Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vellios Oil Tank Baffles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
So I have been concerned lately if my Vellios oil tank has internal baffling as some of the early ones do not. I have never noticed any oil pressure issues on the track and also when I removed the oil filler neck I saw a glimpse of horizontal baffle near the top. Does anyone know for sure a way to tell if I have the internal baffles? I would note I don't hard core track race... so if I didn't have baffles I might have noticed yet?

I acquired the tank almost 20 years ago at a parts heaven swap meet, so my first thought was it was probably for sale in the first place because it didn't have baffles, but I am not sure. My engine was recently completely rebuilt with some precious parts I'd hate to ruin it...
mb911
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 15 2019, 03:33 PM) *

So I have been concerned lately if my Vellios oil tank has internal baffling as some of the early ones do not. I have never noticed any oil pressure issues on the track and also when I removed the oil filler neck I saw a glimpse of horizontal baffle near the top. Does anyone know for sure a way to tell if I have the internal baffles? I would note I don't hard core track race... so if I didn't have baffles I might have noticed yet?

I acquired the tank almost 20 years ago at a parts heaven swap meet, so my first thought was it was probably for sale in the first place because it didn't have baffles, but I am not sure. My engine was recently completely rebuilt with some precious parts I'd hate to ruin it...

A flashlight down the filler fitting or better yet a bore scope.. To bd honest 20 years no issues I would just use it but clean it 1st
Justinp71
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2019, 05:54 PM) *

A flashlight down the filler fitting or better yet a bore scope.. To bd honest 20 years no issues I would just use it but clean it 1st

Thanks Ben. I did put a flashlight down the oil hole and saw a glimpse of a horizontal baffle, but couldn't tell if there were any baffles lower. I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

mb911
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 16 2019, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2019, 05:54 PM) *

Thanks Ben. I did put a flashlight down the oil hole and saw a glimpse of a horizontal baffle, but couldn't tell if there were any baffles lower. I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

Any tanks prior to mine only have 1 horizontal baffle.. I think your fine..
sixnotfour
you could save some weight by changing it out thou.... happy11.gif beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 16 2019, 12:13 PM) *

I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

Get an 8mm, lets you bend it enough to see most of the cylinder walls.

I have a cheap amazon deal, wifi, micro usb chargeable, pic and vid, works on a tablet.
You also want one that's bendable, but has enough stiffness to stay put, the ones with a floppy cable are almost useless.

IIRC they call it an endoscope on amazon.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 16 2019, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 16 2019, 12:13 PM) *

I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

Get an 8mm, lets you bend it enough to see most of the cylinder walls.

I have a cheap amazon deal, wifi, micro usb chargeable, pic and vid, works on a tablet.
You also want one that's bendable, but has enough stiffness to stay put, the ones with a floppy cable are almost useless.

IIRC they call it an endoscope on amazon.

I just got one. $22 and it connects to my phone or tablet. It’s a 6 or 8 foot cord so it’s a lot more useful than the old handheld units with a b/w screen. The resolution is very good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.