Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to trailer your car to Mexico
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I have seen a bunch of posts with bad information regarding trailering rollers down to Mexico over the years. I had been unable to give exact answers to questions about how, when, restrictions, etc. Well, todays events have been a real eye opener and I wish to enlighten all who care.
The story:
I went to trailer my car down to TJ today to get it done before the big move. I forgot to bring my CURRENT registration. As I crossed the boarder into TJ I was waved down, as will all of those who are towning a turdly car be, to the MExican secondary inspection. They asked to see my registration for the vehicle in tow. I had last years in the car, and the new one at home. "Sorry sir, but you can not bring unregistered vehicles into Mexico," the officer told me and sent me through the fence into the line going back to the US dry.gif

Myth - If you trialer a turdly vehicle across the boarder to TJ, they will confiscate your car..... bs.gif This was posted some time ago on the bird board by someone who claimed to have talked to the US and Mexican consulates about this and was told this confenscated BS. As you can tell this is not true. I went home and returned with the current registration. After thye looked at it I was allowed to pass. No problem.

More fun came after I took the car off of the trailer at the shop. I was in the right lane and was turning right to park on the curb when a cab driver decided to run over my trailer form the next lane over....the no right turn lane dry.gif Dumb ass. I felt a little jolt and then looked back to see the left wheel and fender of the dolly nicely tucked into his left front wheel well. After getting free he took off. I really did not care as I paid the $8 for the insurance so all was covered..."no really, it happend inthe WalMart parking lot. I swear wink.gif "

Lesson re enforced; ALWAYS get the cheap insurance! smilie_pokal.gif

Next lesson, how to avoid secondary inspection dry.gif

When I was turned around the first time to go back for my registration I was still towing my car, obviously. Well the boarder crossing has changed a bunch over the years and so has the proceedures for pulling up to the booth. There are a series of stop signs and lights that were obviously designed by a civil engineer with a serious case of ADD who was off of his meds. Anyway, usually you come to the first stop pole and wait for the signal light that is just past it to change, then you go to the next stop sign before the gaurd waves you up to the booth. Hard to imagine, I know. The main point is this, when trailering a car across the boarder to the US do not pull forward between the big yellow things until the boarder gaurd waves you all the way forward. I almost did but he stopped me. He said that if I would have pulled up to the last stop sign, where I would have normally, that my trailer would have been stuck between the big yellow things with the sensors and would have triggered an alarm forcing him to have to send me to secondary inspection ohmy.gif Lucky me.

I hope all of you can bennefit from my research today. It was a real drag, but in the end you sometimes have to make your own silver lining biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Here is an example of an abandoned looking vehicle that was successfully towed across the boarder.
Dr Evil
Here is the trailer damage.
Dr Evil
Boarder crossing dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Oooooooooooh with pictures and everything! We're so proud of ya laugh.gif

Can't wait to see it when it comes back. smilie_pokal.gif
smooth_eddy
So what is being done to your car in TJ?
Dr Evil
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jun 27 2005, 08:41 PM)

Covering the side marker light holes, antenna hole, mirror holes on door. Fill in the seams to the fenders by the windshiled. Grind out any rust, treat, prime, paint. Place black tar heroin into my rockers and tranny case. Fix my flares, smooth and paint my targa top, spray sealant onto my floor, remove and replace the seals on my front and rear windows, chem strip the old crappy paint off, fix, prime and paint the whole dang thing. There may be more, but I am going off of memory.

I'll be posting a progress thread for the rest with pics (especially for you, Eric biggrin.gif )
Aaron Cox
mike - DO NOT fill the fender to cowl seal. it will crack your new paint.
ask john rogers. he had panchos weld it...and it still cracked...

AA
smooth_eddy

agree.gif

I saw a friend of mine at the classic auto show here in Seattle last weekend. Someone had done that to his Datsun 2000 and it cracked. I asked him why someone would do that. He did not know, and said he was not looking forward to using a dremel to remove it. Eddy
swood
Don't you have to have the side marker lights??
SLITS
QUOTE (swood @ Jun 27 2005, 09:04 PM)

Legally yes, but it's so "Euro" dry.gif and after all they know best.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 27 2005, 08:58 PM)

agree.gif major stress point on the chassis. the early prototypes didn't have that seam.

the factory added it later. for a reason ...
cool.gif Andy
Dr Evil
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 27 2005, 08:58 PM)

AA

He had it welded, or bondoed? There are folks that have done it succesfully, what made theirs work? I am getting mine done by their top guy, and we talked about a "tip" in exchange for a top notch job. He is a car guy and I saw how he was looking at my car, and he gets it. If I don't get to him intime to ask him some questions, I am not gonna worry. If it works it will be better as it will be stiff and will not allow for rust to form there.
Dr Evil
QUOTE (swood @ Jun 27 2005, 09:04 PM)

I have more modern ones that I will be mounting farther back.
smooth_eddy
So what happens if you ever have to change the front fender?
Dr Evil
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jun 27 2005, 09:14 PM)

Besides being sad about having to do so, you just cut and reweld. confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
welded - and it flexes...and cracks the paint.

