Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cigarette lighter (cigar lighter) element fix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlacaProductions
Does it stay in on it's own while heating or do you hold it in?

Mine doesn't heat at all but I have confirmed that power is present in the socket.

I think the coil element may just be mucked up - anyone ever dismantle/clean/repair one?
Big Len
Same here, socket is fine.
Carl La Fong
Maybe you should just quit smoking. av-943.gif happy11.gif
milwlandrover
Mine works just as it should. I don't smoke so only use it if someone else smokes and the top is off, but it definitely works.
sixnotfour
never tried mine but works to charge phone.. confused24.gif
Jett
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 16 2019, 10:01 AM) *

Mine doesn't heat at all but I have confirmed that power is present in the socket.

I think the coil element may just be mucked up - anyone ever dismantle/clean/repair one?

You can buy replacement coils, but first make sure the connection is clean inside the receptor..
FlacaProductions
Militant non-smoker here but I'm the kinda guy that if something is supposed to work, I want it to work.

Does it stay in on its own or do you hold it?

I've done a lot of searching but can't seem to find coils - maybe I'm not hitting on the right search syntax.

I'm think I need to check continuity between the coil and the shell...

QUOTE(Jett @ Aug 16 2019, 12:31 PM) *

You can buy replacement coils, but first make sure the connection is clean inside the receptor..

Cairo94507
My recollection, from 30 years ago on my last Six, was that they stay in and pop out when hot.
bbrock
Below are the disassembled parts from when I rebuilt mine. The button should stay in until the element gets hot and then pop out automatically. The 2-pronged spring on the left clamps onto the coil attached to the button when the button is pushed in and the coil is cold. As the clamp heats up, it spreads apart until it lets loose and the button pops out. That should let you know what to look for when you take it apart. it's an easy job. Just keep track of how it goes together.

Click to view attachment

And here are the components cleaned and replated, then reassembled shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Mine works but won't stay in, I have to hold it.
bbrock
IIRC, I had to do some gentle bending of the 2-prong piece until it grabbed the coil tight enough to hold it when cold. Then I connected the assembled unit to a DC power source to test to make sure it popped out when the element got red hot.
Jett
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 16 2019, 01:10 PM) *

Militant non-smoker here but I'm the kinda guy that if something is supposed to work, I want it to work.

Does it stay in on its own or do you hold it?

I've done a lot of searching but can't seem to find coils - maybe I'm not hitting on the right search syntax.

I'm think I need to check continuity between the coil and the shell...

QUOTE(Jett @ Aug 16 2019, 12:31 PM) *

Here is the coil, if needed: https://www.aasesales.com/products/h0b-b52-...9b526&_ss=r
FlacaProductions
@bbrock and @Jett - this is gold. Thanks for the great info...fantastic.
On the list for when I get back to the 914.....
Tbrown4x4
I think Pelican has them too. There's one on my wish list.
Tbrown4x4
Sorry. Hit the button twice.
FlacaProductions
Interesting - one reviewer said: Unraveled when screwing into place. Junk. Dunk your existing one in CLR overnight and reuse it.

FlacaProductions
Update: It was as simple as two things - giving the coil element a good wire brushing and then a nice firm bending of the "goal post" prongs as shown in the first pic above from @bbrock . I did those things, shoved the lighter in - where it stayed - and then I actually jumped when it popped out. And it was hot.

So....fixed. But don't get any ideas that you'll be lightin' up in my 914 - just know that you could.

Huge thanks to everyone who chimed in on this trivial little thread....but it IS about the little things....
bbrock
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 11 2019, 07:49 PM) *

So....fixed. But don't get any ideas that you'll be lightin' up in my 914 - just know that you could.

Huge thanks to everyone who chimed in on this trivial little thread....but it IS about the little things....

lol-2.gif I know exactly what you mean. I've never smoked a day in my life but for some reason I get a tremendous satisfaction from pushing that lighter knob in, waiting for it to pop, then pulling it out to see the cherry red element. Just last night I sat in my unfinished car doing that... and pulling the light switch to watch the empty headlight frames pop up like the Terminator. Yes, it's the little things... av-943.gif
Jett
I put an NOS unit in our 75 last night, the PO(s) must have smoked a fair bit sad.gif so it was easier to replace.
porschetub
Never got one,PO put a fuel gauge in there happy with that anyway.
theer
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 16 2019, 08:36 PM) *

And here are the components cleaned and replated, then reassembled shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Bump to hijack the picture (thanks, bbrock)!

Anyone know where I can get that big spring washer?

Thanks,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.