers as we purchased the aluminum tooling from Volkswagen of America who provided accessory parts for 914s back when the cars were new. Certainly therefore a period accessory, they go over the original rocker panels and provide a slight flare to meet the fender lips. These are made slightly thicker than the originals, so some use them in place of the rocker panels

Click to view attachment
mb911
I remember seeing them everywhere when I was a kid. Cool for sure but not my flavor.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 2 2019, 02:21 PM) *

I remember seeing them everywhere when I was a kid. Cool for sure but not my flavor.

agree.gif along with windshield crests. The more things that said Porsche the better biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
I always liked the flared ends, looks more finished than the stock rocker panels. Just have to ditch the script smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
owners would install them and then paint the raised letters the color of the car for the real circus effect!
gandalf_025
I had a set 2 years ago that had never been on a car..
I took them to Hershey to try to sell them.
Think I got 50.00 for them and it was at the very end of the day.
preach
Mine came with those and a 4 outlet Monza muffler...
Dion
QUOTE(preach @ Aug 2 2019, 03:14 PM) *

laugh.gif same here back in ‘86!
mepstein
QUOTE(preach @ Aug 2 2019, 07:14 PM) *

I had the Monza. Sold it at Hershey, I was unpacking and was going to give it away but a buyer offered $20. piratenanner.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2019, 11:59 AM) *

I had the Monza. Sold it at Hershey, I was unpacking and was going to give it away but a buyer offered $20. piratenanner.gif

I see a general pattern to the replies so far..... lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
wes
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 2 2019, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2019, 11:59 AM) *

I see a general pattern to the replies so far..... lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

I’m finding it hard to believe anyone would even reproduce them, but they do go well with the Monza i guess.
chrisg
I haven’t found any decent pictures of a car with theses installed ( I guess that’s not surprising judging by the reply’s so far), but what is so horrible about them? Is it the finished fit or size proportions? The look of the ABS ?
I can see them not fitting the style of a early car but for a late big bumper car since you have so much ugly black rubber on both ends, they’d probably look OK. Embrace the 70’s.
Seems like they might stay better looking over time for a driver that gets used on ever increasingly poor condition roads.
Cairo94507
I like the idea of the slightly flared ends but do not, and have never liked, the script on the rockers. But I do appreciate that these are made and available as I do see a lot of them on cars. But please do not paint the script to make it stand out. beerchug.gif
poorsche914
idea.gif At Okteenerfest last year, nearly 10% of the 914s had the ABS rockers.

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
ConeDodger
No... icon8.gif
76-914
QUOTE(chrisg @ Aug 3 2019, 07:09 AM) *

I haven’t found any decent pictures of a car with theses installed ( I guess that’s not surprising judging by the reply’s so far), but what is so horrible about them? Is it the finished fit or size proportions? The look of the ABS ?
I can see them not fitting the style of a early car but for a late big bumper car since you have so much ugly black rubber on both ends, they’d probably look OK. Embrace the 70’s.
Seems like they might stay better looking over time for a driver that gets used on ever increasingly poor condition roads.

Gaudy comes to mind. barf.gif
TravisNeff
My first 914 had them and a rear spoiler too. I liked the look
dr914@autoatlanta.com
funny we are all becoming originality sticklers in our old age! I remember the time when virtualy EVERYONE installed:
four chrome pipe monza exhaust
rear "porsche" update lens kit
two tornado mirrors
abs rocker panels
empi or riviera wheels
raised letter abs rocker panels
porsche hood badge
rear ducktail spoiler
and a big big front spoiler
gandalf_025
I’ve owned my car since 1973 and
NEVER did any of the above.
Wouldn’t do it when I was 18 and
certainly not now...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I honor your commitment to keeping your 914 pure. Nor would or ever I do such a thing to a 914. Sold plenty of the parts to people through the years though!

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 3 2019, 09:15 AM) *

I’ve owned my car since 1973 and
NEVER did any of the above.
Wouldn’t do it when I was 18 and
certainly not now...

Olympic 914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 3 2019, 10:55 AM) *

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

On the race car, it looks good. Maybe its the paint combo.
sixnotfour
Damnit,,,,,I have a NOS pair....now worth>>>>>0

dr914@autoatlanta.com
good point, also super light

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 3 2019, 10:23 AM) *

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 3 2019, 01:23 PM) *

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

agree.gif
FourBlades
At least they won't rust...that is a big deal here in Florida.

Slap on a set and save your metal originals.

I like them if you don't paint the raised letters.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.