Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
In just getting everything together and excited to finally after a few long years start up my teener I managed to hook up the points to the + side a melt the points wire. I’m replacing the condenser and points is it likely I messed up the coil too. Was just going to replace points condenser first then go from there. Should I be looking for other things also? Thanks in advance for any and all guidance here as I’m not an expert car guy.
iankarr
I’d consider swapping the points for a pertronix ignitor II unit. I know this sparks debate (pun intended), but electronic modules help the car start faster and idle better. Plus they never need adjusting like points. Less maintenance is always nice. Especially if you don’t wrench a lot...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 10:47 AM) *

Was just going to replace points condenser first then go from there.

Wont hurt to replace the condensor but a condensor is really just a capacitor.

Capacitors cannot flow DC current.

It is only there to absorb, instantaneous (transient) voltage spikes that are created as the points open and close. It helps avoid arc burning of the points.

So although you had enough DC current flow to melt the wire to the points (because they were closed to ground when you connected to DC +), the condensor (again - just a capacitor) didn't flow that same current.

I know you'll feel better replacing it but thought it might help ease your mind if you don't have one handy.

Coil itself should be fine. Again, it wasn't part of the circuit that got shorted to ground. In fact, the coil really is momentarily shorted to ground as the points open and close. That is it's normal mode of operation. However, since you put the points on the + terminal, there was no current flow though the coil windings.

FYI -- 1st check that the fuse that feeds 12v to the coil is the proper sized fuse. If is the proper OEM size, you likely didn't hurt the wiring for which the fuse was sized.

My car is in pieces, but, as I recall the points wire is smaller gauge wire than the 12V+ feed so the points wire likely was the "fuse".

I wouldn't hurt to check at least look as far "upstream" from the coil + as you can easily see to make sure there was no melting going on in the 12V+ coil feed. Wiring Diagram is your friend for the details.
shane
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 4 2019, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 10:47 AM) *

Was just going to replace points condenser first then go from there.

Wont hurt to replace the condensor but a condensor is really just a capacitor.

Capacitors cannot flow DC current.

It is only there to absorb, instantaneous voltage spikes that are created as the points open and close. It helps avoid arc burning of the points.

So although you had enough DC current flow to melt the wire to the points (because they were closed to ground when you connected to DC +), the condensor (again - just a capacitor) didn't flow that same current.

I know you'll feel better replacing it but thought it might help ease your mind if you don't have one handy.
Great thank you, how about damage to the coil?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 04:00 PM) *

See above - I was editing on the fly as you posted

shane
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 4 2019, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 04:00 PM) *

See above - I was editing on the fly as you posted

Thanks a bunch checked what you said and everything is good!!!
shane
Besides the carb (PO) is my firing order wrong somehow on my distributor? TDC on #1 on compression stroke points at #1 plug wire. I have fuel and compression, shot some fogging oil in each hole cause I haven’t started the engine for a few years. 12volt at coil points and condenser are new And gaped. But haven’t looked yet to see if I have hot spark, I will tomorrow. I only get a muddering Light backfiring.
shane
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 07:05 PM) *

Besides the carb (PO) is my firing order wrong somehow on my distributor? TDC on #1 on compression stroke points at #1 plug wire. I have fuel and compression, shot some fogging oil in each hole cause I haven’t started the engine for a few years. 12volt at coil points and condenser are new And gaped. But haven’t looked yet to see if I have hot spark, I will tomorrow. I only get a muddering Light backfiring.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 09:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Your plug wires are wrong, or the distributor drive in the case is in wrong. Right front distributor tower connects to right front plug. Right rear distributor tower goes to right rear plug. Left front distributor tower goes to left REAR plug. Left rear distributor tower goes to left FRONT plug.

Clay
shane
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 4 2019, 07:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Your plug wires are wrong, or the distributor drive in the case is in wrong. Right front distributor tower connects to right front plug. Right rear distributor tower goes to right rear plug. Left front distributor tower goes to left REAR plug. Left rear distributor tower goes to left FRONT plug.
I’ll look again but the distributor and engine ran before and the distributor only goes in one way. I watched the #1 piston come all the way up on compression stroke and that is where the rotor was on that tower of the cap where I have #1. But obviously I did something wrong cause I got almost nothing when I try to start it. Thanks for the info I’ll try to figure it out.

Clay

shane
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 08:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I’ll look again but the distributor and engine ran before and the distributor only goes in one way. I watched the #1 piston come all the way up on compression stroke and that is where the rotor was on that tower of the cap where I have #1. But obviously I did something wrong cause I got almost nothing when I try to start it. Thanks for the info I’ll try to figure it out.
Crap!!! forgot to mention it’s not a stock distributor
Clay

shane
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 4 2019, 08:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Clay

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.