Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A kick in the box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
23e Heure
The box in my GT is sick... second gear lost two teeth, and the debris ran through all the bearings.

We now have the box dismantled, and the parts list needed to rebuild it is scary.
Almost all of the bearings, a new input shaft, new 1st and 2nd gears... :shock:
It doesn't help that it has - and will have again - custom (longer) ratios, and a 904 input shaft.

I am therefore looking for all and any options to rebuild the existing box, and/or buy a good used one to use as a starting point.

If you have gearbox parts, or a box to sell, please let me know!

IPB Image

PS. If this should be in another part of the forum, apologies for posting here: admins please feel free to move the thread.
gereed75
Dr Evil could probably help. He is a 901 guru. Contact him here.
adolimpio
I think I have the parts you need from a donor box, but are you really across the pond?

I suspect shipping will be an issue.
GregAmy
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Aug 16 2019, 07:25 AM) *

It doesn't help that it has - and will have again - custom (longer) ratios, and a 904 input shaft.

@ChrisFoley modified my 901 shaft to accept gears (and re-geared the rest). Will be running it on-track Labor Day weekend at Lime Rock...
mepstein
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Aug 16 2019, 03:50 PM) *

I think I have the parts you need from a donor box, but are you really across the pond?

I suspect shipping will be an issue.

Parcel monkey .com has great overseas rates. You print up the form and drop it off at a ups shipper.
wysri9
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Aug 16 2019, 04:25 AM) *

The box in my GT is sick... second gear lost two teeth, and the debris ran through all the bearings.

We now have the box dismantled, and the parts list needed to rebuild it is scary.
Almost all of the bearings, a new input shaft, new 1st and 2nd gears... :shock:

I am therefore looking for all and any options to rebuild the existing box, and/or buy a good used one to use as a starting point.

If you have gearbox parts, or a box to sell, please let me know!

IPB Image

PS. If this should be in another part of the forum, apologies for posting here: admins please feel free to move the thread.

I have much sympathy but also may be able to help. Please PM me and lets see where it goes. I am currently in Canada but back in Scotland on the 27th. I am based near Aberdeen.

smile.gif
23e Heure
Thanks guys, and to those who sent me PMs.

I have a lot of research and thinking to do, before I decide what to do!

I have the option to do a 915 conversion... So will start a thread about that to garner opinion!
GeorgeRud
If you have a high power motor, the 915 is a good (albeit expensive) option. However, a lot of folks felt that the 914 gearboxes are pretty tough if you’re not stupid with starts from a dead stop.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there are hundreds of used 914 transmissions easily available cheap but all of questionable character. The rebuild parts are very expensive, the labor to do it reasonable. SO a quandary. We used to take one gearbox apart to repair another because long ago we had many many many low mile gearboxes out of hard crashed 914s.

Most of the time it is the dog teeth and sliders that are bad, so finding good used ones is not easy. With all of that said, if you have your original transmission, I would work with it and buy the syncros and sliders and dog teeth new and anything else (even bearings) usedClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Dr Evil
My storage is about 1/4 of Auto Atlanta's pic smile.gif

I have two 904 shafts listed long ago, all gears, parts, I get new bearings at discount. Let me know if I can help. I have shipped all over the world.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if anyone can save your gearbox inexpensively dr evil can

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 20 2019, 12:00 PM) *

My storage is about 1/4 of Auto Atlanta's pic smile.gif

I have two 904 shafts listed long ago, all gears, parts, I get new bearings at discount. Let me know if I can help. I have shipped all over the world.

23e Heure
Thanks everyone for your kind responses and PMs so far.

I've got lucky and been donated a rebuilt 915.
I say 'lucky' because of course I now have the whole challenge of 916 conversion.

Chris Foley is already helping out with some of the shifter parts, and I plan to go with the 916 conversion from Germany
https://www.bugat5speed.de/en/porsche-cars/...for-porsche-914

I'll be sure to keep coming back to the forum here for updates, and when I need to ask for more ideas and guidance...

Cheers!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Aug 21 2019, 07:51 AM) *

Thanks everyone for your kind responses and PMs so far.

I've got lucky and been donated a rebuilt 915.
I say 'lucky' because of course I now have the whole challenge of 916 conversion.

Chris Foley is already helping out with some of the shifter parts, and I plan to go with the 916 conversion from Germany
https://www.bugat5speed.de/en/porsche-cars/...for-porsche-914

I'll be sure to keep coming back to the forum here for updates, and when I need to ask for more ideas and guidance...

Cheers!

Please post a progress thread as you undertake the swap... very helpful to others as time goes by...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.