Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear "Porsche" Panel for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
Love this rear panel for the 914 - click to enlarge pic.....

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914/Subie/Pictures/Pic03.jpg

Do they still exist?

Think nothing makes the rear of a 914 look better......just my opinion of course......

Thanks,

GN
914Sixer
Thinking Automobile Atlanta has new ones.
Chi-town
To install you need to drill 6 large holes in the rear panel sad.gif
Mark Henry
Purists hate them, I like mine enough that I have no motivation to remove it.

The 914 aftermarket version doesn't reflect like a 911 OE reflector, mostly because of this many peeps would cut down a 911 reflector.
Also you have to buy or figure out a cable or electric trunk release, some cut a buttonhole but IMO it looks hacky.
Gatornapper
Thanks all - push button hole not an option with the plate.

Maybe some day.

A PO removed the 914 - 2.0 badge from mine - no idea why......

GN
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Several years ago we bought the company that had always made them Z products. Was a very popular dealer installed and or aftermarket accessory back then when SOME woujld take a drill to the car (like those who installed hood badges, dual tornado mirrors, or ski racks! These days we do not well that many as most are restoring their cars to the factory look. Instead we sell the 911 one we make as an inexpensive replacement for the 74-86 911 models

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 19 2019, 06:25 AM) *

Love this rear panel for the 914 - click to enlarge pic.....

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914/Subie/Pictures/Pic03.jpg

Do they still exist?

Think nothing makes the rear of a 914 look better......just my opinion of course......

Thanks,

GN

Steve
You would think modern magnets would hold it on versus drilling the big holes. When I had one, I drilled an 1/8” hole in the “S” for emergency’s when the solenoid stopped working.
IronHillRestorations
I have a nice used one. PM me if you're interested @Gatornapper It would require drilling the tail panel, and a solenoid or cable release kit.
Gatornapper
RE: "Porsche" tail pieces for 914:

They normally make and carry these, are currently out, waiting for re-supply. Was a factory option on 914's originally. $225 Come with remote trunk release so button is replaced.

Part #RZP9141

I plan to add at some point in future.

GN
Gatornapper
George - did I just talk to you on the phone?

Was told some are coming.....is this the same one on the 911's? or does the 911 one fit the 914?

Thanks,

GN

[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Aug 19 2019, 08:09 AM' post='2739588']
Several years ago we bought the company that had always made them Z products. Was a very popular dealer installed and or aftermarket accessory back then when SOME woujld take a drill to the car (like those who installed hood badges, dual tornado mirrors, or ski racks! These days we do not well that many as most are restoring their cars to the factory look. Instead we sell the 911 one we make as an inexpensive replacement for the 74-86 911 models

Carl La Fong
I like mine. I have been called a lot of things but NEVER a "purist". The only "original" parts on my car are the doors and trailing arms. laugh.gif
maf914
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 19 2019, 06:02 AM) *

GN

Gator, You may know that the rear 914-2.0 emblem on the 76 models was a vinyl tape label, not a raised plastic or metal script as on earlier cars. I have a 76 and always resented the OEM bean counters for saving a buck or two on that substitution. I have no idea if the vinyl tape emblem is still available.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes we have the 914 2.0 vinyl tape on the shelf.

QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 19 2019, 12:46 PM) *

GN

Gator, You may know that the rear 914-2.0 emblem on the 76 models was a vinyl tape label, not a raised plastic or metal script as on earlier cars. I have a 76 and always resented the OEM bean counters for saving a buck or two on that substitution. I have no idea if the vinyl tape emblem is still available.

Mikey914
The Originals were 911 ones that at the time sold for about $78 that the 914 guys cut down to show they are a real Porsche.

And yes take George up on the 2 sided tape
Gatornapper
Carl - LOVE the look - I'm not a purist either - I want what I like and could not care less what others think.

To me it places the car in the Porsche family visually and powerfully and at least visually removes it from being the unwanted step-child.....which all of us here know is not true for sure....

GN

QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Aug 19 2019, 10:19 AM) *

I like mine. I have been called a lot of things but NEVER a "purist". The only "original" parts on my car are the doors and trailing arms. laugh.gif

Gatornapper
George - did NOT know that - but my car was repainted 2 PO's before me and I guess they removed them.

