Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Pad help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

I am having a heck of a time connecting my horn pad to the steering wheel without mangling the horn wire. I have removed and installed the horn pad many times without issue, except where the wire was actually broken. I purchased a kit with new wire and male input, yet I am struggling getting it connect. Bent the make end a couple of times and the female and as well. I don't want to mangle the two new pieces. The circle portion is a break in the piece, which I am not sure if that plays a critical role in any of this process.
Any tricks, advice or guidance is much appreciated.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
The tab on the horn pad should be at a 45 degree angle to accept the black wire.
Wew
Hi Mike,

It was at a 45 until I mangled it trying to get it on. It has since been moved back to that angle. Thank you.
Trying to avoid a repeat performance.
I swear this car is harder to work on than my 911.
I notice one section of the silver dish it is flat, so I am thinking that should be installed in relation to where the wire comes out to minimize friction on the line.
I do have the rubber bell shaped piece that fits nicely where it should.
76-914
Rotate your wheel 180 degrees then try it. If the male spade breaks off you can take a pair of snips, cut a new tab into the ring and bend it up. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the wire should NOT come through the final hole in the steering wheel but rather bypass it
Wew
Thanks for the input. Will remove from the hole and now I know the trick if I break the tab. Great input.
Thank you!!
Olympic 914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 12 2019, 05:15 PM) *

the wire should NOT come through the final hole in the steering wheel but rather bypass it

I had a different experience working on a friends 914. His horn kept blowing after changing out the steering wheel. and he kept pinching the wire when reinstalling the horn pad. when we routed the wire through the hole it was easier to install and didn't pinch the wire.

The horn blowing issue was, someone had bent the ring on the steering wheel and we had to straighten that out.

After messing with his for a while I didn't want to open mine up to see how it was routed since it works however it is right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.