Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9-4-green
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
AZBanks
Picked up the new nine-fort-green. Drove to Tucson early this morning, picked it up and drove it back to Phoenix. It got a bit warm in the cockpit with the top off around 11:00 am Phoenix time.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
Home sweet home.
AZBanks
It is a good 40 footer. The person who painted it was blind and painted it with a garden hose from 40 feet.

I took a buffing wheel to is to remove the worst of the oxidation. It looks better in some places and revealed more problems in others.

Something spilled on the rear deck lid at some point and stained/etched into the paint.

Oh well, it is a daily driver for now.
AZBanks
From what I can see, there is nothing but metal under that horrible cracked paint.
AZBanks
The interior is not great but not terrible. A new set of carpet and some minor fixes and it will look decent.
AZBanks
Dual carbs. It runs ok but needs some tuning to get the most out of it.
AZBanks
I am in the house posting on 914world because I don't want to be back out in the hot garage finishing with the buffing wheel. beer3.gif
Craigers17
Nice car....I saw this on Craigslist a few weeks back.....based on what I'm assuming you paid for it, it was very well bought. Congrats!
AZBanks
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 17 2019, 05:29 PM) *

Nice car....I saw this on Craigslist a few weeks back.....based on what I'm assuming you paid for it, it was very well bought. Congrats!

My son is out in the garage putting a coat of wax on it and it looks so much better than when we brought it home this morning.
It runs pretty well. There is some hesitation in the midrange around 3000 to 3500 rpm but it had no trouble running 75 to 85 on the trip home.

With the work we did today cleaning it up, add a couple more days fixing piddly little things, and a less than $500 in parts and I could most likely double my money on it. (And I would have gotten away with it too if weren't for that meddling kid... idea.gif )

That meddling kid out in the garage would not be happy if I sold his new high school daily driver. hissyfit.gif

I'll take some good shots tomorrow when the light is better.
Tdskip
Score!

Congratulations
Spoke
Nice car. Good luck with it.

My 914 had a crap paint job on it. I proceeded to wet sand the entire car by hand starting with 1000 grit going to 1600, then rubbing compound, polishing compound, glaze, then wax. Looks good enough to drive really fast.
AZBanks
It has rock chips EVERYWHERE. Seriously, it looks like the car has a case of the measles. Not worth the effort to sand and buff. Just using the buffing wheel made it look so much better. We will stick with that and a good wax for now. The longer term plan is a complete repaint. That will involve removing a LOT of overspray.
second wind
I love this car and your energy will bring it back to glory days. Sounds like you did a good deal.....all the best,
gg
second wind
Just the way the headlights fit shows you found a gem. I wish my headlights looked that good. Whatever you paid you stole it.
gg
ndfrigi
Congrats and yes you got a good buy since you able to drive it home. Hoping the body is solid!

AZBanks
I have checked it pretty good and I can find no evidence of ANY crash damage. Every corner and all the sides look to be original. There are some minor door dings but no major waves in any part of the body. It has two rust spots along the inside edge of the drivers long but they are small. It has a little rust in the passenger side rear trunk that appears to have been coated in por15. The worst spot is the top of the passenger fender. It will need a 3X6 section replaced.

I am really happy with it.
AZBanks
Went to the emissions testing facility to hang out with Gandalf and the Black Knight.

AZBanks
Engine code W0122833
ndfrigi
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 31 2019, 12:00 PM) *

Engine code W0122833

Is the car between 70 and 72 year? W engine I believed are from 70 to 72.
AZBanks
When I was checking the car, I was really happy with the lack of rust and good condition mechanically. the one area I neglected to check as well as I should have was the wiring. Some PO(S) did some seriously substandard wiring work.

Nothing that can't be fixed but it is still annoying.

The silver cable with the red ends in this picture is just a stainless steel cable. It is being used as the ground strap.

The white and yellow wires are a home built wire setup for the license plate lights.

The green wire is to the starter.
AZBanks
When I was checking the car, I was really happy with the lack of rust and good condition mechanically. the one area I neglected to check as well as I should have was the wiring. Some PO(S) did some seriously substandard wiring work.

Nothing that can't be fixed but it is still annoying.

The silver cable with the red ends in this picture is just a stainless steel cable. It is being used as the ground strap.

The white and yellow wires are a home built wire setup for the license plate lights.

The green wire goes to the starter.
sixnotfour
needs a transmission to trunk floor ground strap (factory), and ground will be good,,, 1 down
AZBanks
Working on a tune-up. Trying to get it to pass emissions.
Points, condensor, plugs, cap & rotor.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 4 2019, 09:28 PM) *

Working on a tune-up. Trying to get it to pass emissions.
Points, condensor, plugs, cap & rotor.

Still require emission in your state? Is it just California that exempt 75 and older?
AZBanks
Emissions result from Saturday
Larmo63
So, Arizona is even KOOKIER than California when it comes to old cars?

I didn't think it possible.
michael7810
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 4 2019, 10:06 PM) *

You probably know this, but get classic car insurance and registration and you don’t need emissions test.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 5 2019, 08:38 AM) *

You probably know this, but get classic car insurance and registration and you don’t need emissions test.

