Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear caliper parts availability.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
My left hand rear caliper isn't in great shape. The inner adjuster is stripped and the ebrake lever will not move. Being in the UK I'm limited with rebuild options and am considering replacing the caliper with a Dansk one as they're readily availalbe and not that much more than a rebuild.

However I'd like to have a go and repair mine, but before I pull it apart what are my options for parts?

I see AA has the adjusters, but as the ebrake lever won't move there's probably more going on here than just the adjuster.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tbrown4x4
I just rebuilt my rear calipers and got a lot of small parts from PMB Performance. They have a lot of things you might need that aren't on the website.

Rear caliper rebuild is not for the faint of heart, but if you're mechanically inclined, it's not too difficult. Watch his video about caliper rebuilds and decide if you can manage it.

Tear it down to see what you need before you call him.
IPB Image

I never realized how bad my brakes were before I rebuilt them. Best money I ever spent.

PS: I also bought the rebuild kits and pads from PMB
Mark Henry
PMB sells parts, IIRC he has a rebuild vid. Eric also does a real good job rebuilding them.
Best to call or email, they don't list everything on the site.
defianty
Thanks guys, I watched PMB's rebuild video and headed out to the garage this morning and stripped the caliper down. The outer adjuster gear is completely stripped and the inner adjuster is locked, probably with the teeth from the outer adjuster gear. It also looks like a tooth or two is missing. I'm yet to be able to get it out as it's completely jammed. mad.gif
JFG
http://www.superformance.co.uk/246/brakes.html

The threads on my adjuster and piston insert were just salvageable, i had an old school engineer recut them. They are a machine thread, i looked for a while for a tap & die but nothing i could find matched.
defianty
QUOTE(JFG @ Aug 15 2019, 01:05 PM) *

The threads on my adjuster and piston insert were just salvageable, i had an old school engineer recut them. They are a machine thread, i looked for a while for a tap & die but nothing i could find matched.

Thanks for the link, I don't see exactly what I need there but it gives me hope.

I got it fully stripped down now and you can clearly see the problem.

IPB Image

Now to find replacement parts. I've just sent an email to PMB performance, but with the exchange rate as it is right now I fear with shipping the parts will add up to what I can get a reconditioned caliper over here for.
Tbrown4x4
He has those
defianty
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 15 2019, 02:02 PM) *

He has those

Great thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we make the outer adjuster in the two sizes and the inner adjustment gear. We are now making the inner large and small adjuster but currently do not yet have our supply
mepstein
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 15 2019, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(JFG @ Aug 15 2019, 01:05 PM) *

Thanks for the link, I don't see exactly what I need there but it gives me hope.

I got it fully stripped down now and you can clearly see the problem.

IPB Image

Now to find replacement parts. I've just sent an email to PMB performance, but with the exchange rate as it is right now I fear with shipping the parts will add up to what I can get a reconditioned caliper over here for.

The thing is, unless you get the calipers done by PMB or do them yourself, "reconditioned" is a gamble. We've open up some reconditioned calipers and been disappointed. They look like they were blasted, sprayed clear, new seals and nothing else.
defianty
It's a valid point Mark.

Here's what I'm looking at for a possible replacement. They're Dansk ones, has anyone tried these?

IPB Image
JFG
try these guys

http://www.pastparts.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

I've seen the threaded parts you need somewhere, found them when i was refurbing mine, but i can't remember where i saw them. I am currently searching to try and find them.
JFG
double check the 2 listed without images

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Porsche/914/7...eel%20Cylinders
JFG
go to the superperformance link above and scroll down to handbrake parts
Larmo63
I would ONLY deal with Eric at PMB on brakes.

Trust me.
bbrock
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 15 2019, 08:40 PM) *

Trust me.

agree.gif I can't thank him enough for all his help for me rebuilding my brakes. Your car deserves to have the best. Sounds like you just need a few bits to make them whole anyway.
defianty
QUOTE(JFG @ Aug 15 2019, 08:51 PM) *

try these guys

http://www.pastparts.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

I've seen the threaded parts you need somewhere, found them when i was refurbing mine, but i can't remember where i saw them. I am currently searching to try and find them.
QUOTE(JFG @ Aug 15 2019, 09:11 PM) *
QUOTE(JFG @ Aug 15 2019, 09:16 PM) *

go to the superperformance link above and scroll down to handbrake parts

Thanks for these I'll chase them up.
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 16 2019, 05:11 AM) *

Trust me.

agree.gif I can't thank him enough for all his help for me rebuilding my brakes. Your car deserves to have the best. Sounds like you just need a few bits to make them whole anyway.

Thanks Guys. I have to admit Brent, I'd really like to get this fixed as cheap as I can. The reason I hadn't had them refurbed is I want to do a full Boxter caliper upgrade next year. So I'd like to save the money for that. However having them fully operational now is obviously imperative.
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 16 2019, 01:22 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 16 2019, 05:11 AM) *

Trust me.

Thanks Guys. I have to admit Brent, I'd really like to get this fixed as cheap as I can. The reason I hadn't had them refurbed is I want to do a full Boxter caliper upgrade next year. So I'd like to save the money for that. However having them fully operational now is obviously imperative.

I should have known you would one-up me with your fancy Boxster brakes poke.gif biggrin.gif

Still seems like the cheapest route to functioning brakes would be to get replacement gears, rebuild kits, and whatever else you need from Eric and follow his instructions to rebuild them yourself. Following his excellent how-to video, it is quite easy and kind of fun. Reminded me of building plastic models as a kid. Since you plan to replace them soon, I'd say plating could be optional. Obviously plated and rebuilt calipers would have better resale value. Also, you only need one inner adjuster gear as you can move them side to side to adjust the vent clearance. You could save a few bucks by only having one good one. Eric talks about that in the vid I think. If not, it's on his written how-to posted on his web page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.