Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Momo Hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sithot
Having already received one Momo solid hub that wouldn't go on the steering shaft, on the recommendation of a gent who I buy tools and custom Porsche parts from I tried Amazon for what was purported to be a MOMO 8002 solid hub.

What showed up from "LTB Autosports" turned out NOT TO BE a solid hub as advertised.
Anyone can plainly see from the measurements this one wouldn't ever work regardless of configuation.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Before I raise the white flag I'm open to suggestions. Jimmy Tidwell made some of these at one time but as the market was covered he prefers to make things you cannot easily buy.

OTOH, Ive got a half dozen cool period wheels looking for a car. chowtime.gif

Thanks

Tom

PS: Box is marked 89-97 Mazda Miata but also has a MOMO 8002 sticker "for Porsche" on it.
sixnotfour
Its not a Momo mistake for sure.....lets see the box
Chi-town
There are 2 different hubs for 914.

Post a pic of the back of your stock steering wheel splines.

If there's a taper before the splines it's a late unit, no taper is early.

I have a used momo solid hub for late if that's the one you end up needing.
sixnotfour
FYI,,there is 2 8002,,,,the og one solid alum, the modern version is collapsible sorta design..

these both are 73-76
sithot
Here you go:

Thanks!
Tom

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
send it back ,,,,
#1 the one they sent is not a solid hub .
#2 miata and 914....2 different cars period.
8002 is the correct #.. I doubt they have a soild one in stock .

hit up @Chi-town
Chi-town
Momo doesn't make a solid hub any longer from what I was told
GregAmy
Call Louis. He's one of the good guys, fellow VW racer, wouldn't screw anyone. He'll make it right.

https://ltbautosports.com/

BTW, I buy *all* my Momo stuff directly from him.
sithot
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 16 2019, 08:16 PM) *

Call Louis. He's one of the good guys, fellow VW racer, wouldn't screw anyone. He'll make it right.

https://ltbautosports.com/

BTW, I buy *all* my Momo stuff directly from him.

I'm sure this is an honest mistake. I don't want to throw anyone under a bus but it is frustrating to get an item that was illustrated as a solid hub and then find that it wouldn't fit anyway.

Thanks.

porschetub
Yep as mentioned that early hub isn't made anymore and used ones are thin on the ground,I seem to remember early Golf and 944 are the same spline but don't know if you can make them work.
Larmo63
In my opinion, the stock wheel is the best looking one on a 914.

Click to view attachment
sithot
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 16 2019, 04:21 PM) *

send it back ,,,,
#1 the one they sent is not a solid hub .
#2 miata and 914....2 different cars period.
8002 is the correct #.. I doubt they have a soild one in stock .

hit up @Chi-town

PM Sent.
sithot
According to baseball rules I have now struck out. headbang.gif

The 3rd hub showed yesterday looking as if it had been used for "catch" in the warehouse. Missing parts and the box had plenty of shelf wear. "New Old Stock". lol

CSR from the company who sold it couldn't have been nicer and apologized for the issue. Gave full credit for shipping and return costs. I like this outfit and only wish it had turned out better.

I've noted that the 8002 solid hubs don't come with a horn button retainer. How does that work? Every MOMO hub I've owned always had one.

raynekat
First....what year is your 914?

Looking at this same problem myself right now. I have a 1971 914-4.
The solid adapter shown in post #4 looks like what you need.

Different adapters have completely different "architecture" on the side of the hub away from where the steering wheel mounts.
Some stick out and one is recessed (8002).
I'll bet you need the solid/recessed one (8002) that is shown in post #4, 3rd and 4th pics.
That's what I need for my car.

You will need to swap over the cancelling ring from the backside of your stock steering wheel to the back of the Momo adapter.

A horn button retainer is not on the adapter....it is just the center of the steering wheel itself.

Looks like 8002 do exist out there.
I just ordered a 8002 from Pelican Parts.
We'll see what shows up.

Here's a couple on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOMO-Steering-Whee...JgAAOSwJoNZ18TR
(Ten available)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Momo-8002-Steering...QgAAOSwSrNaTSJA

The box that was marked 8002 Miata was clearly mismarked.....bummer.
raynekat
This looks identical to my shaft on my 71 914-4.
Except I don't see the black plastic square "thingy" with the copper horn contact ring that sits on top of it.

I'll have the 8002 hub in about a week with any luck and see if everything mounts up correctly and report back here.

QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 16 2019, 01:15 PM) *

Here you go:

Thanks!
Tom

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
If you have a 70-71 914,, with the a 70-71 column,, you need the even more rare
MOMO hub 8000......it has the deeper recess you mention
sixnotfour
luisi model S5904

http://classicgarage.com/s5904.html
sithot
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 24 2019, 04:04 AM) *

Thanks for the link. I took a breather and went on to the next project which was tires. That's finished so the wheel hub is back in the crosshairs.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 24 2019, 01:04 AM) *

I bought one of those Luisi hubs for my 1970 914 earlier this year. The horn button plunger does not fit correctly in the hub. The ended up putting an aftermarket remote horn button in the dash.
raynekat
So I cancelled may 8002 order with Pelican, and ordered up the hub from classic garage.
infraredcalvin
Good thing you cancelled the 8002, I got one from rennline (solid) for my 71 race car, it fits but it sticks off the column about 1/2 an inch. The metal collar shown previously for a ‘71 prevents it from seating all the way down... the deep hub shown by sixnotfour is the correct part although I’m curious how far it extends the steering wheel, mine is almost too close (but tolerable) to the blinker switch when using a newer prototipo.

I was going to source or make an aluminum collar to fit, but pretty low on the priority list.

Please post pics of what you get from classicgarage, I don't need a horn so I all I care about is fit, would be miles ahead if it puts the wheel in the same place as the 8002.
raynekat
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Oct 24 2019, 05:28 PM) *

Good thing you cancelled the 8002, I got one from rennline (solid) for my 71 race car, it fits but it sticks off the column about 1/2 an inch. The metal collar shown previously for a ‘71 prevents it from seating all the way down... the deep hub shown by sixnotfour is the correct part although I’m curious how far it extends the steering wheel, mine is almost too close (but tolerable) to the blinker switch when using a newer prototipo.

I was going to source or make an aluminum collar to fit, but pretty low on the priority list.

Please post pics of what you get from classicgarage, I don't need a horn so I all I care about is fit, would be miles ahead if it puts the wheel in the same place as the 8002.

Will do....

There are all manner and thicknesses of spacers that you can use with Momo wheels. They come with longer screws and I've used them in the past. Easy and effective.
Beach914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 24 2019, 01:04 AM) *

I have the same one but haven’t fit it to my car yet. Would be nice to know that it works. Not really caring about a horn and can live with wiring up a separate button.
Chi-town
Easiest way to tell an early column from a late column in a -4 is by if the wiper switch is on the column. If it is it's a late column, if it's not it's an early column. (Does not apply to -6!)

The 8002 is the correct adapter for the late column. The solid one is no longer being made my Momo (called them to ask), the collapsible unit is still available.

If you need an early adapter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wheel-Ada...lsAAOSwWqtdqChq

If you need a late one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wheel-Hub...~EAAOSwhcJWKKA6

I have the late one and it's a nice piece, well made and fits both my Nardi and Momo bolt patterns.
sixnotfour

This doesn't fit a 1970 Porsche 914
raynekat
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 26 2019, 09:30 AM) *

This doesn't fit a 1970 Porsche 914

I absolutely agree....no way that will fit an early 914-4. Looks more like the adapter I have for my 73 911.
raynekat
The hub adapter kit showed up today from Classicgarage.com.

It's a good new/bad news story.

The good news first.
All the parts "look" good, but looks can be deceiving as they say.
The company that makes these is Luisi out of Italy.

I ordered the S5904 that is supposed to be for 69-71 914's.

Here is a pic of the parts you get.

Click to view attachment

The silver ring that the horn button is supposed to snap into has an ID that is too big to accommodate a standard Momo horn button.
Luckily most Momo wheels come with the correct silver ring that has the right ID for your horn button. Issue dodged there.

The adapter itself slides onto the column splines correctly and pushes on just right.
There is no big gap between the backside of this hub and where it meets up to the rest of the column.

Now comes the deal breaker to me....
See pic below.

Click to view attachment

The hole where the spring loaded contact pin is supposed to go is way too far inboard.
See yellow arrow.
The location for the contact pin needs to be a good 1/4 - 3/8" farther out.
Where it's located now, the pin won't ride on the copper contact ring but on the screws that locate the ring.
That's just not going to work.
Your steering wheel will either stop turning when the contact pin hits one of the contact ring screw heads.....or you'll just shear off or bend the contact pin.
Nice!
If you look at the Momo 8000 pictured in post #16, you can see that the contact pin on that hub is outboard much farther than where the Luisi hub contact pin location will be.