MAYDAY MAYDAY.... your car.,...your paint...
Dr Evil
Fine, I will have them leave it. What about Markydoo's car. Didn't he do this successfully? I honestly like the seams there. I just don't want to have a cancer start there like it was doing currently. dry.gif sad.gif mad.gif
mightyohm
Let's see some pics of cracks, not anecdotal reports...
Dr Evil
I will post a question in another thread to fish for pros and cons. However, those that have spoken up about the cons, sans Aaron tongue.gif, are very knowledgable and not usually prone to anecdote.

Shall we see?
SirAndy
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jun 27 2005, 09:21 PM)
Let's see some pics of cracks, not anecdotal reports...

i've seen it a few times. doesn't happen the 2nd day, but it WILL crack.
and it looks pretty fugly, once it starts cracking ...

easy way to prevent rust, spray in some "Metal Ready" before the painter gets to it. i did on mine, haven't put the black plastic liner back in yet, so far NO rust, zero, zilch.

and my car was parked outside all winter (read: lots of water in that channel) ...
cool.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Damn it, I can't do it now. dry.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 27 2005, 08:50 PM)

Place black tar heroin into my rockers and tranny case.

ohmy.gif Am I reading this correctly??? confused24.gif

Lisa blink.gif
john rogers
As noted the seams on my race car were welded and the paint cracked at the race in Tecate. If you don't race it may be alright? It would be worth a try I think as it does look good. I think it has to do with the front strut mounts moving and flexing the upper sheetmetal. They welded in the filler hole I had in my hood and it is undetectable from the top and barely visible from the inside.
Dr Evil
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Jun 27 2005, 10:24 PM)

Lisa blink.gif

Wow, someone read my post wink.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 27 2005, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Jun 27 2005, 10:24 PM)

Lisa blink.gif

Wow, someone read my post wink.gif

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
Ya gota stay up pretty late at night to get something by me! cool_shades.gif

Lisa driving-girl.gif (my $.25 cents worth lol2.gif )
skline
I read that too but wasnt going to say anything, as for Markydoo's car, it did crack on his too. I noticed it the other day when he brought it by. However, from 10 feet away it looks perfect. You only notice it if you walk up and look for it. I am going to POR15 mine and put the channel seal back in. I am anxious to see your car all done and running. I dont think I have seen it since the Baja II run.
Dr Evil
Thats it, I am not gonna do it. I will be calling them in the morning to have them leave it alone. Small discount, too.
Mueller
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jun 27 2005, 09:14 PM)

how often does one change front fenders??? screwy.gif

go out and take a look at your fenders, believe me, any little modifications filling in holes and making new ones are minor compared to the full removal and replacement welder.gif

looking forward to seeing the new paint job Mike
clap.gif
MattR
So what color? Are you gonna get them to use the leftover paint from lawrence's paint job? biggrin.gif

Hey, call me over when you get the car back up. We can sawzall it up and sell the cocaine they stash in the longs. It will pay for your med school and my engineering school!
Dr Evil
QUOTE (MattR @ Jun 27 2005, 11:41 PM)
So what color? Are you gonna get them to use the leftover paint from lawrence's paint job? biggrin.gif

Hey, call me over when you get the car back up. We can sawzall it up and sell the cocaine they stash in the longs. It will pay for your med school and my engineering school!

Its a secret, shhhhhh ph34r.gif
Red-Beard
It won't look like your car if it's not primer...
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif Cool Mike! I can't wait to see the finished car!
andys
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 27 2005, 07:50 PM)

Covering the side marker light holes, antenna hole, mirror holes on door. Fill in the seams to the fenders by the windshiled. Grind out any rust, treat, prime, paint. Place black tar heroin into my rockers and tranny case. Fix my flares, smooth and paint my targa top, spray sealant onto my floor, remove and replace the seals on my front and rear windows, chem strip the old crappy paint off, fix, prime and paint the whole dang thing. There may be more, but I am going off of memory.

