Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nurburgring Oldtimer GP 2019
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
23e Heure
4 of us Brits took a road trip last week to the Old-timer GP at the Nurburgring.

The original plan had been for me to take my 914, but a gearbox failure put paid to that so I went in my 911.

The trip actually started 2 days before the event in Germany, with Stephen (defianty) flying out to meet me in Brittany (western France), where I'd been spending time with family.

Stephen and I spent a day and half driving all the way across France to meet our friends at Spa in Belgium, before convoying to Nurburgring.
Since Stephen and I were not rushed, we plotted a route to avoid autoroutes (freeways), and instead only use two lane (and sometime single lane!) roads all the way.

On Day 1, we stopped off at Le Mans:

IPB Image

Had lunch at the famous "Hotel De France", favourite place to stay during Le Mans for many famous drivers since the 50s:

IPB Image

Took turns at thrashing the 911 over fast and clear French country roads:

IPB Image

Before overnighting in Reims, bubbly capital of France's Champagne region.
23e Heure
On Day 2, I was up before the sun, to get some nice album shots of the car at the old grandstands at Reims-Gueux:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then we continued eastward, finding ourselves cruising single lane roads in the company of other old German machinery:

IPB Image

And discovering hilltop, forested medieval towns:

IPB Image

Before reaching Spa Francorchamps, where several hundred air-cooled cars were convening for this year's 'Le Bug Show' meeting:

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
There we hooked up with our other viper green partners in crime for the weekend, who had arrived in Spa from the UK.

We crossed over the border from Belgium into Germany, and took it all in.
The roads around the Eiffel mountains around the ring are simply outstanding. Sweeping curves, up and down through open fields, and into wooded blinds...
Unlimited opportunity to thrash the cars!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

...Before finally arriving at the house we were renting as accommodation for the weekend:

IPB Image
Big Len
Great pics. Keep'em coming.
23e Heure
"Yeah, but what about 914s??" I hear you ask.

Well it is the 50th birthday of our favourite model, and Porsche Club Deutschland did make an effort at the Oldtimer to promote that.

There were a variety of cars, mostly original non-modded examples.
The Germans clearly liked oranges, yellows and reds back in the 70s!

Here are four of the oranges we saw, all slightly different... Can you name them?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Never seen this shade before. It's orange, but with a unique and distinctly peachy hue to it:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
And here is another orange - different again to the ones in the previous post.

Plus 3 yellows, all different.

Great to have the opportunity to see similar colours but different shades all together!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
Sadly there were no 914s actually racing there this weekend, but we did spot one plucky owner taking his car around the full length Nordschleife, for some of the public "Touristenfahrten"

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
If there weren't any 914 race cars there, there were a few of the 914s older brother taking to the circuit.

Some 904s... No captions needed!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Another:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And another:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

...And another!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
I have loads more photos of interesting cars in the paddocks and on track, but I'd better go back to work.

This is one of Europe's greatest historic race events, and it is located in a stunning part of the world: I think it well worth the trip over from the US.

When the sun is shining, and you have a good seat, racing in the Eiffel mountains is a slice of pure fried gold...

IPB Image
defianty
It was a fantastic trip, I'll addsome more photos once James has finished, although I think he's got it covered. Already looking forward to the next trip which will be Le Mans Classic next year and I'll finally be there in my car!
Dion
Absolutely Epic. Thanks for sharing that! Hopefully Classic Porsche mag will have some coverage. Way to go guys! beerchug.gif
76-914
Thx for posting those pics. beerchug.gif
914-300Hemi
Looks like an epic trip. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Added to the bucket list. Just need to plant the seed with the wife.
sb914
Nice job James ! You bring new meaning to the term “living the dream”.
Did you guys drive as aggressive as us so cal boys ? aktion035.gif
23e Heure
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 16 2019, 03:28 PM) *

Did you guys drive as aggressive as us so cal boys ? aktion035.gif

If you look closely at the third photo in Post#3, the in car pic Stephen snapped with me behind the wheel, there should be a clue to the answer somewhere for you...
It's mph, not kph. And that snap was not even nearly close to the hardest we were pushing. On country two lane roads. With the sun in our eyes.. driving.gif
ValcoOscar
Great thread James...love the photos. What a backdrop!!!!
Well, you outdid our PCH drive smilie_pokal.gif

Gotta love those 904's beerchug.gif

Oscar
DRPHIL914
wow thanks for sharing! lots of orange and yellow 914's! any Copper Metallic ones?? or any other rare colors?

some day i want to take a ride out there thru the country side maybe for a Porsche outing like this.
sb914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 16 2019, 08:09 AM) *

Great thread James...love the photos. What a backdrop!!!!
Well, you outdid our PCH drive smilie_pokal.gif

Gotta love those 904's beerchug.gif

Oscar

I was referring to the drive home from LA.
23e Heure
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 16 2019, 06:45 PM) *

wow thanks for sharing! lots of orange and yellow 914's! any Copper Metallic ones?? or any other rare colors?

Sorry, but disappointingly not.

We saw one silver, and one light ivory 914... then nothing else but loads of red, orange and yellow ones!

You'd at least expect a few black ones too if, as we surmised, back in the early 70s the Germans were only ordering cars that made them think of their flag smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.