Time to come up with another solution as the correct Momo 8000 hubs are NLA.
Modifying a stock wheel might be an option except that they are very expensive being so much like the RS wheel everyone wants.
sixnotfour
Idea; encapsulate the plunger in epoxy in the correct location ??? blink.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
raynekat
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 1 2019, 09:25 AM) *

Idea; encapsulate the plunger in epoxy in the correct location ??? blink.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

That's a good idea....hey I had that idea as well.
Not sure the geometry of the hub will allow this.
It has a waist like a woman...the hub that is.

I'm thinking about a different direction.
Possibly a redesigned copper contact ring....or a contact ring from a 911.
horizontally-opposed
It doesn't look like the old Momo hub would be all that hard to replicate—914 Rubber or another vendor to the rescue?

I wish I had kept my extra, but it was just gathering dust. Had a sense they were thin on the ground, but not this thin.
sithot
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 1 2019, 05:42 PM) *

It doesn't look like the old Momo hub would be all that hard to replicate—914 Rubber or another vendor to the rescue?

Pete:

I'm in but without even considering liability issues I think it would be a low volume loser. For what would have to be charged I'm guessing most 914 owners will go the collapsible route.
Find some enthusiastic young car nut in engineering school. The school in question should have enough clout to own 3D scanners, 3D printers and a CNC machine. There's your hub. beerchug.gif

You can always ask Jay Leno. He's got "the stuff" in his garage. pray.gif

raynekat
Click to view attachment

Ordered a 3" 18 Ga copper disc today.
Will attempt to make a custom horn contact disc for my car.
Need a 1.5" ID hole in the middle plus a few small holes on the perimeter for mounting and it might just work.

I like the Liusi hub....just the horn contact pin is located incorrectly in their design.
Stay tuned.
I was going to try using the horn contact ring off a 911, but I'm not sure it's any better than the 914 ring I currently have.
sixnotfour
cool, beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 2 2019, 05:13 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 1 2019, 05:42 PM) *

Pete:

I'm in but without even considering liability issues I think it would be a low volume loser. For what would have to be charged I'm guessing most 914 owners will go the collapsible route.
Find some enthusiastic young car nut in engineering school. The school in question should have enough clout to own 3D scanners, 3D printers and a CNC machine. There's your hub. beerchug.gif

You can always ask Jay Leno. He's got "the stuff" in his garage. pray.gif

Muuuuwah. Yeah, the "L" word probably makes this a loser all by itself. sad.gif

Would be interesting to know if someone could "print" a blank with a plan that could be finish-machined by the end user? I dunno. Just trying to come up with a solution.

The collapsible adapters certainly look like the safer call, though not sure how much safer or less safe either Momo hub with a Momo wheel is vs the stock wheel with nothing collapsible at its hub?
raynekat
So here's the problem with the Luisi hub.
It all fits great and looks fine.
The problem is where the hole for the horn contact pin is located.

From the pic, you can see the center of horn pin contact hole is about 2.5mm from the center of the hub.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
As compared to the factory wheel/hub which has it's horn pin hole about 3.5mm from the center of the hub.
Is that a problem with the Luisi hub?

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Well it is a problem when you consider the horn ring contact that is in the steering column.
You can see where the factory pin rides up on the most out part of the ring.
With the Luisi placement, the horn contact pin would ride in the same area where the 4 holes for the screws reside that hold the contact ring into the steering column.

You'd either bend or break off the horn contact ring as you turned the steering wheel when the pin would hit the heads of the screws on the contact ring.
Or you might not even be able to turn the steering wheel as the contact pin hit the screw heads on the contact ring.

Not a good thing in either way....

Click to view attachment

You can see the issue in the below pic.
The location of the contact pin is not far enough from the center of the hub.
In fact, you can see the hole just peaking out towards the center of the hole of the contact ring (yellow arrow).

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
How about moving the screws outward and filling the holes on the inside ring?
sixnotfour
sawzall-smiley.gif
raynekat
Gave up on the Luisi hub.
It's not going to fit my 71 914-4 although the shop that sells them swears they've sold a lot of these and no one has ever had a problem? What?

Fast forword to today....
I bit the bullet, found and purchased a Momo 8000.
It fits great out of the box.
It was necessary to tap the 3 holes on the backside where the turn signal cancellation ring fits.
Done.
My only issue was trying to ground the horn button to the inside of the hub.
The Momo horn button I had in hand had 2 electrical connectors.
The Momo 8000 hub has one wire.
Something doesn't translate here.
For now I just snuck a wire underneath the large washer/nut that holds the steering wheel on.
Put that wire on one of the horn button connectors and the wire from the hub to the other horn button connector.
We have a horn.