I'll be posting a progress thread for the rest with pics (especially for you, Eric biggrin.gif )

So Mike, are you saying how much?? Los Pancho's?

I'm strongly considering them too, though I haven't personally examined their work...pic's look good, but you really can't tell untill you see it in real life.

Thank's for The Boarder Crossing info......I'd probably flat tow mine; that shouldn't make any difference as long as I have my current plates and registration, right? I shouldn't have any trouble on the Mexican side; wife's brother is a Mexican Senator.

Andy
Dr Evil
Andys,
As long as the car's registration is current, you will be fine. The work that Los Panchos does is better than Maaco, or those cheapo places, but if you are expecting a $10K paint job for $1K you will be dissappointed. As of late, I have been having issues with fish eyes and imperfections in the paint. Oddly enough, the worst examples were with my own stuff. Others have been thrilled (Jim Tab), some have been more critical, but still baically happy. Here is the skinny, you can get your car painted for about $1k if ther is no major body work to be done. If you have body work then it will climb a little. I am having all of my trunk rust ground out and filled with metal, and my holes in the side all covered with metal, plus my fender flare straightened out. My total with paint and them spraying sealant in my trunks and floor boards cost about $1400. That price is including 10% tax. They are also looking to see if they can get me a new front windshield. The paint job will be like 3 coats of paint and 3 of clear. The extra clear is very helpful if there is a discrepancy as you can buff it out usually. All in all, I think that the price is worth it. I used the lessons that I learned to see if I can get them to do the best job on my car. I told them if they get this one right, I will keep people coming to them as I will tell everyone. I spent a good hour talking to the guy who is gonna do the work for me and was told that h is the best that they have. If so, I will give you all his name so you can ask for him. He knows this so lets see how it turns out.
Mike
Eric_Shea
Is it done yet? What's taking them so long? confused24.gif

w00t.gif

Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple, Purple,
SLITS
Ok, I can't take it anymore.....It's BORDER NOT BOARDER
roundboy914
glad i'm knot the only won that was bothering.
grantsfo
Just a few comments regarding border crossing into and out of Mexico. One thing you can plan on with Mexican Customs/Border law is that enforcement changes daily and by region. Often regulations are implemented without much warning. What one person expriences one day can change on the next based on the Mexican Customs/Border agent and location.

While I dont have much experience with cars in tow crossing the borders I do have twenty years of expereince moving almost everything else (legal trade that is) across the border with Mexico. 99 times out of 100 you'll be ok making it though customs without issue, but the one time you get a jerk bent on a power trip or an unethical agent you will wish you never did business in Mexico again. Towing a car is probably not going to cause a problem most of the time, but you cant be certain that the expereince above is going to be the rule.

I would believe the story of a car being siezed in certain circumstances by Mexican Customs. I wouldnt so easily dismiss that story as myth.
Dr Evil
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jun 28 2005, 10:37 AM)
I would believe the story of a car being siezed in certain circumstances by Mexican Customs.  I wouldnt so easily dismiss that story as myth.

Respectfully, it was not a story of it happening, it was a hypebole about what both consules supposedly said.

I have lived here for the better part of 16 years and have dealt with travel and transport to Mexico for as long. True, a bad cop with a power trip can ruin your day and be an exception to the rule, but it is no different on this side of the border. Here is the logic, if they confenscate your car they will have to dispose of it if it is trashy. Since you legally own it you do have rights in Mexico, but it would take some effort to get it back, but you most likely would with no problem. Also, the federal cops are not the crooked ones, typically. Why would they take your vehicle, that you legally own, and not just turn you around? There would have to be some reasons there to warrant such behavior. What you descride is possible, but so is getting hit by a meteor. You have a better chance of getting eaten by a shark off the FL coast than having your property taken without just cause in Mexico.

I only wish to alleviate anyones anxiety about getting their cars painted and worked on down in Mex. You should always be respectful and realize that you are a guest. Other than that, I have never had a problem.
andys
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 28 2005, 10:27 AM)

I only wish to alleviate anyones anxiety about getting their cars painted and worked on down in Mex. You should always be respectful and realize that you are a guest. Other than that, I have never had a problem.

Ahhhh, the magic ingrediant.

Act like "the ugly American", and you'll be treated like one.

Andy
grantsfo
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 28 2005, 10:27 AM)
What you descride is possible, but so is getting hit by a meteor. You have a better chance of getting eaten by a shark off the FL coast than having your property taken without just cause in Mexico.

