Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternater Problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
I took my car out for a ride and it was running well. The green alternator light came on at start and then went off while running. I got to the other side of town and the car died. It turned over slowly but would not start. I tried jumping it and it would not start.
I took the battery out and took it home and charged it over night. The voltage read 10.8 volts. before charging. I reinstalled once fully charged and it started right up. I drove it home and the voltage when I got there was 10.6volts. I charged it again fully and tested it on a small load tester at 560cca. and it shows a good battery.
I installed it and tested the voltage while running and I got 12.6 volts.
I'm thinking it is a voltage regulator problem (I will stop and get a new one on the way home) or an Alternator problem.
Any other ideas?

As always I am thanking you for your help.

Cheers!

markw
ejm
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Aug 16 2019, 04:06 PM) *

The green alternator light came on at start and then went off while running.

The green light is the oil pressure light, the alternator light is red. Get the red light working and recheck the charging voltage.
Spoke
Check the alternator belt first.

If the alternator belt is ok, check the following voltages:

All 3 pins on the VR as they come off of the alternator. Measure all 3 with respect to chassis ground with the engine running.

Check battery voltage from BATT+ to chassis.

Let us know what you find. This will go a long way to finding the issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.