Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: beware of this vendor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roadsportusa
Bestone914@aol.com Bruce Stone in Riverside, Ca. Sold be two rebuild-able rear calipers. I paid in full for them. I received them and they had rusted and pitted pistons and bores and could not be rebuilt. They were good for core exchange only. I call Bruce Stone and he instructed me to return them at my expense and he would refund the cost only. I returned them , paying the postage. $24.
He will not return my calls or emails. I called and emailed him over twenty times in the last 60 days. He went totally silent. This is bull shit!

Beware of this guy!!!
sb914
Slow your roll ! Bruce is a legit guy . He helps out the whole community!
I’m sure he’ll make it right. welcome.png
76-914
agree.gif There must be another side to this story that isn't told here. He's always been a standup member.
ConeDodger
If they were as you say “good for core” they are rebuildable. This isn’t adding up...
Mblizzard
I will have to second that Bruce will make it right.

Anytime you buy and sell a used part there is a chance that in a part that is pushing 50-years old something might not be known about the part at the time of the buy or sale. We all should keep this in mind every time we buy.

First I would never rebuild brakes on a 914. We have people (Eric at PMB Performance) that are real experts and overall you get the best safety going that route. Especially on the rears.

The solution for paying the shipping is perfectly reasonable as both parties took a chance on the parts. If you wanted to be 100% they were not pitted you would have asked to see a photo of the pistons and if Bruce wanted to be sure he could have inspected before shipping.

I had a similar issue once, not with Bruce, where I had sent stuff to the wrong address. Not saying that happened but sometimes there are multiple reasons for the mix-up.

But Your best bet is still going through PMB.
Chi-town
I would suggest you send them to PMB to be rebuilt as you probably don't have the experience with 914 calipers that you needed to make your claim.

The bore of the caliper is just a guide. It can have minor pitting and work just fine.

We almost never reuse the factory pistons as they are always rusty and pitted.

As with most new 914 owners, what you think is junk may be the exact opposite.

Bruce is an upstanding member of our community so for you to come in making accusations on your 4th post ever is a bit much.
rhodyguy
Contacted 20 times after returning the parts and 0 on the other end? Other vendors would have been roasted alive. The buyer seems to have done as told and returned them on his nickle. So shipping both ways for what turns out to be scrap? If they were bought as rebuildable cores that's not the buyers fault. I don't think PMB can rebuild EVERY caliper that comes thru the doors.
ConeDodger
I just checked Facebook. Bruce is In Cat Training School, learning how to herd cats... blink.gif
rhodyguy
Pretty funny. You missed your calling. You should have become a comedian.
Chi-town
Talked with Bruce, what the op didn't say is that he returned them with chisel damage to the pistons because his supposed mechanic didn't know what he was doing
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 8 2019, 12:41 PM) *

Once again genius, Bruce really is talking about Cat Training School on Facebook.
ValcoOscar
Just saying....Bruce wouldn't purposely take advantage of anyone. He is a great asset to our community. Something does not add up. ???

He lives about an hour away and can often be found in my garage on weekends working on member cars...free of charge. That's the Bruce I know and cherish.

my 2 cents...

Oscar
Chi-town
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 8 2019, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 8 2019, 12:41 PM) *

Once again genius, Bruce really is talking about Cat Training School on Facebook.

He works in data cataloging
Literati914
..but regarding the inability to contact him when there's a problem with a sell - we have a similar conversation on a fairly regular basis around here, from what I've seen. Yet everyone still vouches for him confused24.gif . So he probably is a great guy but could certainly do better if he's gonna bother to sell stuff and maintain his good reputation, jmho.
914_teener
Honestly....posts like this serve no purpose.

The transaction is between two people and can be handled without getting up on a internet soapbox.

