Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building a GT lid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatrickB
Had the first big road trip with my car after an engine conversion... and decided I need to go with a GT lid. I put the rad in the engine compartment and REALLY want to leave it there. I like having a usable frunk. Heat issues unless I was running with the lid open. Doing some air control measures in the engine compartment to see if it helps.
I should have taken a good look at Mark Henry's while I was at Mosport this weekend. I know Mark had a small gas shock on his instead of the torsion springs...

I have a spare lid, and we were looking at it last night. I also have a spare screen I think I can make usable, although I found it folded in a box of parts I bought a few years ago. (Who DOES THAT???)

Is the standard way to do this just to cut the holes in the existing lid and add the screen? or am I missing something? confused24.gif

Unless someone close has one for sale cheap... not big on dealing with the cross border stuff if I can get away without it.
mlindner
Patrick, Eric Shea's post does a nice job of showing you how to build. Did mine a few months ago. Best, Markhttp://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=6167
PatrickB
Thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
jeff here builds them all of the time, an exact replica of the original 916 lid we havew here, you could call him and he will tell you what he does.

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Aug 9 2019, 02:56 AM) *

Had the first big road trip with my car after an engine conversion... and decided I need to go with a GT lid. I put the rad in the engine compartment and REALLY want to leave it there. I like having a usable frunk. Heat issues unless I was running with the lid open. Doing some air control measures in the engine compartment to see if it helps.
I should have taken a good look at Mark Henry's while I was at Mosport this weekend. I know Mark had a small gas shock on his instead of the torsion springs...

I have a spare lid, and we were looking at it last night. I also have a spare screen I think I can make usable, although I found it folded in a box of parts I bought a few years ago. (Who DOES THAT???)

Is the standard way to do this just to cut the holes in the existing lid and add the screen? or am I missing something? confused24.gif

Unless someone close has one for sale cheap... not big on dealing with the cross border stuff if I can get away without it.

Retroracer
Check out some options here: https://pbase.com/9146gt/gt_engine_lid_with_more_ventilation

The mesh material used on the factory GT ones was not the standard 'flat' steel you get on the road cars. I got creative with mine as I was not fond of the "all black/all mesh" look. I removed the diagonal strengthening beam (as the factory did) but I've seen others drill this out for added lightness.

Having folded your mesh in half, getting it back to a decent contour again might be more of a challenge than sourcing some fresh material....!

- Tony
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Aug 9 2019, 07:54 AM) *

Check out some options here: https://pbase.com/9146gt/gt_engine_lid_with_more_ventilation

The mesh material used on the factory GT ones was not the standard 'flat' steel you get on the road cars. I got creative with mine as I was not fond of the "all black/all mesh" look. I removed the diagonal strengthening beam (as the factory did) but I've seen others drill this out for added lightness.

Having folded your mesh in half, getting it back to a decent contour again might be more of a challenge than sourcing some fresh material....!

- Tony

Hey Tony- @Retroracer

Off topic...but I was thinking about you when I saw this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Wheels-Porsche...gMAAOSw249dAyEA

ravenna914.jpg

Oscar
Retroracer
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 9 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Hey Tony- @Retroracer

Off topic...but I was thinking about you when I saw this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Wheels-Porsche...gMAAOSw249dAyEA

ravenna914.jpg

Oscar

Oscar - Clearly I need more stripes and some shiny wheels!!

Also, here's a pic of my grill for posterity. After looking at how some high end modern cars were styled, I wanted to have the mix of the two mesh styles:

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I used two screens, I had to flatten one bend and snip, shape, weld the side bend to straighten it out, etc., then blast, cut openings, prep, paint, etc.
I'm happy with the result but it was a fair bit of work.

I used the shock because it's a lightweight with the stiffener bar cut out, it likely wouldn't lay flat with the stock springs and it would have popped open violently.
Retroracer
Interesting - I read elsewhere that lightened engine lids don't work with one spring removed. Luckily I read that after I tried it. smile.gif It works fine, provided you remove the correct spring; lays flat and can be adjusted with the twistable stops. I think the offset of the catch (not on the centerline) balances out the twisting forces.

FYI

- Tony
Maltese Falcon
Pretty sure the guy we puchased our GT grille from is Sergio, should be in the archives here. He offers ready made twin-grill, or send him your o/e donor engine lid (what we did).
PatrickB
Thanks guys, lots of good stuff here. Going to get to it but probably not for a few weeks,(maybe this winter?) busy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.