Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kennedy Engineering Clutch Conversion Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
Finally getting close to installing the engine and today I wanted to get the gearbox on. When installing my Kennedy Engineering Clutch Conversion Kit I realised I've no idea of the torque specs?

Does anyone have a clue? Would a dab of lock tight loctite be advisable?

IPB Image

Thanks.
Mark Henry
Stock spec, 17-18 pounds. even cross pattern, 1/2 turn at a time.
Before it starts clamping on the disc I do a slight side pressure circle motion with the centering tool, then center it in relation of the fingers.
No loctite, I've never seen an issue, it's not really the bolts holding it on, it's the clamping force.
mepstein
This is from kep for the 3.2
@defianty
defianty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2019, 04:57 PM) *

Before it starts clamping on the disc I do a slight side pressure circle motion with the centering tool, then center it in relation of the fingers.
No loctite, I've never seen an issue, it's not really the bolts holding it on, it's the clamping force.

Thanks Mark, That's what I've done them too. In fact possibly a touch more as my torque wrenches lowest setting is 20 pounds.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 18 2019, 04:58 PM) *

This is from kep for the 3.2
@defianty

That's interesting I hadn't seen that before. I did wonder if it should be tighter as the pressure plate bolts go through the starter ring into the flywheel. 18 pounds didn't seem enough.
76-914
If those are the stock bolts Mark is correct. It doesn't take much to shear them. Ask me how I know! headbang.gif
mepstein
I think mine came with bolts or I purchased separately. Too long ago to remember.
Mark Henry
I can't remember, even though I made my own conversion clutch, but are the 9 bolt flys 10mm? If so and the bolts are 10mm then my spec was wrong and 30lbs (KEP instal instructions) sounds reasonable.

My shop built 3.0 conversion ring and clutch:

IPB Image

IPB Image
defianty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 19 2019, 05:59 PM) *

I can't remember, even though I made my own conversion clutch, but are the 9 bolt flys 10mm? If so and the bolts are 10mm then my spec was wrong and 30lbs (KEP instal instructions) sounds reasonable.

My shop built 3.0 conversion ring and clutch:

Just to make to clear Mark I'm talking about the bolts that go through the pressure plate and ring into the flywheel and not the actual nine flywheel bolts.
Mark Henry
I likely built my adaptor ring different from KEP.
My ring is only held in with 3 countersunk short bolts, then the 6 longer pressure plate bolts go right through the adaptor and bolt to the flywheel. I also machined in the 3 dowel pins.

I used an old VW bug flywheel to make the ring. Real hard steel I had to use carbide.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2019, 08:57 AM) *

^this is my procedure for just about every clutch I've ever done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.