Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Mileage 69K?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoronaMike
Hi all,

So, I bought my 74 1.8 about 6 months ago. The PO was a VW guy that came across this 914 in the 2nd ownder's garage and couldn't pass it up.

The guy I bought it from only had it for about a year, but didn't have much time to work on it or enjoy it because he was busy rebuilding a Ghia.

He told me he wasn't sure, but he didn't think the mileage was correct at 69,500 miles.

I didn't think much of it because it was love at first sight for me and didn't care HOW many miles were on it.

But the more I drive it and look at the interior - there's no way the odometer flipped at 100k and there is actually 169k miles on it.

The interior is still original and is in amazing condition. I feel like it spent a lot of time sitting in garages.

My question is - without service records or anything like that - is there any way to definitively find out if this is a true 69k miles?

Thanks!!

Mike
ConeDodger
No. smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a good photo shoot will tell all

QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Aug 7 2019, 12:45 PM) *

Hi all,

So, I bought my 74 1.8 about 6 months ago. The PO was a VW guy that came across this 914 in the 2nd ownder's garage and couldn't pass it up.

The guy I bought it from only had it for about a year, but didn't have much time to work on it or enjoy it because he was busy rebuilding a Ghia.

He told me he wasn't sure, but he didn't think the mileage was correct at 69,500 miles.

I didn't think much of it because it was love at first sight for me and didn't care HOW many miles were on it.

But the more I drive it and look at the interior - there's no way the odometer flipped at 100k and there is actually 169k miles on it.

The interior is still original and is in amazing condition. I feel like it spent a lot of time sitting in garages.

My question is - without service records or anything like that - is there any way to definitively find out if this is a true 69k miles?

Thanks!!

Mike

914_7T3
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Aug 7 2019, 12:45 PM) *

Yes, if you tear the car down, she will give up her secrets. Can't see how it would be worth the effort though.
Chris914n6
At 69k nothing should have been taken apart yet, so condition of nuts, bolts, and screw heads.
Sag in the drivers seat cushion.
"Sandblasting" of the original windshield.
Original bulbs and headlights?
Tail light housings in great shape?
Trunk pivots will be untouched (not welded back on).
No hell hole rust because it went decades without being washed.

I scored a 71 with 78k on the odo, last driven in 82 because of a front end collision. These were the things that stood out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.