Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling smog equipment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ssuperflyoldguy
Pulling smog equipment - can I just drop front of engine?

Want to cleanup 75 2.0 engine bay - can I drop the front of the engine to remove the pump & associated? Probably answered my own question to just drop the whole thing so I can powerwash, pull the smog & tin & cleanup some more - need to paint up & detail engine compartment. Cleaned up my entire shed concrete floor so I can do this efficiently.

comments or suggestions? First major work on a 914 in 30 yrs which I dropped rear of trans to "fix" no first gear issue. Before the internet we all wasted time chasing old-wives tales on how to fix issue. Ended up being a tailshift linkage adjustment.
ConeDodger
No. You must drop the whole engine.

Do not destroy the equipment removing it. It can be used to rehab a car in a smog state that requires it. ‘76 MY in California for instance.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 6 2019, 12:51 PM) *

No. You must drop the whole engine.

Do not destroy the equipment removing it. It can be used to rehab a car in a smog state that requires it. ‘76 MY in California for instance.

I want to destroy the SMOG equipment because it is in California, seriously. And dump it at the CARB offices. However:

If somebody needs it let me know, won't know the condition of it until I pull it. It's from a 2.0 but with Bus heads so might not work on P-Car heads. Tasteful trades requested.

Suggestions to plug ports so system can remain complete (ish)?

***I try to never throw any parts away - (thus my clutter) because I or someone else will need it eventually. No doubt a beautiful 76 will drop out of the sky onto my driveway & it'll need those parts that went away.
ConeDodger
Someone like @Mcmark can always use them.
Dave_Darling
I'm not sure it's any easier to drop the front of the motor than to just drop the whole drivetrain out.

Supposedly Bug valve adjusting lugs work to plug the smog port holes in the heads.

--DD
sixnotfour
i did it once at the track 76 air pump and broken alt. belt,,to change the belt , it had to be removed..its a bi... but can be done,,,
burton73
These Smog parts are getting very expensive. The sacrificial rubber part breaks when the pump freezes up and it is on the 912E and 75 and 76 914 cars.

So, do what you want but some of the parts are valuable to certain guys

Bob B
bye1.gif
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 6 2019, 03:33 PM) *

These Smog parts are getting very expensive. The sacrificial rubber part breaks when the pump freezes up and it is on the 912E and 75 and 76 914 cars.

So, do what you want but some of the parts are valuable to certain guys

Bob B
bye1.gif

Ya get's what you need, not always what you want. Only Cali owner's need apply (specifically Bay Area only). Let's wait until I get it out, not for sale, just something to get by the smog Nazi's.

maybe the good kharma will help me sell my 15x7" cookies, 5x130 8"&9" BBS, 914 rear 5 lug setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.