I am sure Bruce is able to tell the OP to pound sand on his own.

beer3.gif

76-914
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 8 2019, 08:51 AM) *

Talked with Bruce, what the op didn't say is that he returned them with chisel damage to the pistons because his supposed mechanic didn't know what he was doing

Sounds about right. shades.gif I remember when someone was slamming SoCal Andy over a sticker he was waiting on. Then I heard from Andy as to what really transpired. Regardless, I judge folks by my personal dealings with them; not what others say. I once had a mechanic neighbor that screwed many folks. But for some reason he took a liking to me and offered any assistance needed to me every time. He even replaced a timing chain on my Dad's RV for free. A regular Prince to me so I had nothing but great experiences with him. Go figure? confused24.gif
rhodyguy
"Genius"? Fuck you chubby.
JamesM
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 8 2019, 07:51 AM) *

That sounds about right given the nature of the rears. Absolutely only want to let someone that knows what they are doing tear down a caliper. I have seen them tear apart a lot of calipers at PMB, dont ever recall them using a hammer and chisel!!!

Betting the OP wont respond to this thread now.
iankarr
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 8 2019, 12:18 PM) *

Just saying....Bruce wouldn't purposely take advantage of anyone. He is a great asset to our community. Something does not add up. ???

He lives about an hour away and can often be found in my garage on weekends working on member cars...free of charge. That's the Bruce I know and cherish.

my 2 cents...

Oscar

agree.gif 1000% I have first-hand experience of his generosity. I'm confident all will be right.
914_7T3
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 8 2019, 10:04 AM) *

The transaction is between two people and can be handled without getting up on a internet soapbox.

agree.gif

With that being said I will also vouch for Bruce's integrity. I have purchased many parts including a full suspension set up that he spent more than 12 hours helping install. The 914 community benefits greatly from his knowledge and tech sessions too. Check out this set up compliments of Bruce!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

drem914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 8 2019, 07:30 AM) *

Slow your roll ! Bruce is a legit guy . He helps out the whole community!
I’m sure he’ll make it right. welcome.png

agree.gif
Cairo94507
I don't know roadsportusa, but I do know Bruce. I put no stock at all in what this new member is saying. Additionally, based upon the tone of his post, I hope he checks his blood pressure and calms down.

Bruce is a standup guy and I have never known him to be anything but that. A valued resource to our community and one of the first to offer assistance to anyone. Just sayin. beerchug.gif
Steve
agree.gif Great guy, knowledgeable, etc. never had an issue.
Bought tons of stuff from Bruce including my current gas tank and 914 top.
wes
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 8 2019, 12:15 PM) *

I don't know roadsportusa, but I do know Bruce. I put no stock at all in what this new member is saying. Additionally, based upon the tone of his post, I hope he checks his blood pressure and calms down.

Bruce is a standup guy and I have never known him to be anything but that. A valued resource to our community and one of the first to offer assistance to anyone. Just sayin. beerchug.gif

agree.gif I’m beginning to think maybe new members should have something like a waiting period before they can complain about other members. That would give them time to learn of some of the standup members and suppliers that really help make this site what it is. My 2 cents!
Larmo63
Good form in coming in here on your fourth post and slamming someone like Bruce. Bruce has done so many good turns for me personally, and I know he's helped many others here quite generously.

The OP is barking up the wrong tree. Bruce has many satisfied customers here pray.gif .
burton73
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 8 2019, 12:50 PM) *

Good form in coming in here on your fourth post and slamming someone like Bruce. Bruce has done so many good turns for me personally, and I know he's helped many others here quite generously.

The OP is barking up the wrong tree. Bruce has many satisfied customers here pray.gif .

agree.gif Right On, Right On, Right on popcorn[1].gif
76-914

He has actually been here for 3.5 years, has 3 pages of posts on file. All of his posts have been WTB: or WTS: ads in the classifieds. No interaction in the other forums. beerchug.gif Peace out.
914_teener
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 8 2019, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 8 2019, 10:04 AM) *

agree.gif

With that being said I will also vouch for Bruce's integrity. I have purchased many parts including a full suspension set up that he spent more than 12 hours helping install. The 914 community benefits greatly from his knowledge and tech sessions too. Check out this set up compliments of Bruce!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hey Jeff.....still want those spring clips for the 2.0 airbox?

