Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 2.0 stainless muffler.. 1st production unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
Here is the 1st 914 2.0 muffler for @superhawk996 .. It turned out really nice .. I hope this product will be well received as we took along time to develop this based off of the 914-6 muffler factory design and implemented allot of those principles to the 2.0 muffler. Rumor has it may do a group buy or special pricing for okteenerfestClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
sb914
It’s beautiful!
Superhawk996
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Wait till I polish that baby someday!
ValcoOscar
beerchug.gif beer.gif piratenanner.gif beer3.gif cheer.gif
I can see this being a big seller for you Ben.
Congrats!!!

Bellissimo

Oscar
Mblizzard
Great work Ben!

Check out the "rumor" on the group buy here!
914werke
Looks FANTASTIC. Now we need an audio clip of its sound!
Superhawk996
That will be a problem. My engine is in pieces at the moment and so is the chassis.

At the moment I’m cash flowing parts in anticipation of a complete vehicle sad.gif

That way I avoid a huge cash outflow, lump sum, at final assembly and/or lead time issues.
mb911
I totally understand that and I would be there is a huge group of people just in the same situation as you.
914Sixer
Looks better made than a Dansk. smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
Thanks Mark they are all stainless(304) and hand TIG welded.
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 8 2019, 10:33 AM) *

That will be a problem. My engine is in pieces at the moment and so is the chassis.

At the moment I’m cash flowing parts in anticipation of a complete vehicle sad.gif

That way I avoid a huge cash outflow, lump sum, at final assembly and/or lead time issues.

I think we need to find someone with a well sorted engine nearby who can bolt this on long enough to get a sound clip. I'm really interested in these but am in the camp who wants to hear it. I'm also curious if it is practical to tweak the guts of these things to adjust the sound up or down to buyer's taste. I know nothing about muffler design and just asking that question probably makes it obvious.
mb911
I am good with someone testing it but am not down for tweaking each unit for sound levels.. One thing I have learned is that when you sell a la carte you open your self up to a huge confusing mess.. Rewind 3 years ago when I offered the 914-6 heat exchangers up for the 1st time I offered with or without o2 bungs.. People were sending o2 bungs with all different location requests and trust me nothing was standard.. It really gets balled up fast.
Superhawk996
I’m totally fine if Ben wants to bolt up and get a sound clip or would work it out if there is a volunteer in Detroit area
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 8 2019, 12:29 PM) *

I am good with someone testing it but am not down for tweaking each unit for sound levels.. One thing I have learned is that when you sell a la carte you open your self up to a huge confusing mess.. Rewind 3 years ago when I offered the 914-6 heat exchangers up for the 1st time I offered with or without o2 bungs.. People were sending o2 bungs with all different location requests and trust me nothing was standard.. It really gets balled up fast.

Fair enough and totally understandable. I was more thinking along the lines of offering a couple version for sound rather than custom tweaks. Even with that, I have no idea what it would entail in additional R&D and production costs, so you can just ignore my ignorance or give me one of these slap.gif . In reality, I'm probably the only person on the forum who wants a muffler as quiet as I'd like so will settle for as quiet as I can get. smile.gif
Superhawk996
Honestly I bought without need to hear based solely on the quality of Ben’s work and the fact that there any really any viable alternatives done this well in stainless.

I also don’t mind loud nor do I mind quiet. Per Ben’s note, the ability to tweak could drive you crazy. I know we’ll how much work goes into an OEM exhaust to meet pass by noise regulations and to simultaneously tune character. Ben doesn’t have that kind of time or resources and I accept that reality.
mb911
Superhawk it says you should have it by Saturday..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
ben by chance did you do any dyno testing on your muffler vs the stock 2.0, and maybe even bursch?
ctc911ctc
Very interested !
flipb
Count me as interested as well.

Running 2056cc with 40mm carbs and the rusty Monza/Manta that came with my car. I'd volunteer as tribute if you want to ship the next production unit to VA for me to record a sound clip. happy11.gif
mb911
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 8 2019, 01:09 PM) *

ben by chance did you do any dyno testing on your muffler vs the stock 2.0, and maybe even bursch?

Jake Raby just did with my 912e muffler with the same internals and he messaged me with positive results.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2019, 10:38 AM) *

Fair enough and totally understandable. I was more thinking along the lines of offering a couple version for sound rather than custom tweaks. Even with that, I have no idea what it would entail in additional R&D and production costs, so you can just ignore my ignorance or give me one of these slap.gif . In reality, I'm probably the only person on the forum who wants a muffler as quiet as I'd like so will settle for as quiet as I can get. smile.gif

@bbrock the only thing I might be willing to leave out is the packing material other then that the internals would stay as is which is a mirror of the factory 911 914-6 muffler just in stainless with slightly larger tubing and perfs. That would make it louder. Personally I like quieter now as I have gotten older.
Steve
smilie_pokal.gif
Looks awesome. I am guessing this is the same internals of your six quiet muffler?
I love the sound and power of your quiet muffler on my 3.2 six. I can actually talk to people inside my car with no noticeable drone.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 9 2019, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2019, 10:38 AM) *

@bbrock the only thing I might be willing to leave out is the packing material other then that the internals would stay as is which is a mirror of the factory 911 914-6 muffler just in stainless with slightly larger tubing and perfs. That would make it louder. Personally I like quieter now as I have gotten older.

Quiet is good! thumb3d.gif Where I live, loud motors are a lot harder on wildlife than people realize and I've seen real changes in wildlife in our valley as the number of loud boy toys has increased. It's pretty important to me. It seems most people want their 914s to growl, but I'd prefer mine to whisper. biggrin.gif

I'm very interested in your mufflers. I have a NOS Bursch that I want to experiment with different muffs, but don't see it as a long term solution. I know the quality of yours will be second to none and a lifetime investment.
Superhawk996
I do intend to build an engine test stand once I have an assembled motor. Would be glad to sound clip at that point but given I have a skin graft scheduled for Monday I fear that engine assembly may be a few months off.

