Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust removal/repair progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt914MI
I haven't had much time to work on my car since I pulled the engine, but today I got a couple hours between work and sleep. I started to clean up this terrible rust mess in the passenger side of the engine compartment.
IPB Image

Surprisingly, the only spot that's rusted through is the very bottom where it meets the passenger compartment divider.
IPB Image

Here's a different angle:
IPB Image

Only surface rust over here:
IPB Image

Here's a nice pic of what someone thought was a good way to fix the clutch cable.
IPB Image

And closer up:
IPB Image

Think my clutch tube needs reenforcement?
IPB Image

This petal cluster is going to be difficult to remove:
IPB Image

Nice of them to give me this nice parts/tool storage place:
IPB Image

Anyone want a free battery tray? Too bad, it's in the trash...
IPB Image

I really don't want to cut this center tunnel out, but it may be my only choice:
IPB Image

Because this is what the bottom looks like:
IPB Image

It's coming along I guess.
IPB Image

Hopefully I'll get this engine all cleaned up tomorrow. It's supposed to rain, and the car stays outside.
IPB Image

Well, that's it for today. I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress, since I just got a nice new digital camera. I promise the pics will be smaller next time. I don't have time to shrink them now.

-Matt
SirAndy
outsch! is all i can say. i feel for you ...

i like your new floor-pans, they have a "concrete" look to them rolleyes.gif

another one going to be saved from the rust-monster. pray.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif

Andy
MJHanna
Hey I though you could only post ONE pic per post on this BB How did he do that???? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Jul 16 2003, 11:54 AM)
Hey I though you could only post ONE pic per post on this BB How did he do that???? confused24.gif

link to them.

he has the pix on a web-server, and you can add as many IMG tags as you want in a post ...

Andy
seanery
they aren't working now!

oops musta gone through his quota of bandwith!
SirAndy
if the above pix don't load for ya, go here to get a list of links to the pix.
there you can look at them one by one ...

http://mcchicken.homeip.net:2080/pics2/car...914/2003-07-16/
seanery
no go, they aren't loading.

If you checked them, Andy, they may have been cached on your computer.
SirAndy
oh, hehe, you're right ...

Andy
tryan
must of them loaded. man,you are hard core or a glutton for punishment. 71 on the 911?
Jeroen
Man, your car looks even worse than mine blink.gif
Are you sure you wanna repair this?

cheers,

Jeroen
David_S
blink.gif
Well, I know what you are going to be going through! Some of yours looks better that mine, but some places look better. At least like Andy said, "another one survives the rust monster." I will just be glad when all of my rust repair is finished!
Gint
Does that car have some sentimental value or what? I wouldn't touch it. icon8.gif But, good luck and have fun. smilie_wirdgut.gif beer.gif
Matt914MI
It only has the sentimental value that it's earned since I started working on it. I knew when I bought it that the floorpan was rusted out, but I thought it was just the floorpan. Amazingly enough, the body doesn't have a lot of rust. Oh well, it's a great learning experience for me, and it'll keep me busy for a long while. I've got big ideas, like a tube-frame rear end, and either a porsche 6 or subaru engine transplant. At this point I don't have much money in it, and it's been a lot of fun. I made new rear floorpan pieces from scrap 14ga sheet metal I got for free. I have a decent welder and will be using it a lot in the next few weeks. I enjoy the challenge of repairing that car. I feel it's something I have to do now. This forum has been EXTREMELY helpful thus far. If I didn't find this forum, I probably would be attempting to drive around that rust-mobile right now. Now I'll FULLY understand every part of that car before it gets driven again. Also, while it's all the way apart, if anybody needs any pictures, just ask. I can do it as long as the area in question is not oxidized beyond belief.

-Matt
Matt914MI
Oh yeah, the 911 is a 70 T. It's not mine, but my dad's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.