Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much power / displacement before a front oil cooler needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi guys-happy Friday to everyone. Was having a conversation this morning about various engine swap options and the topic came up of exactly how much power, or displacement, when you reach a point of needing a front mounted oil cooler.

Obviously a front mounted cooler is a bigger commitment on time and money since you need to run the lines in modify the front trunk and buy the cooler etc., Saving a couple dollars to compromise the durability of an engine is obviously a bad deal, but at what point do you think a front cooler is actually needed?

Thanks!
mepstein
At the point that the on-engine cooler can’t cut it. biggrin.gif

Carreras have front coolers so I’ve always planned on one for my 3.2 conversions.
In fact, I removed the cooler on the engine since the front cooler is big and has a fan assist. Just like what Porsche did when they did the 3.6 cars.

I’m using Ben’s GT style hard lines on my 2nd conversation. I like them a lot. But my 1st conversation car just used stainless hose, A/N fittings and a Setrab fan pack cooler. The whole front setup was less than $1k including the oil cooler bypass plate.

I drilled a couple 1” holes to run the SS hose. I use the stock holes in the front and popped out the two round access plates in the bottom of the front trunk for exhaust air.. They are just held in with seam sealer. I cut an air inlet in the stock valance. The whole setup took a couple hours and a step drill that could go to 1”. No other cutting on the body was needed. If you want the full GT look, it’s obviously more work and money.
Tdskip
Damm it man, you are supposed to make it easy, don’t make me think!

For example, a 2056 seems like a no but how about a 2.2 or 2.4 Type 4? How about a 2.2 6?
mepstein
There was a thread on this a week ago. Bottom line, it’s engine, location and driving style dependent.
Tdskip
Oh cripes - missed it. Let me go look.

Found it - At what displacement an external cooler
ChrisFoley
We installed a 993 engine in a customer's car and chipped the ecu to make 300hp. It has dual Setrab coolers mounted under the trunk and it has no problem maintaining good oil temperatures.
Tdskip
Thanks Chris, that thing just REALLY move!
Larmo63
This subject has been beaten to death, but the general consensus is 2.4 /6 no, 2.7 /6 and higher displacement engines, yes.

YMMV.
Tdskip
Thanks, hope everyone is having a good Saturday.
burton73
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 17 2019, 09:59 AM) *

This subject has been beaten to death, but the general consensus is 2.4 /6 no, 2.7 /6 and higher displacement engines, yes.

YMMV.

agree.gif

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.