Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marketing Research: Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Anton
What would be more appropriate to complete the stainless steel bonanza than a nice OEM style (banana) SS 2.0 muffler?

I am always jealous at classic 911s displaying a nice SS muffler at the rear. So, when my present OEM muffler has rusted away (will not take that long in The Netherlands cool_shades.gif ) I want a SS one.

Who would also be interested?
Andyrew
I would be interested if it looked like an oem, but was more of a big glasspack with a couple of chambers (not alot of mid-high sound, but a bunch of jucy, meaty deep low sound).
Maybe a couple different choices in performance? Ehh somehing for you guys to ponder on..
JeffBowlsby
I do I do...B has hinted in the past that its already under development...and may be available in the future...
914werke
ME TOO beer.gif
I recall that thread ..so Brad any update?
Jeroen
Hey Anton,

What are you cooking? I know you live close enough to EPS to be dangerous biggrin.gif
FWIW, I've heard good comments about the SS muffler that Mittelmotor sells

cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
I would be a potential customer if I had a -4 car; but I think most 914/4 guys would not be very likely to pay >$400 for a really high quality muffler. Check out the prices on the SS 911 (914-6) mufflers lately...and that is a much bigger market...
Anton
Jeroen,

EPS Hoogezand doesn't have a stainless (or any) 914 muffler in stock. They can only produce a single piece by hand. Since they work with already available components it will very likely become a "riced out" muffler sounding like a leaking exhaust. You know, the kind those Golf GTI and Honda Civic guys love so much... tongue.gif A friend of mine did have a custom made sports exhaust system from them, for one week to be exact. To his relief he was then able to buy a Supersprint system from them. Guess why?

As for the Mittelmotor muffler; not my style. No OEM appearance, large exhaust pipe diameter, and I don't like the "extra sound". mad.gif 914s are noisy enough as it is, so IMPO, the quieter, the better. Besides, it is the engine that predominantly determines sound character. All you get when you desperately want a "tough sounding exhaust" for an engine that simply doesn't sound well is, you guessed it again, the leaking exhaust sound. This all changes when you have a larger volume type 4 engine, let's say 2.4 liter, then you need such a bigger exhaust.

Oh, and to what's cooking: I'm curious whether SSI has picked up on manufacturing a SS 914 muffler? The SS HE are "bulls eye", so why not a produce a muffler? That was sort of the intention of this topic... cool_shades.gif

Cheers to you too, mate! beer.gif
Brad Roberts
Havent touched the muffler project in almost 8 months. It will look bone stock and be 100% stainless (unlike the Dansk muffler that is stainless on the outside and uses mild steel on the inside)

Our problem is: we dont have a machine that will handle a production run. We are working with a company in LA that will stamp the "clamshells" for us and we will assemble them here and bend the needed pipes until we can purchase the machine to do it in house (we are attending auctions once a month looking for one)

Still a year out (easy)

B
Anton
Brad, thanks for responding.

I'll be waiting then, biding my time...

Anton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.