Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marketing in the garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I appreciate vendors sharing. But it feels like some vendors are getting away with using the garage as a marketing space. It stinks and the stench is attached firmly. Great for them, but not right.
Andyrew
My understanding was that group buys and new product introductions were OK in the garage. Sales and such were not.

Im probably wrong though...
Rand
You are 100% right
wes
I personally like it as I believe often group buys that wouldn’t exist if people didn’t see and participate.
Rand
QUOTE(wes @ Aug 14 2019, 10:29 AM) *

I personally like it as I believe often group buys that wouldn’t exist if people didn’t see and participate.

I'm not talking about group buys. I mean those who just put their products out. Ignore rules, leverage the exposure, not cool. There is another forum to sell your wares. Stop it in the garage.

914_teener
Not sure if this is on topic but on the thread about the MC light flashing something weird happened.

Guy posts about his emergency light flashing.

I posted about switched grounds, stuck switch, door switches on circuit ect.

Original post is edited to include that the MC is leaking fluid.....I assume that the OP edited it.

Then when I checked the post.....somebody....not me....edited my post to indicate that the MC needed to be replaced. Looking at the picture it might have need to be replaced due to the condition but since the OP didn't state it was leaking or that his brakes didn't work. I assumed otherwise.

Later in the thread, guy sells a MC switch to the OP

I'm not into conspiracy theories here but I know what I posted.

I appreciate the fixing of a probable concern but any guidance here and by myself is as good as the question asked.
rhodyguy
The contact for the MC should have been via PM.
914_teener
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 14 2019, 11:41 AM) *

The contact for the MC should have been via PM.

And if an admin edited my post, they should say so.

I agree...should be a PM but not my call.
rhodyguy
Agreed.
burton73
confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif

Bob B
JeffBowlsby
I consider myself firstly a dedicated 914 owner and secondly a vendor. My regular participation here is based on an innate respect and passion for the 914, not to make a living and I think people that know me recognize that intuitively.

Vendors should not feel the need to be overtly hawking their wares in the Garage forum because it detracts from the spirit and purpose of the Garage space. Chasing every nickel and dime part sale can be perceived as greedy. In my view it sends the wrong message, is not welcome by many and that's in part why I do not do it. If someone needs something for their 914 there are banner ads, vendor and classifieds pages for that purpose. The Garage is for the sharing/exchange of information, not for sales.

914world folks know of my reputation as a source for high quality wiring harnesses at reasonable prices and I am regularly contacted directly or through my website when in need. Being discrete is more respectful and seems to work well for everyone. I know I am not the only vendor here with this perspective.
914_teener
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 14 2019, 12:46 PM) *

I consider myself firstly a dedicated 914 owner and secondly a vendor. My regular participation here is based on an innate respect and passion for the 914, not to make a living and I think people that know me recognize that intuitively.

Vendors should not feel the need to be overtly hawking their wares in the Garage forum because it detracts from the spirit and purpose of the Garage space. Chasing every nickel and dime part sale can be perceived as greedy. In my view it sends the wrong message, is not welcome by many and that's in part why I do not do it. If someone needs something for their 914 there are banner ads, vendor and classifieds pages for that purpose. The Garage is for the sharing/exchange of information, not for sales.

914world folks know of my reputation as a source for high quality wiring harnesses at reasonable prices and I am regularly contacted directly or through my website when in need. Being discrete is more respectful and seems to work well for everyone. I know I am not the only vendor here with this perspective.

I talking about shaping a post or editing it for one's benefit. Your reputation is solid Jeff.

You are discrete and for the benefit of the Community at large, and you have your own website. This place isn't the shitstorm that Rennlist is, and I appreciate that.

I have no issue with any vendor here....but editing a post without notice via PM?
Rand
Simple: If your vendor post is putting it forward, keep it in the vendor forum. Is that hard to understand? Don't sell me shit in the garage. Period.
I know it's a great platform. Stop it. It is unethical.
Larmo63
agree.gif

I've pointed this out a few times and people probably just think I'm being a dick.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 14 2019, 11:38 AM) *
Not sure if this is on topic but on the thread about the MC light flashing something weird happened.

Original post is edited to include that the MC is leaking fluid.....I assume that the OP edited it.