How have other people completed the circuit for the Momo horn button?
raynekat
Momo 8000 hub attached to my Momo Prototipo.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
This is the type of Momo horn button I have.
Has the 2 electrical connections and the spring that holds the button
into the hub does not contact the inside of the hub.

Click to view attachment

Apparently, this is the type of Momo horn button I need.
The spring that does contact the inside of the hub completes the circuit when you push the button.
Why is life so complicated at times?
Makes it a challenge to get the button you really want (how it looks) vs getting a button that actually is functional...but maybe not your favorite as far as looks go.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
wow 8000 where you just lucky or is there a source??
now if you can find the marker lens beerchug.gif
sb914
Click to view attachment this is one I have for comparison. Looks the same but numbers are different. confused24.gif I
raynekat
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 17 2019, 10:08 PM) *

wow 8000 where you just lucky or is there a source??
now if you can find the marker lens beerchug.gif

No source for the Momo 8000.
Just an answered prayer I guess.
Put a WTB on the Early S Registry and someone had one.
Pricy bugger, but what are you going to do?
Not many other options if you want to run a Momo steering wheel.

Was almost going to go get a Nardi hub and a Nardi-to-Momo adapter.
Didn't need to in the end.

And yes.......that dang Italian marker lens.
It's still a thorn in my side.
I'm not giving up yet on that one.
Rob-O
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 17 2019, 09:09 PM) *

Gave up on the Luisi hub.
It's not going to fit my 71 914-4 although the shop that sells them swears they've sold a lot of these and no one has ever had a problem? What?

Fast forword to today....
I bit the bullet, found and purchased a Momo 8000.
It fits great out of the box.
It was necessary to tap the 3 holes on the backside where the turn signal cancellation ring fits.
Done.
My only issue was trying to ground the horn button to the inside of the hub.
The Momo horn button I had in hand had 2 electrical connectors.
The Momo 8000 hub has one wire.
Something doesn't translate here.
For now I just snuck a wire underneath the large washer/nut that holds the steering wheel on.
Put that wire on one of the horn button connectors and the wire from the hub to the other horn button connector.
We have a horn.

How have other people completed the circuit for the Momo horn button?

I did exactly as you did. I just snuck the wire under the large washer and put the nut on. I figured I'd feel it if the nut started getting loose. That never happened and I recently went back to the factory steering wheel.

Guess I never paid much attention to all of the steering wheels between early and late. But wouldn't it have been easier to just put one of the late canceling rings on the Luisi hub? Or for that matter, the early factory wheel?

By the way, there is a guy (in Mexico, maybe?) that makes small patches of leather with the Porsche logo embossed on them. They're designed to fit the Momo horn button. If you get one you may have to flatten' the copper or brass cone inside the horn button in order for the leather piece to have enough room to 'float' above the contact.

Rob-O
Like this...
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 18 2019, 03:25 PM) *

Like this...

nice! I may need one soon also.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 18 2019, 03:23 PM) *

I did exactly as you did. I just snuck the wire under the large washer and put the nut on. I figured I'd feel it if the nut started getting loose. That never happened and I recently went back to the factory steering wheel.

Guess I never paid much attention to all of the steering wheels between early and late. But wouldn't it have been easier to just put one of the late canceling rings on the Luisi hub? Or for that matter, the early factory wheel?

The main problem with the Luisi is that the spring loaded horn contact pin in their hub does not line up correctly with the Porsche factory copper horn contact ring that is in the steering column. It was going to be a major deal to get that sorted. There were enough other issues that just didn't make it worth the while. Momo horn button was too small for the Luisi hub, the factory turn signal cancellation ring does screw on the back of the Luisi hub...but it's clocked incorrectly. Just enough issues to make it unusable in the end...at least to me. Perhaps there are clever fabricators here that could have made that Luisi work; just not me. wink.gif
bdstone914
@raynekat
date='Oct 24 2019, 02:25 PM' post='2756993']
So I cancelled may 8002 order with Pelican, and ordered up the hub from classic garage.
[/quote]

I have a hub from Max Papis that appears to be correct for early cars.
I will try it on a friend early car.
I contacted them when I saw Pelican is now carrying them. I told them them appear to have a hub for the early cars but the cataloging was not correct. They sent me two hubs to verify fitment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.