Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rod Orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
Thanks to a suggestion from Shane I have been running through my plans for assembly and was thinking about the orientation of the rods. The rods have some cryptic instructions that I took to mean to install the oil hole on the top of the rod facing towards the top of engine. Which is how I had installed them in the past builds.

Not my picture but this is how I installed the rods.
Click to view attachment

To me this makes sense as the oil coming out would run down on parts. The other way would potentially leave the top dry.

Because the guidance provided with the rods was not very clear I thought I would ask since I have the chance to change.
Mark Henry
They're not directional, it doesn't matter.
If you don't want to freak out the next engine builder install them tangs down. wink.gif

Some rods like VW T1 stock rods are directional because they have an offset. Easy to check put a straight edge across the big end, check both sides, if they have an offset you'll see it in relation to the small end.
Mblizzard
Tangs down means bearing tangs?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 13 2019, 05:56 PM) *

Tangs down means bearing tangs?

Yes, but like I said it doesn't matter.
Info straight from Carrillo and Charles has said the same on the web.
malcolm2
Mike, you driving this engine to Okteenerfest?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 13 2019, 04:01 PM) *

If you don't want to freak out the next engine builder install them tangs down. wink.gif

Some rods like VW T1 stock rods are directional because they have an offset. Easy to check put a straight edge across the big end, check both sides, if they have an offset you'll see it in relation to the small end.

agree.gif If you really want to freak out the next builder, mix it up.....some tangs up, some tangs down. happy11.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 13 2019, 04:38 PM) *

I hope so. Had many issues with the case but I hope I am back on track.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 13 2019, 09:39 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 13 2019, 04:38 PM) *

I hope so. Had many issues with the case but I hope I am back on track.

I saw. Sorry bout your troubles. I know you will work it out.

See you in a few weeks.
Larmo63
Wow, great to see you making some quick progress.

There are a lot of us here rooting for you!!!! driving-girl.gif driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 14 2019, 03:41 PM) *

Wow, great to see you making some quick progress.

There are a lot of us here rooting for you!!!! driving-girl.gif driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Yep ,me included no one should have this amount of s#it,go well Mike.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 13 2019, 05:33 PM) *

agree.gif If you really want to freak out the next builder, mix it up.....some tangs up, some tangs down. happy11.gif

You are a trouble maker!
Mark Henry
I installed a set of carrillo rods in a 996 and realized I did one side tangs up and the other down. I was sure it didn't matter, but I called Carrillo just to be 100% absolutely sure.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 15 2019, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 13 2019, 05:33 PM) *

You are a trouble maker!

But of course I am... It is so much FUN!!!

Guess who I learned that from? ...cough Betty cough.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.