Then when I checked the post.....somebody....not me....edited my post to indicate that the MC needed to be replaced. Looking at the picture it might have need to be replaced due to the condition but since the OP didn't state it was leaking or that his brakes didn't work. I assumed otherwise.

I appreciate the fixing of a probable concern but any guidance here and by myself is as good as the question asked.

@914_teener
Not sure where you are going with this, please help me out here.

Are you trying to say that an admin edited your post to allow another member to sell their used switch?
confused24.gif

Mblizzard
Yes there are some abuses but all of us need to remember that without these vendors many of us would be massively screwed.

We get more good than bad from these vendors and until there is a better market I am will to work with most of the vendors that actually support the 914.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 14 2019, 06:33 PM) *

@914_teener

Are you trying to say that an admin edited your post to allow another member to sell their used switch?
confused24.gif

Your original post was made:
Monday, January 28, 2019 7:47:02 PM UTC

You edited your original post about 6 minutes later:
Monday, January 28, 2019 7:53:32 PM UTC

Then you come back 6 months later (!) and accuse an Admin to have edited your post because you "don't remember" posting it?
shades.gif

rhodyguy
I'm lost. dry.gif did everybody get their parts in good condition? IBTL?

Replying to the announcements only keeps the thread at the top of the front page. It would have to be 'found' if you let it go. But if you reply to it....
sb914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 14 2019, 04:10 PM) *

agree.gif

I've pointed this out a few times and people probably just him I'm being a dick.

Yep you’re a dick ! poke.gif
Mark Henry
I don't have an issue with a post introducing a new product or gauging interest, especially if it's from a contributing member, but after that it should link to a vendors section thread.
Group buys and threads of interest with the membership aside, self promoting bumps are in poor taste. Once a Garage post has run it's course it belongs in the vendors section.

IMHO
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 15 2019, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 14 2019, 04:10 PM) *

agree.gif

I've pointed this out a few times and people probably just him I'm being a dick.

Yep you’re a dick ! poke.gif

Yes, I think we can all agree Lawrence, being a founding F Gruppe member is a big dick. evilgrin.gif
Mikey914
Think of it this way. We do group buys and offer special pricing for World members specifically. Think of it as paying for advertising directly to the customer. As you might have noticed we are not running anywhere hear the GBs we were. this is because we are paying for advertising in other places.

I personally prefer to give you guys the best prices on parts. biggrin.gif
pploco
I don't get too bent out of shape if a vendor posts in the garage. But I'm also aware that THIS SITE IS FREE. Someone has to keep the lights on, moderate, pay for the site. etc. So if I have to sift through a bit of advertisement and new product ju-ju, I don't have a lot of heartburn about it.

Now if I were paying a subscription here, it would be a completely different story.
Mikey914
It's actually Andy that we all have to thank here.

We all have opinions, but it's his sandbox. I just try not to be the cat that takes a dump in it.

Thanks again Andy, world is a very unique place and has helped many people, and yes businesses.
pploco
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 15 2019, 08:49 AM) *

We all have opinions, but it's his sandbox. I just try not to be the cat that takes a dump in it.

Thanks again Andy, world is a very unique place and has helped many people, and yes businesses.

agree.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(pploco @ Aug 15 2019, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 15 2019, 08:49 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif but he refuses to take credit.

Modest bastage!!! andy914.jpg

laugh.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 15 2019, 07:33 AM) *

Think of it this way. We do group buys and offer special pricing for World members specifically. Think of it as paying for advertising directly to the customer. As you might have noticed we are not running anywhere hear the GBs we were. this is because we are paying for advertising in other places.

I'd bet a Nickle to a Donut that you are not the source of irritation here, Mark. shades.gif Your posts are to alert members to a new product; not one that is "back in stock". Or a group buy promotion. Your posts are tasteful and then they disappear. Any self promoting you've done is via your being "A Good Guy" not a PT Barnum blow hard type. And I agree with others in recognizing Sir Andy. Your the best Bud. beerchug.gif
Rand
Mark is good. Never a thought.
Rand
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 15 2019, 06:49 AM) *

Just keep your warez in the other forum.
rhodyguy
Well, who could the culprit possibly be? The Shadow knows. BTTT! Perfect. As I predicted. wink.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 15 2019, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 15 2019, 07:33 AM) *

