Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Switch Removal Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
So I've read all the threads and can't figure out what I'm missing to pull the ignition switch out. The steering column is out of the car and I can't even get the ignition assmebly to budge from the backside (side of the connectors). This is the phase I'm at:

Click to view attachment

Also, do circlips on both ends need to be removed to remove the black housing. The allen bolt is already removed.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

914Sixer
Turn the key to on position and pull up. Nothing else has to be removed.
Highland
I tried that with no luck. This is the key that starts the car and unlocks the steering, but is it possible I have the wrong key? Does turning the key to the on position release something?
Superhawk996
You need the column lock pawl to release and retract into the lock housing are you sure that is happening?

Column might be free to spin but still hanging up enough to prevent it from coming out?

Click to view attachment
steuspeed
Turn the key. Might need the steering lock to be off, so turn the wheel. The whole thing will slide out.
Chi-town
What year car?

If it's a 73+

There's a large Allen head bolt that comes up from underneath (have to remove the lower dash)

Take it completely out, remove the steering wheel and the c-clip behind it.

Slide the entire housing off the shaft.

You'll be able to get the switch from the rear with a single screw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.