Someone here has some for sale......might go with that until I get the plastic one.

Any reason the plastic full length one could not be held in place with good 3M double-sided tape rather than the pieces that require drilling?

GN

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 19 2019, 02:20 PM) *

GN

Spoke
You could light it up too. This one was lit using the strip LEDs.

sixnotfour
one option once its been installed and removed,,,,, flag.gif
IronHillRestorations
I always liked the rear reflector
Maltese Falcon
I prefer the '84-'89 Carrera rear panel with the PORSCHE in ghost font.
It appears in different lighting, otherwise just looks red
Click to view attachment
oldschool
!Click to view attachment
Gatornapper
Beautiful!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes certainly could be, just remove the studs and double face tape on

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 19 2019, 03:02 PM) *

George - did NOT know that - but my car was repainted 2 PO's before me and I guess they removed them.

Someone here has some for sale......might go with that until I get the plastic one.

Any reason the plastic full length one could not be held in place with good 3M double-sided tape rather than the pieces that require drilling?

GN

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 19 2019, 02:20 PM) *

GN

Larmo63
Some things that were IN style have gone OUT of style........

Click to view attachment

Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 20 2019, 07:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You look good in white
oldschool
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 20 2019, 08:57 AM) *

period correct piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Rand
My current 2.0 has one. It's not a priority to remove, so I haven't yet. I would never have added it. Please don't. I's just wrong now. It adds ZERO value and actually detracts for most. And these days, please do the right things to these cars. They are appreciating most without aftermarket crap attached.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 20 2019, 06:27 PM) *

My current 2.0 has one. It's not a priority to remove, so I haven't yet. I would never have added it. Please don't. I's just wrong now. It adds ZERO value and actually detracts for most. And these days, please do the right things to these cars. They are appreciating most without aftermarket crap attached.

Rand, Rand, Rand,
I’m sure you’re probably a nice guy, yet you’re 914 view is very myopic. First of all, some of us couldn’t care less about our 914’s “collector value”. That’s another person in the future that I don’t know. Second, my 914 is willed to my son, and I hope that he derives at least half of the pleasure that I do regularly drifting it around corners. Third, I like the look of my 914 rear end with the reflector on it. Fourth, I have running light LEDs behind the panel that I would bet makes my car MUCH easier to see from the back at night, and thus much SAFER than stock. Fifth, I also have BRAKE light LEDs behind the panel, again vastly improving visibility, and SAFETY over stock. So I respectfully suggest that I have added GREAT value to my 914 in areas like visibility and safety that matter to me instead of, perhaps, some esoteric “value” to some unknown person two generations in the future. That’s just seems “right” for me...
beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rand
Enjoy your reflector. I'm not trying to take that away from you. Like I said, my car has one.

The true value of these cars going forward is getting more critical. I'm just saying, a car with one may be valued less. They are not cheapo cars to toy with as much as they used to be because the values for originality are going UP and will only go up harder on a serious curve. If you car has one, enjoy it. But adding one to a good car will now DEvalue it. Simple truth bro.

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 20 2019, 06:55 PM) *

Enjoy your reflector. I'm not trying to take that away from you. Like I said, my car has one.

The true value of these cars going forward is getting more critical. I'm just saying, a car with one may be valued less. They are not cheapo cars to toy with as much as they used to be because the values for originality are going UP and will only go up harder on a serious curve. If you car has one, enjoy it. But adding one to a good car will now DEvalue it. Simple truth bro.

Rand, Rand, Rand,
You completely missed my point. There are many other values besides dollars, that's all.
beerchug.gif
SirAndy
If you really want to do that to your car, get one of the genuine 911 reflectors and cut it to length, remove the studs and mount it with some double sided tape.