I'd bet a Nickle to a Donut that you are not the source of irritation here, Mark. shades.gif Your posts are to alert members to a new product; not one that is "back in stock". Or a group buy promotion. Your posts are tasteful and then they disappear. Any self promoting you've done is via your being "A Good Guy" not a PT Barnum blow hard type. And I agree with others in recognizing Sir Andy. Your the best Bud. beerchug.gif

To be fair 914 Rubber posts drop from sight sooner than the "other guy" because there is not a small group of usual suspects posting complaints on all of Mark's posts.
914_teener

@914_teener

confused24.gif

No. I am not saying an admin edited it. I am saying I did NOT edit it.

And the use of YOU is accusatory.

This has happened to me once before in the 123 Group buy thread that I ran a while back. That is my reference. It turned out that McMark edited it for me because part of what I posted was in fact incorrect. He was nice enough to PM me and explain it.

Never accused anyone, just saying it happened.
914_teener
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 14 2019, 06:51 PM) *

@914_teener

confused24.gif

Your original post was made:
Monday, January 28, 2019 7:47:02 PM UTC

You edited your original post about 6 minutes later:
Monday, January 28, 2019 7:53:32 PM UTC

Then you come back 6 months later (!) and accuse an Admin to have edited your post because you "don't remember" posting it?
shades.gif

It is your show Andy. Not making it personnel I'm just saying I didn't edit it. Trying to help.

I'll assume you meant to say 6 minutes and not 6 months.

Quess I'm done. Sorry to make a fuss.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 15 2019, 11:00 AM) *
It is your show Andy. Not making it personnel I'm just saying I didn't edit it. Trying to help.

@914_teener

I meant 6 months just like i said.
Look at the dates, your post in question is from January.

We now have August.
confused24.gif

worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 15 2019, 11:13 AM) *

We now have August.
confused24.gif

Which is a good time for many of us to drive their 914s. Unfortunately both of mine have pulled up lame. Have to drive the TR6, which almost always works.

Thanks for being patient with us all Andy!
Carl La Fong
OMG!! Who has been doing this? The rules MUST be followed. Who ever this is must be banned. He should be forced to change his user name to get back on this forum or offer the admin. a personal apology by email. This rampant flaunting of the rules must stop immediately.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Aug 15 2019, 12:32 PM) *

OMG!! Who has been doing this? The rules MUST be followed. Who ever this is must be banned. He should be forced to change his user name to get back on this forum or offer the admin. a personal apology by email. This rampant flaunting of the rules must stop immediately.

Or what?......flogging, bloodletting, rack stretching? Maybe facing a tribunal of asshats would cure the scourge.
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 15 2019, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 15 2019, 11:00 AM) *

@914_teener

I meant 6 months just like i said.
Look at the dates, your post in question is from January.

We now have August.
confused24.gif

Go easy on him Andy. He's lost his mind. It became clearly evident when he sold his 914. av-943.gif
mb911
Gosh I am sorry if it's me?? No ill will.
Literati914
God, I almost wish I knew what ya'll are on about.
rhodyguy
agree.gif Carl. 100%. Almost.
rgalla9146

What a polite group.
A saint who's name can not be said.
The perpetrator responds to so many topics.....but not this.

914werke
idea.gif
PanelBilly
Just as long as we don’t let time share vendors advertise.
bobboinski
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 16 2019, 06:12 PM) *

Just as long as we don’t let time share vendors advertise.

What about Porsche time shares?
av-943.gif
rhodyguy
Free the robots.
porschetub
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 17 2019, 12:02 AM) *

What a polite group.
A saint who's name can not be said.
The perpetrator responds to so many topics.....but not this.

agree.gif totally stirthepot.gif and then runs away or back-peddles as normal, usually entertaining then sometimes really a PITA, however we are all allowed to have opinions and have our say on here.
Back to normal viewing,this one has drifted off in a strange way afterall, venders in this section aren't an issue as they offer great NLA products and upgrade parts developed and made by them and at no small cost,most also offer input to threads non-related to what they sell.
It has no ill effect on a really great forum...rant over beerchug.gif

rhodyguy
And yet, it continues. Unabated.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 17 2019, 12:42 PM) *

And yet, it continues. Unabated.

Maybe we could get a Shameless Huckster forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.