Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RennShift Shifter Upgrade.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
I’ve decided to pull the plug and upgrade to a Rennshift Shifter for my 901 side shift transmission, even though not a cheap upgrade. They show a stick length option of stock or 2” longer and Aluminum or Anodized Black. Suggestions on the stick length? I know the finish is just personal preference. Thanks
TravisNeff
I did one in my SC. I did a tall stick and then made it even taller with a Wevo shift knob that attached on the tip of the stick, rather than the ones that slide down over the stick. I like it a little closer to the wheel.
mepstein
All personal preference but you won’t regret spending the money. Don’t sell your stock shifter without removing the shift rod coupler at the bottom.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it....
Dr Evil
I love my Rennshifter. Worth it. Make sure trans is up to snuff, though. If not, the Rennshifter can help you find and exacerbate problems wink.gif
jfort
I had to be one of James' first customers. That and Patrick Motorsports shifter and the gear shift rod bearing kit, tra9146rsr, and my six shifts perfectly. No vagueness with just the right amount of "click into place" feeling. Love it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2019, 04:13 PM) *

I love my Rennshifter. Worth it. Make sure trans is up to snuff, though. If not, the Rennshifter can help you find and exacerbate problems wink.gif

agree.gif

The trans and all bushings need to be good, also the tangerine console double bushing makes for a real nice shifting package.
Just be aware you'll never have the speed shifting of some cars, even with the Rennshift you cant slap it into the gears hard, you have to have a gentle touch and glide it through the gears. Don't force it, more like you let it find it's own path, forcing it you can still grind the gears.
Set it up so it's naturally in plain for 2nd-3rd, then it should be just a slight side pressure for 4-5th or 1st. I never downshift to 1st with the auto reverse lockout you should have to jiggle it side to side in neutral before it will go in. It took me a bit of adjusting to find it's sweet spot, I now have it on the short shift adjustment.

If you're tall you will want the extra bend to move it slightly back towards you.
9144me2enjoy
That’s some great advice which I will take to heart, thanks again.
RickS
Really enjoy mine but it took awhile to dial in. A long while, but it was worth it.
horizontally-opposed
I go back and forth on whether I need/want an RennShift.

For: Lots of good feedback here, and the 914's shifter has always been one of its weakest links.

Against: 1) My side shifter + a mere Weltmeister short-shift + all new bushings + straight shift rod for six conversion shifts really nicely; 2) not sure I love the RennShift's larger base in the interior, which doesn't look bad by any means, but doesn't look like part of the original design either; 3) occasional griping about problems exacerbated, etc (hard to tell is this is 100% user error/car issues/etc...but suspect it is). Which just takes me back to 1).
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 6 2019, 01:23 AM) *

I go back and forth on whether I need/want an RennShift.

Against: 1) My side shifter + a mere Weltmeister short-shift + all new bushings + straight shift rod for six conversion shifts really nicely; 2) not sure I love the RennShift's larger base in the interior, which doesn't look bad by any means, but doesn't look like part of the original design either; 3) occasional griping about problems exacerbated, etc (hard to tell is this is 100% user error/car issues/etc...but suspect it is). Which just takes me back to 1).

If what you have works for you, then rock what you have.

Zach
rfinegan
I had a Welmeister short shift that work real good too, with the center console and recently went to the Renshift. I could make the Weltmiester work well but the Renn does not need a special trained hand to make work, the Renn works every time for all users. Looks good with the console or you can boot the shifter to hide it if needed. Would not change back
Luke M
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Aug 6 2019, 08:27 AM) *

I had a Welmeister short shift that work real good too, with the center console and recently went to the Renshift. I could make the Weltmiester work well but the Renn does not need a special trained hand to make work, the Renn works every time for all users. Looks good with the console or you can boot the shifter to hide it if needed. Would not change back

I have a Rennshifter and plan on running a center console as well.
Any pics of the installation ? I know the center console needs to be slightly modified to fit over the shifter housing.
tailwind22
QUOTE(Luke M @ Aug 6 2019, 08:43 AM) *

Any pics of the installation ? I know the center console needs to be slightly modified to fit over the shifter housing.

I also have a center console and am at the install point and was wondering what the floor of the center console will look like after install. Pics from someone with a center console would be great!
mepstein
QUOTE(tailwind22 @ Aug 6 2019, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Aug 6 2019, 08:43 AM) *

I also have a center console and am at the install point and was wondering what the floor of the center console will look like after install. Pics from someone with a center console would be great!

You pull back the vinyl, make the hole about a 1/4” larger that the shifter and then secure the vinyl back in the console with some contact cement. You probably have to make a new boot to fit but that’s easy with a scrap of leather.
thelogo
beer3.gif
My stock shifter is solid as hell
But ive been curious about renshift .

For me the big /4 made a big difference because i can really use the tall gears to accelerate the car better .
Unlike the f1 powerband of the 1.7

I always knew i was lucky i guess since i had the car it always shifts like butter
(Tighten clutch cable) and go

And does anyone know car speed in mph with 15in tires
At 3k and 4k rpm ????
In 5th gear
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.