Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Caps for Fuchs, Pedrini and Mahle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WPEngels
Hi all,

Long time ago, after finding a nice set of 2.0L Fuchs, I was looking for the center caps that belong to them. Expensive! There's sets on Ebay now, a used set with "dents, dings and scratches" for $339.95 + $66.20 postage, or a NOS set for $799.95 + $75.25 postage, with "some small production lines in the sides of the caps, above the lips. Additional polishing would help".

So, I made center caps out of solid aluminum. After many evenings working the mill and lathe, I was very happy with the result. Until recently.... I had a cap CNC machined out of AISI 304 stainless steel!

IMHO the result was absolutely stunning, even without polishing. Photos are showing the result before and after polishing, and comparison to my attempt in aluminum and an original but dented cap. Now I don't like the aluminum ones anymore sad.gif .

I've been borrowed the original to measure it's shape and dimensions. And changed the CAD model to be as accurate as possible. So I'm ready for the next step: have a complete set CNC machined, matching an original one as much as possible.

But again, too expensive. Guess the 914 is called a poor man's Porsche for a reason. I got following quotation (subject to change), it's price per cap, not polished, without postage. For polishing, $7 needs to be added: 4 <=> $108, 20 <=> $46, 48 <=> $32, 80 <=> $26, 100 <=> $23.

Do you think these prices are reasonable? I also wonder if others might be interested, that way helping get the cost per set down. So I can get myself a set for a nice price as well.

And I don't want to make money on fellow 914 drivers so I'm perfectly okay with showing the actual quotation to people interested. And note, these caps will fit Fuchs, Pedrini and Mahle wheels, just push them in. There's clips that will hold the caps in place.

Thanks and kind regards, Wilbert Engels

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
The guys here are a great group but doing a group buy to save a couple hundred $ is a money looser unless you don’t value your time. I’ve done them, enjoyed helping people get what they want for their cars but there are easier ways to save money on Porsche parts.

Porsche makes a SS version that you can buy at your local dealer or online. Around $275 for a set of 4.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
mark at 914 rubber sells a nice 59 mm brushed cap and we sell a nice 59mm polished cap, I think that mark's are about 20 each and ours 29 each. No reason to make another although yours are very nice. Factory ones are about 90 each
Mikey914
Made some also
The devil is in the details on these
To get the proper polish you really need a commercial buffing machine

If you need a set Happy to start a GB for you it's been awhile. Much easier than herding cats. Just let me know
WPEngels
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 19 2019, 11:15 PM) *

mark at 914 rubber sells a nice 59 mm brushed cap and we sell a nice 59mm polished cap, I think that mark's are about 20 each and ours 29 each. No reason to make another although yours are very nice. Factory ones are about 90 each

I know, and they look really nice, both yours and 914 Rubber's. But I think stainless steel has a different shine or colour than aluminum ones. That's why I tried making caps in stainless steel.
rjames
I really like how the stainless looks in the photos. They'd go great with my polished Mahles. I'd buy a set for $100.

Mikey914
QUOTE(WPEngels @ Aug 19 2019, 02:20 PM) *

I know, and they look really nice, both yours and 914 Rubber's. But I think stainless steel has a different shine or colour than aluminum ones. That's why I tried making caps in stainless steel.

You are correct Stainless will look great, but you will need to use a 316 alloy not a 304 / 305 (which is more machinable), as it will brown. Galvanic corrosion will be an issue with the lower grade.
WPEngels
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 19 2019, 11:32 PM) *

QUOTE(WPEngels @ Aug 19 2019, 02:20 PM) *

You are correct Stainless will look great, but you will need to use a 316 alloy not a 304 / 305 (which is more machinable), as it will brown. Galvanic corrosion will be an issue with the lower grade.

That's a good remark, thanks. I'll check what the consequence of changing to AISI 316 would be.
sixnotfour
probably alum.. ???

http://www.allzim.com/store/center-cap-for...loy-wheels.html
davep
Which ones are those with the too small a lip? When I need more I want to avoid them. Damn concours weinie (judge).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.