Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice 901 build, thought Id share
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Ive been a bit of a ghost as of late. Busy with life and all. Thought I would share this nice build with you all. I seldom get a case as clean as this! Vapor blasted and painted with I dont know what (came this way). This one has the fancy aluminum intermediate plate, fancy bearing retainer, will be getting an LSD which I am waiting for. This also arrived almost completely apart!
Click to view attachment

Fancy intermediate plate. This one is the nicest Ive worked with. The thing with the aluminum plates is there is always at least one dimension off. On this one, so far, the bore for the guide pins was too tight and needed address.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

All the parts went into the new ultrasonic cleaner. Before shot here, forgot after as I get them out and quickly dried them and put them away for the night as it was bed time.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Now for the bad.

Cleaned the pinion and found deterioration at the root. This is a ticking time bomb. No good, need to replace.
Click to view attachment

First gear showed same wear on small gear, oddly.
Click to view attachment

And lastly, for now, 1/R shift rod was savaged by someone. Gouged and not useable. I have spares.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
MartyYeoman
Hey Doc,
When are you going to do your next Trans Clinic near the SF Bay Area?
I'm sure I'm not the only waiting.
Larmo63
Oh god, I'm not worthy, that looks nice.

I hope when you see my project build you won't be discouraged.
Superhawk996
Love the post. I need to go through my trans before it goes back on the road. Will be watching this one closely!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(MartyYeoman @ Aug 9 2019, 09:49 PM) *

Hey Doc,
When are you going to do your next Trans Clinic near the SF Bay Area?
I'm sure I'm not the only waiting.

Not sure, man. Kinda playing local at the moment due to wanting family time. I’ll do some more in the future, tho. Need to get out that way and visit anyway.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 9 2019, 10:01 PM) *

Oh god, I'm not worthy, that looks nice.

I hope when you see my project build you won't be discouraged.

Brother, this one is not my usual. Don’t sweat it.wink.gif
Dr Evil
Some more details on this build. I always have some reservations when I get a transmission sent to me in parts, and that has been previously rebuilt. I noted on disassembly that the gears and spacers were not in correct place. I now know why. Come with me on a tour.....

This is the set of gears that came with the transmission I laid out all of them with their partner gears. You have a drive gear and a driven gear. They are a matched set and have to be changed together. However, I seemed to have acquired another 3rd gear for a set of 3!?
Click to view attachment

Ok, that makes 3rd gear set suspect. Like, how do I know which pair is a pair? Many of us have been to THOSE kinds of parties wink.gif

One way to tell is to look at the gear coloring. No kidding, many will age/corrode differently. Check out this group of most of the gears from this trans and you can see the blackened gear stands out from the non-blackened.
Click to view attachment

This can often help if you need so match gears in a pinch. However, I have trust issues and this transmission is not helping them. The gears with the orange arrows are darker and crusty compared to the rest of the gears. The problem? Well, one is a 4th gear, the other part of the 4th gear looks fine (and not its original match) and the other gear in question is the extra 3rd gear. WTF??!

So, in my opinion, I have at least two incorrectly matched sets, or one incorrectly matched set and one extra gear from somewhere.

The crappy looking gears are worn as well. Honestly, this is common of tail shifter transmissions and why I pay low prices for them as cores as I tend to have to toss most of the parts due to wear from neglect and age. Arrows annotated worn patterns on gear faces.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

These are examples of good gears from same trans.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

So, what I recommended was if we cannot verify that the gears are matches sets, we need to put matches sets in. Not to expensive for stock 914 gears. Fun fact, this is a 914 specific dilemma as the 911/912 gears are all hand numbered sets so you can check the numbers to verify.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.