Having property that was legally my company's siezed and held for ransom by Mexican Customs: 3. Being eaten by a shark off the Florida coast or hit by a meteor: 0. wink.gif

I have transacted thousands of cross border moves through all the key border crossings in Mexico, so it doesnt happen often. As you say its not likely, but it does happen even to the more expereinced people who have delt with Mexican Customs for a living.

I would agree that there isnt much to worry about, but people should know there is always more risk involved when you get any customs official involved in moving goods across the border. Cars in tow are not exempt from poor judgement or corruption of a Customs agent.
Leo Imperial
I guess you could go back to TJ and your car is gone. confused24.gif
Could get T-boned as you pull back into the US.
$1400 for that type of work.
I'm with Mike and can't wait to see the results.
Point is lots of shit can happen at all times.
3 out of thousands...NOT BAD!!!
Makes me want to buy that blue tub in San Diego and send it over.
But could they fix the Hell hole?
Dr Evil
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ Jun 28 2005, 12:40 PM)
I guess you could go back to TJ and your car is gone. confused24.gif
Could get T-boned as you pull back into the US.
$1400 for that type of work.
I'm with Mike and can't wait to see the results.
Point is lots of shit can happen at all times.
3 out of thousands...NOT BAD!!!
Makes me want to buy that blue tub in San Diego and send it over.
But could they fix the Hell hole?

For realy specialized stuff like the hell hole, I woudl not use them. They did the rear trunk for one of the members that had his rear end folded in buy another driver, but the hell hole is bit difficult.
Dr Evil
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jun 28 2005, 11:47 AM)
Having property that was legally my company's siezed and held for ransom by Mexican Customs: 3. Being eaten by a shark off the Florida coast or hit by a meteor: 0. wink.gif

I have transacted thousands of cross border moves through all the key border crossings in Mexico, so it doesnt happen often. As you say its not likely, but it does happen even to the more expereinced people who have delt with Mexican Customs for a living.

I would agree that there isnt much to worry about, but people should know there is always more risk involved when you get any customs official involved in moving goods across the border. Cars in tow are not expemt from poor judgement or corruption of a Customs agent.

To put things into perspective, my old job imported and exported things all over the world for various customers. It was not uncommon for the US customs to snag and hold one of our orders for absoleutely no reason. The irony was that at times it was stuff destined for the US military and was time sensitive and customs was goofing up the whole works. One time, things were held up over a stupid computer monitor which was part of a package order.

It does take all types.
redshift
I am with Jeff, let's see your cracks.

I am also with Slits, ingreeeeeeeedients.

M
grantsfo
US consulate seems to think there is a chance that something could happen if your dont follow the rules to the letter and accompany your car. If the rules around towed vehicles are vague thats where I see issues for abuse.

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/mx2/wwwhcarb.html

My advice is to know the published rules so if anything does happen you can fight back against a misinformed or corrupt official. Some Mexican authorities will screw with you if you dont know the laws. Also realize that not only Customs can give you a hassel, local law enforcement and Federal police have been known to screw with Americans and try to fine them for things they have no authority over.

Just want to make sure anyone who is considering this as an option understands some of the precautions you need to take. I am an overly cautious person when it comes to dealing with Customs, but thats because my livelihood depends on not having problems with those folks.
Dr Evil
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jun 28 2005, 01:16 PM)
US consulate seems to think there is a chance that something could happen if your dont follow the rules to the letter and accompany your car. If the rules around towed vehicles are vague thats where I see issues for abuse.

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/mx2/wwwhcarb.html

My advice is to know the published rules so if anything does happen you can fight back against a misinformed or corrupt official. Some Mexican authorities will screw with you if you dont know the laws. Also realize that not only Customs can give you a hassel, local law enforcement and Federal police have been known to screw with Americans and try to fine them for things they have no authority over.

Just want to make sure anyone who is considering this as an option understands some of the precautions you need to take. I am an overly cautious person when it comes to dealing with Customs, but thats because my livelihood depends on not having problems with those folks.

Agreed. biggrin.gif
Red-Beard
Fine for no reason. That _never_ happens in Mexico... unsure.gif

headbang.gif sheeplove.gif chair.gif
Toast
QUOTE (Red-Beard @ Jun 28 2005, 05:02 PM)
Fine for no reason. That _never_ happens in Mexico... unsure.gif

headbang.gif sheeplove.gif chair.gif

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.