Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6”Steel Wheels and hubcaps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80’s old school
So I am in the process of restomodding my 914.

I debated back and forth on wheels.

To me:

Fuchs (4) lug empi copies. (Too many folks doing it. I wanted something different)
Fuchs (5) lug with conversion. (Expensive. Too many folks doing it, etc.)
Panasports or Ultralight style. (I have had those previously on other sports cars, and frankly wanted something different)
Mahle, real Fuchs, etc.. ditto

Now I am not saying any of those are bad. I just want to be different.

I settled on Steel Wheels 6” with Chrome hubcaps with gold Porsche crest emblem.

At first I couldn’t make up my mind if I liked the look. Now it has grown on me and I like it.

Now to the part about backspacing.

These are the US wheel VW/Porsche steel wheel replicas in 6” wide.

They advertise them with 5 inch backspace. My calculations said this would be perfect and I “should” be able to easily get a 205 width tire under the rear. I settled on a 195 width tire and I am glad I did. The actual backspace is closer to 4”.

I like the deeper dish look, but you have to be real careful with fender rub.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
They look beautiful!

Offset is key as well. Offset is measured from the center of the rim to the mounting point. The 15x5.5 VW sport wheels that came on the type 1 and also available on the ‘74 and later 914s had different offsets

ET 26 on the Beetles and ET40 on the 914. The ET 40s would rub the front suspension on the Type 1s. Tricky business for sure.
Literati914
QUOTE(80’s old school @ Aug 9 2019, 08:19 PM) *

To me:

Fuchs (4) lug empi copies. (Too many folks doing it. I wanted something different)
Fuchs (5) lug with conversion. (Expensive. Too many folks doing it, etc.)
Panasports or Ultralight style. (I have had those previously on other sports cars, and frankly wanted something different)
Mahle, real Fuchs, etc.. ditto

agree.gif , It's interesting that with a 914 you have a choice of going all 'high tech' GT car with flares and wide wheels, big motor, etc (which if you use your imagination.. is kind of a-kin to Porsche's early race cars in style at least (907,908,910, etc).... or you can keep it narrow and throw some steel wheels on it and (if you use your imagination) is sort of rudimentary and early feeling, like a 356. Just the way I see it. The older I get the more I'm liking the narrow and steel better. Yours looks GREAT, good choice first.gif
wes
Looks great, I like that look.
80’s old school
Thanks guys. I appreciate the positive comments.

Also part of the charm/coolness factor I was going for is the “wolf in sheeps clothing” effect!

The suspension has been rebuilt with new bushings, springs, bilstein shocks, etc....but the crowning jewel is the Toyo R888R race tires!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Very cool. Looks Great !
sb914
Looks really good. Maybe lower the rear a little for a perfect stance.
Porschef
Looks great. beerchug.gif

195\65\15’s?
80’s old school
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 10 2019, 04:41 AM) *

Looks great. beerchug.gif

195\65\15’s?

They are 195/55/15

Click to view attachment
80’s old school
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 10 2019, 04:28 AM) *

Looks really good. Maybe lower the rear a little for a perfect stance.

I agree. I have the bilsteins on their lowest height setting.

With new shocks and new springs, I hop it settles down just a bit lower.
Craigers17
I like your wheel/tire combo too.....the deeper dish makes all the difference. That being said, I think if you're car had a little patina, it would look better without the wheel covers and caps. Nonetheless, it looks great!
Cairo94507
Great look- nice and clean. Very purposeful. Those are some serious tires for the street; are they noisy? Do they throw up a bunch of debris from the road? They look nice and sticky. beerchug.gif
80’s old school
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 11 2019, 06:29 AM) *

Great look- nice and clean. Very purposeful. Those are some serious tires for the street; are they noisy? Do they throw up a bunch of debris from the road? They look nice and sticky. beerchug.gif

So far they have been good about not throwing things up off the street.

However, at low speeds they are a little noisy. Not too bad, but noisy enough to know it is from the tires. At highway speeds they are fine.

Since I live in SoCal, I built the car for canyon carving. So far I have taken it up the mountain a few times. It handles very good. Could use more power. Right now it has a little 1911 with dual Webers and MSDS header. More power will come in the future.
Maltese Falcon
I dig the deep dish wheels like Chicago pizza , and the fat tires gotta be Arbys with the meats... all on a narrow body biggrin.gif
orthobiz
Steelies rule!

Paul
80’s old school
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind remarks.

The Steelies are really growing on me! When I reaseaching going this direction, I googled “steel wheels, Porsche hubcaps, 914”. Never found a picture to give me an idea.

I finally decided “screw it”! It will look cool!

Guess my decision was Good.
mark04usa
Beautiful car, and I love the steelies, too! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.