Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Classic Technical Certificate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Who knows anything about these?

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/flash/cla...certificate/en/
bretth
Interesting. Maybe this will be a replacement for the awful quality of Certificates that they have been putting out lately? Seems like I keep hearing how the information in the current COAs is inaccurate.
Dion
agree.gif Looks like a UK type document/ad. Aren’t their Centres called “Classic”.
Or do we have them here now? I know their offering more
classic parts.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Jeff that is when you take your Porsche to a Porsche classic dealer (our Hennessy is one for example) and get the car inspected. It will cost 500 dollars and they will give you their idea of how the car compares to what it should be and then issue you the certificate.

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 15 2019, 11:29 AM) *

SirAndy
Last i checked they refused to give me one for my /6 because i could not provide my engine number (the engine is long gone, no record of it)

So i told them to stuff it ...
slap.gif

EDIT: Whoops, mistook this for the new "certificate" they are trying to hawk off

914Sixer
Looks like an excuse to drum up business for the "Classic Center" to restore your Porsche to factory spec's.
JeffBowlsby
Looks like it could be a windfall not only for them, but also for a seller and buyer because they are documenting functional conditions, in additional to providing serial numbers/factory optional equip info from their database.

For $500 you get the factory documentation (a COA) and a PPI of your specific vehicle all in one. PPI's can easily cost $500 - this could be a bargain.
sixnotfour
Seinfeld could use a few...
Superhawk996
av-943.gif
StarBear
Dubious, IMHO. Got the Performance Certificate a few months ago; $150, I think. No transmission number (said they didn't have a record) and dubious paint code (M21 for Zambezi Green, L64K is the VW code). As the original owner, I knew everything they provided and correct info for some of it.
This new Certificate says it gives transmission code and delivery point; no other difference other than a) higher cost b) gives them a chance to inspect and document vehicle needs, eg repair/replacement work.
Agree with Jeff that it "could" be worth it, but I'll pass.
JFJ914
From our Peachstate PCA Tech Session at Hennessy Porsche 9/7/2019

The COA is dead, it has been replaced by the new "PORSCHE CLASSIC TECHNICAL CERTIFICATE".

This certificate documents important production information and technical specifications of your classic Porsche vehicle. Your Porsche Classic Technical Certificate includes original vehicle data at the time it was delivered, such as date of production, the exterior and interior color and material, and optional equipment. The certificate documents the engine and transmission numbers and types that are currently in the vehicle plus a verification of a match to original records (IT ONLY VERIFIES THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION NUMBERS IN THE CAR AT THE TIME OF INSPECTION. ORIGINALITY IS A CHECKMARK YES/NO ONLY BECAUSE OF PRIVACY CONCERNS AND COUNTERFITTING POTENTIAL. PORSCHE WILL NOT TELL YOU WHAT NUMBERS LEFT THE FACTORY) . Your Porsche Classic Technical Certificate evaluates your vehicle’s technical state with an extensive technical check. The evaluation includes inspection results for the exterior, interior, drive system, underbody and suspension. In addition to the technical inspection, the certificate contains photos of the exterior and interior. A detailed summary of your Porsche vehicle’s inspection from the Porsche Classic-trained technician is also included in this document.

Is this worth $500.00? I think not for the average 914, but is it worth it for an original -6.
914werke
So, they are doing away with the verification aspect replacing it with an assessment more than doubling the price of the document result and as an added benefit you have to travel to one of a handful of dealers that are setup/authorized to perform ...
?
SirAndy
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 31 2019, 08:07 AM) *
So, they are doing away with the verification aspect replacing it with an assessment more than doubling the price of the document result and as an added benefit you have to travel to one of a handful of dealers that are setup/authorized to perform ...
?

Plus now you have to provide all the info and they will only tell you if you got it right or not ...
headbang.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes yes yes, AND they have PUNKS inspecting the cars who were not born when the cars were last made NOR know anything about them!!!

QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 31 2019, 08:07 AM) *

?

Unobtanium-inc
Most of the Porsche dealers are converting to "Classic Centers" and will now try and get all the old air cooled service business, so the new inspection is a part of that. You bring your car in, get it inspected, they make a long list and then you leave them a blank check to make your car 100%, trusting that the guys in the back of the Porsche dealer know what they are doing in working on an old car.
mepstein
I've talked to a lot of first rate 911 techs who know very little about 914's. I wonder how the shops maintain a production line of repairs when so many 914 parts have to come from multiple vendors or purchased used. - Not to mention metal work.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2019, 12:41 PM) *

I've talked to a lot of first rate 911 techs who know very little about 914's. I wonder how the shops maintain a production line of repairs when so many 914 parts have to come from multiple vendors or purchased used. - Not to mention metal work.

agree.gif

Most of the techs at the dealer don't have the first idea on how to actually troubleshoot a problem. They plug in the computer, and it tells them what is wrong, and what to replace. The dealer in Fort Worth actually called me about an 1973 911E with MFI because their techs were completely baffled by it. Seems one of the sales people is in the local PCA region, and he knew I was capable of diagnosing it. They didn't like my consulting rates (which were the same as their labor rate), so I don't know what happened to it.

To be fair, I don't work on anything later than a 993. I don't know the systems and I don't have the equipment like the dealer.

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2019, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2019, 12:41 PM) *

agree.gif

Most of the techs at the dealer don't have the first idea on how to actually troubleshoot a problem. They plug in the computer, and it tells them what is wrong, and what to replace. The dealer in Fort Worth actually called me about an 1973 911E with MFI because their techs were completely baffled by it. Seems one of the sales people is in the local PCA region, and he knew I was capable of diagnosing it. They didn't like my consulting rates (which were the same as their labor rate), so I don't know what happened to it.

To be fair, I don't work on anything later than a 993. I don't know the systems and I don't have the equipment like the dealer.

I was talking to a tech who is very good with aircooled 911's and 356's but when he told me the 914-6 conversion sitting in the shop needed the rear wheels aligned, I looked under the car and the right rear suspension console was failing. He was just not used to seeing a problem that all east coast 914 guys are familiar with.
At the shop I used to work, they rarely worked on 914's because they knew the owners weren't going to put $20-30K into metal work and paint when they purchased the "good running, low rust" car for $8K. They couldn't do some of the work but leave other work undone that still left the car unsafe to drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.