I guess I’m only one in Detroit with a 914?? I assumed we had one or two more around here ???
mb911
I do have my test stand I will be getting rid of shortly just an fyi.
TravisNeff
Very nice Ben!
mb911
Thanks.
mb911
I have enough flanges laser cut for 9 of these. Who is in??
JeffBowlsby
700 SIMOLIANS FOR THIS BAD BOY?

Can you post photos from different angles of it mounted on a 2.0L car?
mb911
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 11 2019, 05:03 PM) *

700 SIMOLIANS FOR THIS BAD BOY?

Can you post photos from different angles of it mounted on a 2.0L car?

Unfortunately I can't as I sent it off to its new home in Michigan it fits just as a stock muffler fits though.. The next one built I can though..
pvollma
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 11 2019, 08:51 PM) *

It does not look like it would fit a stock 1976 2.0L that currently has a Bursch. Is that correct?
mb911
QUOTE(pvollma @ Aug 11 2019, 06:34 PM) *

It does not look like it would fit a stock 1976 2.0L that currently has a Bursch. Is that correct?

Does yours have stock 76 heat exchangers?
Gatornapper
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Aug 9 2019, 08:33 AM) *

Very interested !

Ditto.

GN
pvollma
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 12 2019, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(pvollma @ Aug 11 2019, 06:34 PM) *

Does yours have stock 76 heat exchangers?

Yes.
Garland
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 9 2019, 10:32 AM) *

I do intend to build an engine test stand once I have an assembled motor. Would be glad to sound clip at that point but given I have a skin graft scheduled for Monday I fear that engine assembly may be a few months off.

I guess I’m only one in Detroit with a 914?? I assumed we had one or two more around here ???

Nope, just waiting on my flywheel to be balanced, and I’ll be back in business. If interested I would be glad to help. Right now running 2.0 exchangers. I should be done by the end of the week.

Michigan Build
Click to view attachment
mb911
I have 7 sets of flanges. left but 1 set might be reserved for a display at okteenerfest.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 12 2019, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 9 2019, 10:32 AM) *

Nope, just waiting on my flywheel to be balanced, and I’ll be back in business. If interested I would be glad to help. Right now running 2.0 exchangers. I should be done by the end of the week.

Michigan Build
Click to view attachment

1st phase of skin graft surgery this morning. Under doctor orders to not sweat for at least a week while I have some crazy vacuum dressing on the wound to help suck out fluids. Can you believe that crap?

Anyway if you get to the point of being able to bolt on and run I’d be more than happy to meet a local teener and see if we can get a sound clip for Ben. Just PM me if you get close and have interest in trying it out.

Nice engine !
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 9 2019, 09:02 AM) *

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Do the factory mufflers use packing material, or just baffles?

What about yours?

Thanks.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 12 2019, 02:28 PM) *

What about yours?

Thanks.

I'll let Ben speak to his muffler.

However OEM mufflers that I'm aware of all use packing material in one form or another. Adds a mellowness. No packing gets a tinny, high frequency reverberation (sometimes called shell ring) that isn't overly nice. Packing helps reduce sound to manageable levels by acting as acoustic damping.
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 12 2019, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 12 2019, 02:28 PM) *

What about yours?

Thanks.

I'll let Ben speak to his muffler.

However OEM mufflers that I'm aware of all use packing material in one form or another. Adds a mellowness. No packing gets a tinny, high frequency reverberation (sometimes called shell ring) that isn't overly nice. Packing helps reduce sound to manageable levels by acting as acoustic damping.

agree.gif

Yes to what superhawk said. We use a high end fiberglass packing.
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 12 2019, 01:02 PM) *

agree.gif

Thank you both. I expect that a stainless muffler will outlive me. But, what is the life expectancy of the packing?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 12 2019, 04:06 PM) *

But, what is the life expectancy of the packing?

Ha ! Same for me but in my case the packing will outlive me too! rolleyes.gif I hope to still have another 25 - 30 years in me.
mb911
QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 12 2019, 12:06 PM) *

agree.gif

Thank you both. I expect that a stainless muffler will outlive me. But, what is the life expectancy of the packing?

I have pulled apart mufflers that are 30 years old still having all the packing.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 12 2019, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 12 2019, 12:06 PM) *

agree.gif

I have pulled apart mufflers that are 30 years old still having all the packing.

Maybe I've set the bar too low. Maybe I should be shooting for another 50 years. biggrin.gif
pete000
Sound clip??
Superhawk996
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 12 2019, 06:21 PM) *

Sound clip??

Some doofus in MI bought 1st unit and doesn't even have engine assembled. beerchug.gif shades.gif
Superhawk996

Sound clip??

Some doofus in MI bought 1st unit and doesn't even have engine assembled with no ability in near future to get sound clip. beerchug.gif shades.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 12 2019, 04:16 PM) *

Sound clip??

Some doofus in MI bought 1st unit and doesn't even have engine assembled. beerchug.gif shades.gif

Let’s lynch that guy!
Mblizzard

Sound clip??

Let’s lynch that guy!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 12 2019, 08:18 PM) *

Sound clip??

Let’s lynch that guy!

av-943.gif

In my defense, when I saw Ben do the 1.7L/1.8L units (sound clips over there on that thread) I knew I had to have one for 2.0L and was waiting for him to get a good part to fixture off from. Then it all just came together.

Just pretend unit #2 is #1 and have that guy clip it. I'll vouch for the welds . . . . artwork! If Michelangelo were going to paint your car would you insist on seeing the paint samples 1st?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.