The 911 reflectors look a lot better than the after market repros which don't even reflect.
dry.gif

Rand
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 20 2019, 05:58 PM) *

Rand, Rand, Rand,
You completely missed my point. There are many other values besides dollars, that's all.
beerchug.gif

LOL, you missed mine. It's ok, do whatever you want to your car. A decade ago I did too. But again, consider where the value of these cars are going and how mods you make will affect that. I have no problem with you modding all you want. Just wising up a bit in my old age with mine. In the next decade, original features will be worth multiple of one with silly mods like fake vanity reflectors.
oldschool
Not sure what kind I have...it hides a few something back there?
Larmo63
You couldn't pay me to put one of those on my car.

But, to each his own.
Garland
I went a little different route. Used LED strip on the tail panel at the edge of the weatherstrip, and reflective tape on the underside lip of the decklid to reflect the light down.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 20 2019, 07:52 PM) *
I went a little different route. Used LED strip on the tail panel at the edge of the weatherstrip, and reflective tape on the underside lip of the decklid to reflect the light down.

party.gif
Jett

Great idea!! Do you also have an LED strip in the Center Targa Trim?
Rand
QUOTE(Jett @ Aug 20 2019, 07:16 PM) *

Goes perfectly with the 17 on the license plate. poke.gif
Garland
QUOTE(Jett @ Aug 20 2019, 09:16 PM) *

Nope it’s not a strip, it’s from a Cadillac deck lid, modified. Very bright. See bottom of page 3 in the link.

3rd Brake light my best try UPDATED WIDER

Click to view attachment
Garland
Goes perfectly with the 17 on the license plate. poke.gif

Couldn’t get the decimal point . beerchug.gif

Running:

1.7 914 Engine balanced
260 x 396 Cam .006
96mm Big Bore kit
Mallory Unlite Distributor 14004
Weber 40 DCNF (w/ very short intakes)
Air jet 1.80 Main 1.25
2.0 L exhaust
Gatornapper
Really really nice.

GN

QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 20 2019, 08:52 PM) *

Gatornapper
I generally do the opposite of what's "IN". And never don't do something because it's "OUT". In pretty much everything, I could not care less what others think. I'll do what I like for myself. I'm 74.

What's interesting when I've done things often considered "contrary" to norms, they usually end up being greatly complimented.

Financially I don't care about the value of the car - it doesn't affect me. If I sell it or pass it on, it will be worth more than I have in it. How much doesn't really matter.

And I'm far more focused on technical issues than cosmetic ones.......

But in say that, I want to thank you for showing concern for my car as an investment, and wanting to be helpful in that area. Your thoughts and intentions were commendable.

GN

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 20 2019, 09:57 AM) *

Rand
I respect that. And now I want to know more about what else you do! Can I come help?
oldschool
SWEET!
Gatornapper
Thank you for your post. Ditto to all your thoughts.

LOVE what you did......IF I get one, would love to do what you did exactly, so I'll come back for more details if/when that happens.

GN

Rand, Rand, Rand,
I’m sure you’re probably a nice guy, yet you’re 914 view is very myopic. First of all, some of us couldn’t care less about our 914’s “collector value”. That’s another person in the future that I don’t know. Second, my 914 is willed to my son, and I hope that he derives at least half of the pleasure that I do regularly drifting it around corners. Third, I like the look of my 914 rear end with the reflector on it. Fourth, I have running light LEDs behind the panel that I would bet makes my car MUCH easier to see from the back at night, and thus much SAFER than stock. Fifth, I also have BRAKE light LEDs behind the panel, again vastly improving visibility, and SAFETY over stock. So I respectfully suggest that I have added GREAT value to my 914 in areas like visibility and safety that matter to me instead of, perhaps, some esoteric “value” to some unknown person two generations in the future. That’s just seems “right” for me...
beerchug.gif

Gatornapper
Rand -

Was this reply for me, or someone else?

BTW, I own 6 motorcycles. Ride all. Too old for dirt bikes tho but friends ride theirs on our 15 acre property.....one of my bikes is a '71 Triumph Trophy 500 T100C scrambler that runs like new, starts on 1 kick, all original, bought from original owner 10 years ago. 1 of 3 old Triumphs - all award-winning bikes in vintage bike shows....

This bike now has period round mirrors - had none originally - were not required then...

IPB Image

GN

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 21 2019, 12:49 PM) *

I respect that. And now I want to know more about what else you do! Can I come help?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.