Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canton 10 qt. oil tank level w/fron mounted cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
AnthonyM
Just purchased a non running 914-6 GT with a Canton front mounted oil tank and Mocal front mounted oil cooler (25 row .50L capacity). I know that 9 quarts is probably a safe capacity for a standard set up with a factory 914-6 oil tank, but how many quarts should I use for safe operation with this set up? No dip stick in oil tank. This will be a street car to begin with. The engine is a 2.7 with CIS.
GregAmy
I have a Canton tank on my /4 racer with the CBPerformance dry sump pump, and I found that around 8 qts in an oil change worked well.

Then last year I had @ChrisFoley fab in a tube so I could use a stock dipstick to measure. And I found that...8 quarts worked well.

Fill it with a desired amount and open the top of the tank to watch for adequate oil flow. Then observe the level on the edge of the de-foaming plate and see if you can visually see where the level is. I try to keep it slightly below the plate.
AnthonyM
My Canton tank is a 10 qt. unit and no dry sump installed. I thinking maybe 10qts would be a safe place to start with a 6 and this set up?
GregAmy
You have a /6 right? Then you have a dry sump.

We probably have the same tank: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-23-110r

As long as there's not ZERO oil in the tank, you have adequate supply for idling. Starting with 6 quarts should be perfectly safe, and then put it on a high idle and monitor the oil level until you can start to see the level. Then I'd knock off one quart next time.

You don't want the resting level above that de-foaming plate because then you're bypassing the purpose of that plate. My level sits roughly one quart below the edge of the plate.

If I remember, I'll take a photo of the dipstick tube that Chris fabbed. It's really easy if you have the welding skillz I don't, Chris def does...)
AnthonyM
Yes...it’s a 6 and that’s exactly the tank that’s installed in the car. Pics would be great!
GregAmy
Ah, yes. You remind Greg so he can go "ah yes, I said I'd remember to do that..." smile.gif

1st shot shows how it's mounted. Now, were I highly motivated I'd swap the fuel cell to a Patrick cell in the stock location and then move the oil sump tank to the front. But the prior owner put the cell up there and I'm not highly motivated enough to change it (it's a historics racer, not much of a performance need).

2nd shot shows the bung that Chris welded into the tank so I could use the stock 914/4 dipstick.

3rd shot shows roughly how far down I run the tank on my /4; I ensure there's at least something on the dipstick when it's running.

Last shot is as close as I could get to showing the de-foaming plate inside. You don't want the level at or above there, otherwise the oil cannot settle on it to allow the air bubbles to "de-aereate".

For my /4 engine, adding 8 full quarts after an oil change works great. How much you need will depend on how your system is plumbed and how much "excess" there is in the /6 engine.
sixnotfour
ive run this set up for 15 yrs.....when idling warm oil should at least be above the top baffle , or about 2-3 inches down.. 15qts

site tubes are great ,,dipstick ,,no ,,visual while running easy....
AnthonyM
I went out and took a picture of the set up in my car. Looks like we
Have the same Canton 10 qt tank. I’m not ready to crank it over yet, but just want to make sure I’ve got enough oil in the system.Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
that vent you need a catch tank, untill you get the level sorted, or your trunk will be well lubed.....
crank it over check the level add as necessary....remeber it will expand a bit when hot...
914 Ranch
I think my breather is one of the simplest I have seen. Not for show vehicles.

Click to view attachment

Jetsetsurfshop
Is this some sort of breather line? I've seen this on a few race cars. Always with a front oil tank. Think its a breather going back to the crankcase??
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Aug 26 2019, 11:09 AM) *

I think my breather is one of the simplest I have seen. Not for show vehicles.

Click to view attachment

And a Fram filter Joe? WTF.gif biggrin.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Aug 26 2019, 08:31 PM) *

Is this some sort of breather line? I've seen this on a few race cars. Always with a front oil tank. Think its a breather going back to the crankcase??

It's not the way I'd do it, but it may be a fuel cell vent line.
914 Ranch
Hey George, soirry about that, it's the only one I had that fit it last time I was changing the oil. I change the oil about every 100 laps just like the tires.This filter has no race time on it. I need to finish the car and run it.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Aug 26 2019, 06:31 PM) *

Old school engine vent to front tank...
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Aug 28 2019, 02:59 AM) *

Hey George, soirry about that, it's the only one I had that fit it last time I was changing the oil. I change the oil about every 100 laps just like the tires.This filter has no race time on it. I need to finish the car and run it.

No worries Joe smile.gif Just poking some fun. Can't wait to see you driving it.
914 Ranch
If I ever get her ready I'll be glad to let others play with her. I share, come drive her.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.