Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brake...well that explains it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advman89
When I pulled the tires off this weekend to bleed the brakes...found that the parking brake was not connected to the caliper on either side.
I have searched for the parts to connect the cables, but can't seem to locate them.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bbrock
Here's one place you can buy them from a great vendor:
https://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...63/10011097.htm

Also available through dealers, Pelican, etc.

You should download a copy of the 914 parts catalog (PET) from the Porsche Classics site and then you can search for these kind of parts by their part numbers. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you may want to make sure that the cables are free and that the pads will adjust for venting clearance. One asks "why did the previous owner disconnect the parking brake cables"
There are really a bunch of parts involved in making the parking brake work properly. We constantly find many of these parts missing on customers cars, so they all become one of our most popular sellers, some of them discontinued by the factory. Start by seeing if your rear calipers will adjust for venting clearance

QUOTE(advman89 @ Aug 5 2019, 06:31 AM) *

When I pulled the tires off this weekend to bleed the brakes...found that the parking brake was not connected to the caliper on either side.
I have searched for the parts to connect the cables, but can't seem to locate them.

914Sixer
As the good Dr said, check for other issues.
Gatornapper
Until you get the correct parts, you can just use a small bolt the size of the hole in the cable end........

Be careful to adjust cables so the bolts/pins just begin to touch the lever and not move it from their resting position more than 1/16"....

GN

QUOTE(advman89 @ Aug 5 2019, 07:31 AM) *

advman89
Yep. Figured there may be a reason...I bled the brakes and the fluid was clean/clear and pedal feels about the same as it did before.

As with anything on this car, there has to be an investigation and a head scratching, "Why was that done?"

Part of the "fun"...
advman89
Pulled the PET. Finally found the pin in deeper in the brake section (I had only made it to the caliper).

Thanks again.

mepstein
QUOTE(advman89 @ Aug 5 2019, 11:54 AM) *

Pulled the PET. Finally found the pin in deeper in the brake section (I had only made it to the caliper).

Thanks again.

PMB Performance carries the small parts. push the parking brake lever by hand to see if it even moves the brake pads. It's often the first thing to stop working on the rear calipers. PMB does a great restoration if you want/need it. Don't buy the remans from the auto part store.
defianty
QUOTE(advman89 @ Aug 5 2019, 04:54 PM) *

Thanks again.

The pins and clips are just slotted 6mm clevis pins and spring safety clips. I sourced mine online (I'm in the UK) for a fraction of the price any resellers sell them for. Two pins with clips were less than $2 total.
mbseto
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 5 2019, 10:01 AM) *

Until you get the correct parts, you can just use a small bolt the size of the hole in the cable end........

Be careful to adjust cables so the bolts/pins just begin to touch the lever and not move it from their resting position more than 1/16"....

GN

Any reason this wouldn't work long term if it is not a show car?
defianty
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 5 2019, 08:00 PM) *

GN

Having the pin enables the end of the handbrake cable to rotate slightly as the angle changes when the cable is pulled. If you tighten a bolt though it won't be able to rotate. However saying that on one of mine did have a bolt with a nyloc nut on that wasn't done up all the way. It worked but obviously not correct.
Chi-town
I have a ton of them if you need them.

Remember to set the pad gap also otherwise you can have a low pedal
Rand
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 5 2019, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 5 2019, 08:00 PM) *

GN

Having the pin enables the end of the handbrake cable to rotate slightly as the angle changes when the cable is pulled. If you tighten a bolt though it won't be able to rotate. However saying that on one of mine did have a bolt with a nyloc nut on that wasn't done up all the way. It worked but obviously not correct.

I'm sure (and hope) he wasn't suggesting to tighten it so hard it couldn't rotate. Double nutting would work to leave some room.

bbrock
Might want to use a hardened bolt if you go that route. Not sure how long a standard grade 8 could take those forces. Might be fine though confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.