Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally took the plunge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frostyf
Newbie owner from Virginia Beach -
I've been stalking the classifieds "rollers and cars" thread for some years (possibly 5)not only burning the midnight oil but annoying the hell out of my wife and daughters.

Being a Brit, viewing cars from their ads and thinking of sending cash on spec is risky, as well as the additional cost of shipping to factor in. Having been moved to VA with work for a few years, it seemed the perfect opportunity to finally take the plunge and buy my first 914.

I spotted the car in question on the facebook marketplace and also on the Samba classifieds. Having made an enquiry I felt fortunate that the first person I've called is John Forbes at Black Forest Racing in N Carolina. He was advertising a 73 number matching 2.0litre and whilst she's a project, some of the key areas appear relatively solid. A trip out to Denver NC not only resulted in a sale for John but gave me a tour of his garage and some of the cars he is working on. Lot of racing history and experience residing in that shop and it was absolutely fantastic to get a tour around and get John's take on what needed doing to the car.

Despite sounding the dream project, there is definitely a fair bit needs doing before this car becomes a regular driver. Given my own extremely limited experience with a mig welder, I felt it better to pay John to tackle some of the inevitable rusty body areas that need tackling. Firstly I know he's got a good fabricator and I simply don't know who is good to approach or use in the VB area. John is also sorting out some other work on the engine and brakes to get her driveable so I can drive her home before too long. The alternative will be hiring a trailer and bribing one of my friends to make the trip with me to collect the car which will be a bit of a trek.

Provided the engine works out as sound as she appeared (runs well with original fuel injection), and I can get the bodywork issues addressed, I'm hoping once home I can use her sorted for daily commuting and some weekend cruising. John and Donna mentioned Okteenerfest, but I think I'm away on a temporary duty trip that period so can't make this year. I reckon checking through the electrics and then starting on some of the perished seals will be the primary work. Perhaps in time I can look at the interior (dash is shot and the seats need some TLC) and then the paint which has crazed and cracked. She looks like originally she was a sepia brown (from the hinges and door pillars) but I have to say my favourite colours are Olympic Blue or the Ravenna Green. That's a ways off and I'll have to see how the budget goes, but I'll try and keep posting updates as I get my hands on her.

First Photos : taken from John's Add
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
wndsrfr
welcome.png Great news to see another teener owner in the "Tidewater" area.....a couple of us are in Smithfield, not far inland from you. We'll be watching for your posts as work progresses. Don't be shy about asking for help or any of the odd bits as they come up.....
Gatornapper
Yes, Frosty - WELCOME! welcome.png

I came here almost 2 years ago and just got my 914 on the road after it was abandoned in a (new) barn 14 years ago.

Everything I couldn't figure out myself (almost 60 years of working on cars), couldn't find by reading on web, YouTube or books, has been answered very graciously by the family here.

I'm a miserable 2+ hours west of you (but was in Hampton Roads yesterday on a Harley) but after you get your car, let's try to get together.

I do own a nice car trailer that you would be welcome to use for free - but as I'm so far from you, I guess that just wouldn't be practical.

Will be watching your progress with interest......

GN
"Newbie from Virginia" almost 2 years ago.....
aharder
welcome.png
Dion
welcome.png Good luck with all. Plenty of support here as previously mentioned.
Definitely come up to PA for the Hershey & Ski Roundtop events. beerchug.gif

Cheers, Dion
Big Len
"Taking the plunge" sums it up.....Nah, you'll be fine. Best of luck.
horizontally-opposed
welcome.png

No question, you've come to the right place. You'll get plenty of advice, all of it free and some of it good. Ah, and don't mind Larmo. biggrin.gif
Larmo63
welcome.png

I wish you nothing but good luck on your new addiction.
Mikey914
Congrats,
It looks like a project, but looks like a good candidateyouve selected. Olympic Blue is a nice color. John is a great candidate to do the work, may be a drive, but It will be done right.

Your in the right place, many knowledgeable and helpful folks here. welcome.png
anderssj
Hi Frosty,

welcome.png

I'm about an hour west of you (Smithfield), and willing to watch/talk/help/etc. when I can.

You're in a good place here!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hello Frosty. I think you landed a great car and with it coming from John at BFR, you are in good hands. Enjoy the addiction and have fun. Congratulations. beerchug.gif
iankarr
Congrats and welcome.png

John is working on my bumblebee. Did you see it? Great guy who loves these cars...
76-914
welcome.png Welcome to the madness. beerchug.gif
Matty900
welcome.png
Welcome to the party. beerchug.gif
frostyf
Just a big hello to all and thank you for the welcome. I did see the bumble bee in John's shop which looked great - the engine was out being worked on. It was fantastic seeing John and his sons race trophies and the famous car he competed in. It was also an alladins cave of fantastic cars and engines. Mine is definitely a project and whilst nervous about the bondo that may appear in her there's no end of useful threads with pics on this site. I've actually been a member here stalking the classifieds and dreaming for some years - pleased to finally be an owner as its now time to stop dreaming and to get some grafting done - might have to tackle that lack of welding skills!
Tdskip
Welcome, don't be shy with questions and help needed.
frostyf
QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 12 2019, 01:03 PM) *

Hi Frosty,

welcome.png

I'm about an hour west of you (Smithfield), and willing to watch/talk/help/etc. when I can.

You're in a good place here!

Steve, thanks for the welcome - great to know there's someone to ask when I get stuck! Cheers Nick Foster
frostyf
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 12 2019, 06:50 AM) *

Congrats,
It looks like a project, but looks like a good candidateyouve selected. Olympic Blue is a nice color. John is a great candidate to do the work, may be a drive, but It will be done right.

Your in the right place, many knowledgeable and helpful folks here. welcome.png

Mike hello and thank you, I feel particularly lucky to have called John as my first enquiry - he has a real wealth of experience!
frostyf
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 12 2019, 06:37 PM) *

Welcome, don't be shy with questions and help needed.

Overwhelmed with the welcome great to finally own one - just wish I could make Okteenerfest but that'll have to be for another year! sunglasses.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(frostyf @ Aug 12 2019, 01:44 PM) *
Overwhelmed with the welcome great to finally own one - just wish I could make Okteenerfest but that'll have to be for another year! sunglasses.gif

No need to actually have a 914 at the event. You should plan on attending anyway. You will meet other 914 owners from around the US and experience the awesomeness of seeing ~70 914s in one location. The multitude of colors is a sight to behold wub.gif

Plus, with all the goodies donated by some of the greatest 914 vendors out there, you may go home with something to help in your restoration.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.