Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ot careful of this 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Posting Details: https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/d/me...6950682796.html

Shared via Daily Classifieds https://s57d9.app.goo.gl/NSef

Guys this is not being represented correctly. Please be Careful as I know the car well. I put it together from a basket case for a guy with a very limited budget. The guy selling has owned it for a week.
Cairo94507
Good heads-up Ben. And typical of most scammers the ad is written as if the seller is fairly illiterate or is 12 years old. I hope people take the time to research these cars before they buy. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Ben one can see that it is rough, but one cannot get much in a 911 these days for 32,000. Best thing is that if YOU did work on the car, we all know that it is right!!!!!!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 7 2019, 10:49 AM) *

Ben one can see that it is rough, but one cannot get much in a 911 these days for 32,000. Best thing is that if YOU did work on the car, we all know that it is right!!!!!!!!

At the risk of getting this wrong, I think what Ben is trying to say is the PO didn't pay to make it "right" but paid to get it together and running. Nothing more.

I know our shop has done the same thing (built to run, nothing more) but we don't put our name on it or call it a restoration.
mb911
agree.gif

Yes I would have bought it for 16k when offered a few weeks ago if its was we'll sorted.
pvollma
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 7 2019, 08:18 AM) *

Guys this is not being represented correctly. Please be Careful as I know the car well. I put it together from a basket case for a guy with a very limited budget. The guy selling has owned it for a week.

VIN shows that it's a 1974 911, not a Carrera, as well as the black fan shroud - US 74 Carrera's had a green one.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(pvollma @ Aug 7 2019, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 7 2019, 08:18 AM) *

VIN shows that it's a 1974 911, not a Carrera, as well as the black fan shroud - US 74 Carrera's had a green one.

74 is a weird year..non S small cams and intake ports...
sithot
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 7 2019, 06:36 PM) *

'74's are a great changeover year. They used the same exhaust as the earlier cars (2 into 2).

The 2.7s "Achilles Heel" were the thermal reactors that showed up in '75. The already sketchy valve guide wear was accelerated by added heat. Pulled stud issues are well publicized.

Porsches "Federally Mandated" bumpers are also a better looking design than anything that came out of Detroit or anywhere else for that matter.

Give thanks to the late-great Tony Lapine.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 7 2019, 12:09 PM) *

agree.gif

Yes I would have bought it for 16k when offered a few weeks ago if its was we'll sorted.

You passed on this car for $16,000?
mb911
Yes pictures make it look way nicer and he asked I not flip it to sell and I am a man of my word so I didn't buy it.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 8 2019, 08:03 AM) *

Yes pictures make it look way nicer and he asked I not flip it to sell and I am a man of my word so I didn't buy it.

That makes sense, I've been in those situations.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 8 2019, 07:24 AM) *

agree.gif

He was holding out for this one.
https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1967-po...ASAEEgLT5fD_BwE
PCH
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 8 2019, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 8 2019, 07:24 AM) *

agree.gif

He was holding out for this one.
https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1967-po...ASAEEgLT5fD_BwE

WOW! The original Fred Flintsone car!
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 8 2019, 12:03 PM) *

agree.gif If you aren't going to flip it, it's very hard to make money buying a car and restoring on spec. The same buyer who doesn't want to pay for a good deal on a finished shop car will often pay 2-5X as much, paying hourly out of pocket for a similar car that they commission a shop to build. It doesn't make sense but it's the way it is.

sixnotfour
QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 8 2019, 07:08 AM) *

'74's are a great changeover year. They used the same exhaust as the earlier cars (2 into 2).

The 2.7s "Achilles Heel" were the thermal reactors that showed up in '75. The already sketchy valve guide wear was accelerated by added heat. Pulled stud issues are well publicized.

Porsches "Federally Mandated" bumpers are also a better looking design than anything that came out of Detroit or anywhere else for that matter.

yes but, black shroud ,,,not an S...

worn
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 8 2019, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 8 2019, 07:08 AM) *

yes but, black shroud ,,,not an S...

When was the tea try introduced? Color me ignorant.
IronHillRestorations
Good to shine some light. Whatever agreement you had with the prior seller is between you and him, and I know you are a stand up guy Ben.

