Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post 1974 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
Click to view attachment

Is this actually the ground connection on headlight buckets post 1974? I'm used to seeing a stud in this location.

The more I look into this tub, the more I find that the front has been patched together using later model front sheet metal. For instance, I noticed that both front headlight buckets have these connectors where I expected to find ground studs and the entire front panel is from a post 1974 car. Comparing it to some of the other chassis that I have, there are some slight differences to the basic shapes of some of these panels. What should I look out for? Most all my experience is with early bumper cars, and this one I plan to make into an early bumper car. I see that there are no welded in nuts for fog lights or horns on the front panel, but will it all fit since this panel has a slightly different shape. (Or will I need to improvise the shape with some creative body work?) The chassis is rust free and solid other than some previous sheet metal replacement in the front end and one well bent outer longitude that I may attempt to straighten or replace.

Bought this thing many years ago (maybe 12 years ago) in Mason City, IA.

It's time to either put it together or get rid of it. The plan is to flare it and install a 2.7. I have most parts for it in various boxes .....
John
Every single picture I have been able to conjure up on the internet shows me the ground stud that I am familiar with. Were the later 1975-1976 cars different in this area?

This is what I think the area should look like.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Just flare it and -6 it.. That's what I am doing to my Frankenstein
mzalanka
Yup, that's stock for the later cars. Somewhat obviously, the spades are not supposed to be primered though.
John
QUOTE(mzalanka @ Aug 6 2019, 10:17 AM) *

Yup, that's stock for the later cars. Somewhat obviously, the spades are not supposed to be primered though.

Thanks for verifying. It didn't really look as if anyone removed a ground stud, but I am very surprised at how they cut corners in later years to save pennies.

John
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 6 2019, 09:54 AM) *

Just flare it and -6 it.. That's what I am doing to my Frankenstein

It will be done. I always wanted a flared street car and mine is too nice as it is to put the flares on it.

I'm digging through parts stash to make sure I have most everything before I go too far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.