Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 point seat belts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Putting in a Harness bar I bought from Oscar so I am in the market for 4 point seat belts.
Who’s sells the best ones..?
What’s the best width.....2/12 or 3 inch ?
Due the pads for the shoulders make a difference...?
Specracer
I use Scroth in our race cars. I use the 2", especially as it sits better on the Hans.

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/schroth-harnesses
falcor75
Schroth with the anti submarining function is the only one you want.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Specracer @ Aug 9 2019, 06:07 AM) *

I use Scroth in our race cars. I use the 2", especially as it sits better on the Hans.

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/schroth-harnesses

I'm assuming the question is related to track use. Use of Hans device is the best idea of all. Look at case history and you'll quickly see race belts and helmets leads to increased neck trauma unless used with Hans device.

4 or 5 point belts really are not a good choice for street use. Better than nothing of course but a 3 point belt is better overall for real world use.

Didn't mean this to stir the pot but it probably will. Be safe out there!
jd74914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 9 2019, 05:40 AM) *

I'm assuming the question is related to track use. Use of Hans device is the best idea of all. Look at case history and you'll quickly see race belts and helmets leads to increased neck trauma unless used with Hans device.

4 or 5 point belts really are not a good choice for street use. Better than nothing of course but a 3 point belt is better overall for real world use.

Didn't mean this to stir the pot but it probably will. Be safe out there!

agree.gif HANS is really important with a helmet.

But...Schroth is really the only manufacturer to consider. Their 4-point DOT-rated harnesses are supposed to be the only really safe non-3-pt belts out there for street use as they have the correct staged elasticity and anti-submarining characteristics. The amount of engineering that goes in really seems to be much higher than all of their competition.
Superhawk996
HANS device was invented and developed by professor Hubbard at Michigan State University, my alma mater. Was a great guy with the unusual ability to see the practical application of theory. Rare skill in academia. Don’t get me started on my Fluid Dynamics professor!

Just passed away in Feb of 2019 at age 75. Shame. He has saved so many lives with HANS.

If you race - buy one & use it! Your loved ones will thank you!
raynekat
I agree than 4/5/6 point harnesses are not meant for the street.
Just try to open your glovebox, roll down the passenger window, etc without the 3 point retractible street belts.
It's a real PITA.
I've tried the above (4/5/6) numerous times and always desire the 3 pt retractible belts in the end.
JMHO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.