That said, when someone sells something at a deal price to get it gone fast, why do people have a problem with someone selling it for fair market value and making something on the deal? Obviously a sketchy car is another story, but it seems to me there's a lot of hate for people who flip cars.

As long as the car isn't misrepresented and the new owner is happy, what's the rub? Because Joe Blow didn't get the deal, or because Frank Flipper made some money?
sithot
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 8 2019, 10:26 PM) *

1978 Turbo
mb911
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 8 2019, 06:38 PM) *

Good to shine some light. Whatever agreement you had with the prior seller is between you and him, and I know you are a stand up guy Ben.

That said, when someone sells something at a deal price to get it gone fast, why do people have a problem with someone selling it for fair market value and making something on the deal? Obviously a sketchy car is another story, but it seems to me there's a lot of hate for people who flip cars.

As long as the car isn't misrepresented and the new owner is happy, what's the rub? Because Joe Blow didn't get the deal, or because Frank Flipper made some money?

Perry completly agree.. I have flipped a few cars myself.. My issue with the ad is it's a complete lie and that's what gets me..
jcd914
QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 9 2019, 05:01 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 8 2019, 10:26 PM) *

1978 Turbo

If "tea try" is referring to the rear tail this car has, it was used on the 76/77 Turbos with the 3.0L engine.
1978 got a larger tail to cover the intercooler that was added in 78 with the 3.3L engine.

Jim
sithot
The "tea tray" spoiler didn't appear until 1978 and yes, the intercooler had some bearing on it's size. The '75-'77 Turbos used a variation of the '75 Carrera spoiler. The tea tray looks like this. The rubber is the "tray". beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
jcd914
QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 9 2019, 05:18 PM) *

The "tea tray" spoiler didn't appear until 1978 and yes, the intercooler had some bearing on it's size. The '75-'77 Turbos used a variation of the '75 Carrera spoiler. The tea tray looks like this. The rubber is the "tray". beerchug.gif

I had never heard any of them referred to as a "Tea Tray" but there are all kinds of nick names for things.

The car in the ad has the earlier Turbo tail. I actually like the look of the early tail better than the latter tails used on the inter-cooled cars.

Jim

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 9 2019, 04:45 PM) *

I had never heard any of them referred to as a "Tea Tray" but there are all kinds of nick names for things.

The car in the ad has the earlier Turbo tail. I actually like the look of the early tail better than the latter tails used on the inter-cooled cars.

Jim

Click to view attachment

The one in the ad is a very very poor copy of the original
jcd914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 9 2019, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 9 2019, 04:45 PM) *

Jim

Click to view attachment

The one in the ad is a very very poor copy of the original

I assumed the one in the ad was an aftermarket copy but it doesn't look too bad in the picture but it is just a picture.
I do recall seeing aftermarket tails that were longer and maybe wider than the OE tail and they don't look right.

Not too many people would be willing to pay for an OE tail as an add on.
At the first Porsche dealership I worked at we had a customer that seemed to never be shocked or stopped by the price of parts and even he passed on a OE tail at $900 for the rubber lip and $800 for the deck lid/tail. That was about 1980 or so.

Jim
sithot
agree.gif

The early tail is far better looking. Porsche produced another one for the Carrera 3.2. It's an add on just like the '78 tail but not as heavy looking but still not as pretty as the once piece deck lid. The rubber portion of the spoiler is much wider on the sides when viewed from above.

Click to view attachment

'80 Weissach 911SC came with the early '75 style tail:
Click to view attachment

An '80 Weissach with a "tea tray" tail. This car has a 3.3 Turbo engine conversion. Note the difference in the bases between the 1st photo with the late Carrera tail. The turbo base utilized more deck lid.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
I ain't never heard of no "tea tray" on one'na those Porch's. bootyshake.gif

That must have been invented by a bloke from across the pond.

I believe the term your looking for is Whale Tail.

Not to be confused with the thong version of a Whale Tail that you might spot on the local female population. Typically after the sun sets, and near local clubs that serve copious amounts of alcohol! drunk.gif

laugh.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 10 2019, 11:07 AM) *

I believe the term your looking for is Whale Tail.

Not to be confused with the thong version of a Whale Tail that you might spot on the local female population. Typically after the sun sets, and near local clubs that serve copious amounts of alcohol! drunk.gif

laugh.gif

Yes! It's a whale tail dammit. Makes an ass look good.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.