Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to put in new gear oil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Whats the easiest way for a driveway mechanic? Drain it then put it on a rotisserie on its left side to fill? w00t.gif

I have tried the gallon jug with the plastic pumps before. What a mess and time consuming and $%#@&*(. Those plastic pumps are not universal threads so you have to buy a new pump if you use different oil than before and even then, the cheapo pumps only last a time or two before they break. Must be a better way.

Other tips, get a second magnetic drain plug and use it in the fill hole, 2x the metal crud collection power. Use antiseize on the fill and drain plugs.
SirAndy
Remove the large round plug in the rear trunk floor and let gravity do the work from above.
idea.gif
JeffBowlsby
On a race car maybe...not on my car.
worn
I have set up a gear oil bottle like an IV. My son prefers to pump in the oil. Neither method is perfect.
bbrock
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 3 2019, 07:10 PM) *

I have set up a gear oil bottle like an IV. My son prefers to pump in the oil. Neither method is perfect.

That's what I used to do when I had a running car. Still hated the job but could get the oil in without too much mess.
jvmarino
Simplest way I found was get a large syringe (you can buy them cheap on eBay or Amazon), suck up the new gear oil, then slip a rubber hose on the outlet, and plunge the oil into the case. Repeat a few times until overflow begins.
ejm
Use 4 one quart containers with the tapered spout you cut off. Squirting it in thru the fill plug, holding them above the axle the 3+ quarts takes 5 minutes with no mess....when the box is full top off the fourth container with what's left in the previous three. BTDT dozens of times..
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Ed, that's the answer I was looking for. I just did this today and stumbled into these QT jugs at FLAPS. Only needed three... The book says 2.6 qts fills it, and that's what I experienced. I filled the emptys with what was left of my gallon jug for next time.

It was a 5 min job. No mess. No pumps. No gallon jugs.

No one give me grief now on my choice of lube...I find it works just as good if not better than the colorful stuff.
Superhawk996
Nothing stinks in so many ways, like gear lube!
ClayPerrine
I use a hose with a metal tubing hook on the end. The other end goes outside the body by the right rear tire. Plug the tapered nozzle on the gear oil jug into the hose, and squeeze. Or put a funnel in the hose and hang it up higher than the rear trunk lid. Fill the funnel and wait.
MartyYeoman
I use Clay's technique. Tube and funnel out the rear wheel well.
Ed_Turbo
Transfer pump from Harbor Freight Jeff. Not a perfect mess free situation but does the trick for a one man job. Coupon + free item....BOOM.

Tube and funnel works ok for a two man job. Got to be careful the tube does not pop out then it can be frustrating and messy.

I would get better gear oil than that @JeffBowlsby .

-Eddie
Gatornapper
Doing mine soon, but with Amsoil Synthetic 75w/140 - amazing stuff - does wonders in Harley tranny's, that already shift great.

Can't wait to see what it will do in the 914.....squeezable bag packs too!

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear...e-gear-75w-140/

Oh - I'm an Amsoil dealer for full disclosure.......

GN
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 6 2019, 10:51 PM) *

Doing mine soon, but with Amsoil Synthetic 75w/140 - amazing stuff - does wonders in Harley tranny's, that already shift great.

GN

I think I've read on 914world.com that synthetic gear oil is not the best choice in a 914. Do some research before you use it.
Gatornapper
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Aug 6 2019, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 6 2019, 10:51 PM) *

GN

I think I've read on 914world.com that synthetic gear oil is not the best choice in a 914. Do some research before you use it.

Thanks for the warning..........

There is out there an opinion that synthetic lubricants degrade any bushings that have brass (bronze ones) in them - and they are typically found in gear boxes of the '70's and earlier.

There are also many who have de-bunked this and insist that it is not true.

I'll check into it further.......

GN

Gatornapper
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ok, thank you - not going synthetic - discussion here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l++transmission

Issue is not the bronze degradation, but the lower viscosity of synthetics and their not working with Porsche synchronizers.

Stick with GL-5 lubes.

More info here:

https://blueskymotorsports.com/index.php?op...16&Itemid=6

GN
injunmort
negative on synthetic gear oil. dino works much better, doesn't leak as much and is quieter. much discussion on this topic on here. not to mention, cheaper. harbor freight transfer pump with barb on end is very effective and not messy aside from overfill, which is part of process.
jkb944t
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 3 2019, 10:29 PM) *

Use 4 one quart containers with the tapered spout you cut off. Squirting it in thru the fill plug, holding them above the axle the 3+ quarts takes 5 minutes with no mess....when the box is full top off the fourth container with what's left in the previous three. BTDT dozens of times..

agree.gif This method works well for me but I add a 4-6 inch long hose to the tapered spout.

Jeff B
krazykonrad
QUOTE(jvmarino @ Aug 3 2019, 06:23 PM) *

Simplest way I found was get a large syringe (you can buy them cheap on eBay or Amazon), suck up the new gear oil, then slip a rubber hose on the outlet, and plunge the oil into the case. Repeat a few times until overflow begins.

Dr Evil
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 3 2019, 10:56 PM) *

Thanks Ed, that's the answer I was looking for. I just did this today and stumbled into these QT jugs at FLAPS. Only needed three... The book says 2.6 qts fills it, and that's what I experienced. I filled the emptys with what was left of my gallon jug for next time.

It was a 5 min job. No mess. No pumps. No gallon jugs.

No one give me grief now on my choice of lube...I find it works just as good if not better than the colorful stuff.

This! 100% this. Also, cheap dino is just fine.
JamesM
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 3 2019, 06:56 PM) *

No grief here, i have ran that exact same stuff before. I tend to find the cheaper the gear oil the better it tends to work in a 914 tranny. I try to run GL4 (without the the GL5 rating) if I can find it, but when i can't the cheapest GL5 is what goes in, the less manufacture additives/friction modifiers the better. In my early 914 years I tried running Sweepco 201 for a while as that was what was being recommended at the time, syncros in my box didnt seem to like it at all, thought it was my tranny that was toast but the next change I went back to cheap GL4 and the difference was night and day.

...and single quart bottles with the pointy tip are probably the cleanest way, as long as the oil you are running comes in that packaging.
gereed75
My amateur opinion for what it is worth - there are 100's of brands of oils out there, there are not 100's of people making lubricants. I suspect that there are only a few people manufacturing these lubes and that they all meet the specs as advertised and private label off brands all come out of the same batch. Maybe some vendors special order extra additives on a custom basis, but the basic good stuff is there as long as you are running the correct type for your tranny.
Front yard mechanic
Germans invented synthetic oil in ww2 it is pressed from coal
stinkindiesel
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 4 2019, 12:02 PM) *

Transfer pump from Harbor Freight Jeff. Not a perfect mess free situation but does the trick for a one man job. Coupon + free item....BOOM.

-Eddie

Tried the Harbor Freight pump for some transmission oil. The oil was so slippery the hoses wouldn't stay on the pump. Made a real mess.

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.