If his son wants to daily this car in HS (which is a terrible idea BTW) collector car insurance is a non-starter.

Zach
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 5 2019, 01:06 AM) *

Running rich... CO is rich/lean indicator and high HC indicates misfire / unburned fuel.
ValcoOscar
Congrats Eric-

beerchug.gif

Nice score...enjoy!!!

I sent you a little something...should arrive today.

Oscar
Coondog
What happened to your other 914 project.
michael7810
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 5 2019, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 5 2019, 08:38 AM) *

If his son wants to daily this car in HS (which is a terrible idea BTW) collector car insurance is a non-starter.

Zach

Oh. In that case Jack at Stuttgart SW has a 914 exhaust with a catalytic converter that he bolts on to pass emissions if you don’t get it to pass.
AZBanks
I daily drove a 914 my senior year in high school and it was AWESOME!
OTOH, I've never been known to back away from a really good terrible idea. screwy.gif

Yes, every once in a while Arizona has to do something to make California laws look good.

Michael,
I can not get collector car insurance because of the intended use of the car and the fact that my son does not have another vehicle to use as his "daily driver".
I think is is messed up that even with a 48 year old Porsche, no collector insurance means no collector plate and no collector plate means I have to get it to pass emissions.

I am trying to reach my state reps and senator to see if the law can be changed to remove the collector insurance requirement to get a collector plate.

I am definitely having a misfire and unburned fuel. I am getting a backfire up through the carbs.
I replaced the points, condensor, cap and rotor, and the plugs.
I am going to adjust the valves and then check the timing.
If those things don't fix the problems, I'll start looking into the carbs.

Doug,
My son and I are still working on the original project but I travel for work A LOT so progress is really SLOW!!!!

We picked this up so he would have something to drive while we work on the project.

Any advice or ideas to get this to pass emissions would be greatly appreciated.

On a REALLY good note, I had to switch insurance companies to do it but adding the 914 with full coverage and adding my 17 year old son as a driver bumped my monthly insurance premium by less than $100.

I was expecting my insurance to double just for adding my son as an insured driver so I am pretty stoked.

Oscar,
Thanks!!!, I am looking forward to it's arrival. beerchug.gif
Coondog
Drop it off at anyone of these places, have the do a complete safety check while your at it and replace all the fuel lines..

Don Jackson Enterprises
Phoenix, AZ

Exotic Motorwerks
Scottsdale, AZ

Beck's European
Scottsdale, AZ

Stuttgart Southwest German
Tempe Az

All these shops have tons of 914 experience.
AZBanks
If I don't get it to pass emissions today, I am taking it to Don Jackson(DJ) tomorrow.

DJ and Becks have done alignments on my 944 turbo and 944 S2 cab.

Oscar,
I got the stuff. Thank you very much! Love the hat and the key fob.

AZBanks
Improved in some areas, got worse in others.

I am still getting back fires especially during deceleration.

AZBanks
I would like to petition the Arizona Department of Game and Fish to start a bounty program on previous owners who do stupid $h!+.

Square head screw???
AZBanks
I don't know if it was the same PO but someone tried to patch the front valance.
They used body filler to put in a second layer of sheet metal behind the rusty damaged section of the valance.

I am debating what to do with this valance. Is it worth the effort to cut out the bad parts and weld in a properly formed replacement section?

Should I fix it or replace it with something more aggressive.
AZBanks
Worst side of the valance.
AZBanks
Close up after I removed most of the body filler and badly rusted metal.
AZBanks
Back side of valance damage.
AZBanks
Other end of valance.
AZBanks
Back side of other end.
Coondog
Those are easy to replace and cheap. Save your anger for the big items that are going to piss you off.... headbang.gif
AZBanks
Ordered a flow meter so I can adjust the carbs.

Working on a few cosmetic items while I wait.

The car came with a really old mismatched set of GM lap belts so they got replaced.
AZBanks
The bumper tops spent the last 48 years suffering through the Arizona sun. They have/had some major splits and they were extremely dry rotted.

This is not a show car, it is a high school daily driver so...

5 cans of plastidip later and they are almost ready to go back on the car. Curing overnight and then 2 more cans should do the trick.
AZBanks
I've been traveling a lot so not much has been done. It still doesn't pass emissions.

I've joked with my son that I am going to remove one of the spark plug wires to make it slower.

So today I'm starting to do some work on it, (new starter Bosch SR68X and some other minor things) and just messing around, I decided to pull one of the plug wires off at the distributor. It got me with a few arcs but the worst thing is, nothing changed. The car ran exactly the same with the one plug wire pulled. Then I put it back and tried another. Still no change. pulling the plug wires for both cylinders on the drivers side of the car did not change how the engine was running at all. I guess that is a clue to start figuring out why it is running like that and a good indication why it won't pass emissions.
michael7810
If you have Weber’s there is a good chance an idle jet is plugged. LMK if you need help. I have a couple books plus a great how-to guide for tuning carbs.
AZBanks
We still have some tuning to do but we got it cleaned up so he can have it in his senior pictures. These are just some camera shots in the driveway. The real senior pictures will look much better.

AZBanks
A few more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.