Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine cross member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sycolyst
Hello all,

First post on the forum after lurking for a while. I am restoring a 73 914 and discovered that the engine cross member sits at an angle towards the back as if the previous owner ran over something and pushed it to the rear. My question...does this cross member naturally have an angle or is it supposed to be straight. I am pulling the engine now and plan to drop the cross member once removed. Any help would be appreciated.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
It should be straight. Someone hit it when driving. You will need new brackets that mount the crossmember to the chassis. The bolt in.

IronHillRestorations
Very common to see this, the brackets and/or bar is bent
Sycolyst
Appreciate the quick response, it is what I thought. This site is going to be a wealth of information as I proceed. Hope you don't mind the questions to come. Thanks again!!
mepstein
Like Clay said, new brackets. The crossmember can be bent back.
Maltese Falcon
welcome.png
bdstone914
@Sycolyst

You want to replace the two rubber mounts between the bar and brackets at the center. The bolts are probably bent too and may need to be cut .

I sell sets of improved end brackets and hardware for $35 shipped.

I will post the link to that thread later

dr914@autoatlanta.com
although we have new outboard solid mounts (the ones that are bent causing the crossmember to lean) you can remove yours, put them on an anvil and beat straight with a hammer and reinstall. Easy and will make the bar mount straight again
bbrock
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 3 2019, 09:54 AM) *

although we have new outboard solid mounts (the ones that are bent causing the crossmember to lean) you can remove yours, put them on an anvil and beat straight with a hammer and reinstall. Easy and will make the bar mount straight again

agree.gif +1 That's what I did before sending them for plating.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Sycolyst @ Aug 3 2019, 04:38 AM) *
I am pulling the engine now

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php

welcome.png

Sycolyst
Thank you. Appreciate the link!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.