PM me if you do.

bdstone914
@roadsportusa
@conedodger
@chi-town
@76-914

@914_teener

So here is my side. I sold a pair of rear 911calipers in core rebuildable condition.
More than a year later Ron contacts me ans says his mechanic said that are rusted, seized and "need to be resleeved". Hmmm.
The calipers have not sign of external rust and were the best pair I had.
I asked for pictures to back up the claims. I get a picture of one bore with minor surface rust. I send the pic to @eric_shea and he confirms that the small amount of rust is not problem as I thought.

I told him to return the calipers. When I get them it looks like a large chisel was used on the top of a piston to remove it.
All other pistons are in there bores.

At this point I realize Ron and his mechanic are too unknowledgeable to waste time to deal with.

So I get damaged calipers and am supposed to refund in full plus shipping and what his incompentent mechanic charged to screw up the calipers.
I am cutting my losses and Ron you can take it as a loss too. You have wasted too much of my time.
I consider this thread closed. I will not be replying to this thread.
Thank you to all those who stood up for me.
My suggestion to others is do not sell to this member to avoid problems caused by people who do not know what they are doing.

Bruce

QUOTE(roadsportusa @ Aug 8 2019, 07:26 AM) *

Bestone914@aol.com Bruce Stone in Riverside, Ca. Sold be two rebuild-able rear calipers. I paid in full for them. I received them and they had rusted and pitted pistons and bores and could not be rebuilt. They were good for core exchange only. I call Bruce Stone and he instructed me to return them at my expense and he would refund the cost only. I returned them , paying the postage. $24.
He will not return my calls or emails. I called and emailed him over twenty times in the last 60 days. He went totally silent. This is bull shit!

Beware of this guy!!!
75porsche914
I would vouch for Bruce Stone's integrity and I'm sure anyone who knows Bruce would do the same.

There are always 2 sides to a story and although I am unsure of the circumstances I would feel confident stating that if you are purchasing from Bruce Stone you are dealing with a reputable, knowledgeable professional and a caring person at that too.

bs.gif
76-914
Hah! Just as I said in post #3. Most of us here that have dealt with Bruce knew something was Rotten in Denmark. beerchug.gif
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 8 2019, 11:52 AM) *

agree.gif Right On, Right On, Right on popcorn[1].gif

Left leg left leg left leg
Literati914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 8 2019, 12:20 PM) *

Regardless, I judge folks by my personal dealings with them; not what others say.

That's me too. I just know that I sent money to Bruce on 10/20 and didn't received my item til sometime after 11/20. Nor did I receive any reply from him after many attempts at PMs (all the while he'd been on-line and commenting in various threads) - and this was AFTER getting absolutely RIPPED by him on 11/12 for sending money via 'friends and family'. Sorry dude. Then I only heard from him after posting on the forum multiple times asking if anyone had heard from him lately (and everyone vouching for his rep). This seems to be a big part of what the OP is miffed about - and I can't blame him for that. Of course I give Bruce the benefit of the doubt on the scarred brake piston - I could see that happening too.
Coondog
I was done when Bruce said the buyer contacted him a year later........ WTF.gif
So the buyer has been trolling this site for over 3 years and doesn’t have enough since to send them to PMB in the the first place....... confused24.gif
worn
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 8 2019, 01:31 PM) *

I was done when Bruce said the buyer contacted him a year later........ WTF.gif
So the buyer has been trolling this site for over 3 years and doesn’t have enough since to send them to PMB in the the first place....... confused24.gif

Or how to use a grease gun. Works time after time.
ClayPerrine
We are done here.

This has gone from bad to worse and resulted in a bunch of hurt feelings.

And it's taking time from me getting the 4.0 installed in the chassis.

Thread closed. Any new threads about this subject will be deleted without notice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.