Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shopping for a new two post lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
With our move on the horizon, I'm undecided on whether to move my Rotary 2 post asymmetrical 7500 lb lift or get a new one.

I will have to put up a new shop (still "shopping" biggrin.gif ) and I'm only wanting to go with 10 foot wall height, where my current is 12'. Depending on the structure and the roof pitch, I could still get 12' in the center, but, I'm not sure how I'd get the old lift down, moved, and set up in the new place, which is another reason to shop.

I'd want to stay with 7500lb so I can lift a full size pickup.

Suggestions?

My Rotary has been flawless up until about a year ago, when one cylinder started leaking, but it's 24 years old, and it wasn't too hard to put a seal kit in it. The Rotary is at the top of the prices though.

Not interested in a mid rise pan lift, I need to get to the pan.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 4 2019, 06:52 AM) *

With our move on the horizon, I'm undecided on whether to move my Rotary 2 post asymmetrical 7500 lb lift or get a new one.

I will have to put up a new shop (still "shopping" biggrin.gif ) and I'm only wanting to go with 10 foot wall height, where my current is 12'. Depending on the structure and the roof pitch, I could still get 12' in the center, but, I'm not sure how I'd get the old lift down, moved, and set up in the new place, which is another reason to shop.

Suggestions?

My Rotary has been flawless up until about a year ago, when one cylinder started leaking, but it's 24 years old, and it wasn't too hard to put a seal kit in it. The Rotary is at the top of the prices though.

When we had our house built, we had them put 10' ceilings in the garage. Then we got with a local Fort Worth lift manufacturer who made a cut down version of their lift to fit the 10' ceiling. Gemini Lift is the name of the company. At the time we paid $2500.00 installed. It will pick up a full sized car with no issues. The only limitation is if you lift a tall vehicle, you have to squat to work under it. But for me, a 914 is no problem. I can stand up straight.(yea, yea, insert short joke here, bla bla bla finger.gif) After 15 years, of use, it now needs a cable adjustment.

Good Luck!
JOEPROPER
I bought 2 Challengers 2 years ago. So far so good. I priced Mohawks, but they were too much.
porbmw
A bit off topic...
but my 10 foot ceiling was a few inches to low for the 10 foot hoist...so i installed the hoist "between the joists"...
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(porbmw @ Aug 4 2019, 01:00 PM) *

A bit off topic...
but my 10 foot ceiling was a few inches to low for the 10 foot hoist...so i installed the hoist "between the joists"...

I'm really wanting to keep the wall height on the new shop to 10', so I'm looking at doing scissors trusses where the lift will go or a two post base plate style that doesn't have a cross bar, but they make getting in and out of the vehicle harder
rudedude
I put my 7500# rotary hoist in my garage with 10'6" ceiling. Had to take up cable slack with black pipe as I recall. Have the pistons going through the ceiling between joists in 4" pvc tubing to keep the insulation from falling out. Has worked for me for 20 years although rarely do I put my truck on it. Also had cylinder leak but was an easy seal to fix. I might have had to shorten the posts to a lower set of holes but my memory of that is shorter than it used to be
Gatornapper
Be sure to get an asymmetrical lift. Pros usually use them, usually (not always) easier to open your doors with.

See here:

https://blog.rotarylift.com/asymmetrical-vs...-two-post-lifts

I have a 10k lb. asymmetrical lift and love it. Some trucks are harder to get out of tho.....

GN

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 4 2019, 05:52 AM) *

Suggestions?

IronHillRestorations
Mine is a Rotary SP0A7 @Gatornapper

I think I"ve found a resource that moves equipment, they quoted $1000 to take down, move it 260 miles, and set it up, less electric connection. Probably the best way for me to go. I got mine new and it's seen light use.

I didn't think to see what they'd charge to move my 80 gallon compressor, as I've recently seen a small scroll that's supposed to provide enough for me at a much lower db
Gatornapper
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 5 2019, 09:34 PM) *

Mine is a Rotary SP0A7 @Gatornapper

I think I"ve found a resource that moves equipment, they quoted $1000 to take down, move it 260 miles, and set it up, less electric connection. Probably the best way for me to go. I got mine new and it's seen light use.

I didn't think to see what they'd charge to move my 80 gallon compressor, as I've recently seen a small scroll that's supposed to provide enough for me at a much lower db

Sounds like a good deal to me on the move. Hard to beat keeping what you have and know well........

I installed my own when I built (myself) my 3 car garage with a vaulted 23' peak ceiling in the lift bay that you cannot distinguish from outside (with 4'x4' skylight that puts sunlight right in the engine bay) - I set up and installed my own on 6" re-enforced concrete with over-sized re-bars - and it's a job.

Sorry, don't have daytime pic of full garage - lift bay is on left.....

IPB Image
IPB Image

GN
IronHillRestorations
Nice looking place!
burton73
Great looking place. Really nice

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.